What's new

LG BD670 won't play 3D Bluray..HELP! (1 Viewer)

Winman42

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Winston
Hey everyone. I'm having a hell of a time with my LG BD670. It wont play most of my 3D bluray discs. Apparently the player doesn't see
that it's connected to a 3D television. I have twelve 3D bluray discs, but only 3 of them will play: Conan, Priest, and Resident Evil Afterlife.
The others all give me an error that the player is not connected to a 3D TV, which it is. The tv is a Samsung PN50 C 680
I had this issue originally with Captain America, and LG told me to 'reset' the unit, which did NOT work. Any help would be appreciated, if someone else
has experienced this issue.
The LG unit is connected to the tv via HDMI, but it goes thru an HDMI splitter.
Winston

Winman42

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Winston
Well, I think I figured out the problem. My BD signal was going out of the LG unit via HDMI, into an HDMI switch box, and then to my receiver.
So the video and audio was going to my ONKYO receiver via the single HDMI connection.
I just ran the HDMI direct from the LG Bluray unit into the tv, and the discs all work now. So I guess for 'some' of the discs, the HDMI switch box is preventing the bluray unit from sensing the 3D capable tv. Looks like i'll need a different switch box at the least.
Winston

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Winston,

It's really too bad all 3D Blu-Ray players didn't include two HDMI outputs from the get-go. For so many folks, being forced to upgrade their receiver to one that supports 3D in order to get 3D video AND lossless audio is a big drawback.

IMO, it's just another way the whole 3D thing wasn't very well thought out by equipment manufacturers.

Regardless, I hope you're enjoying your system. Thanks for following up with the solution/workaround!

Winman42

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Winston
Yeah, this kinda sucks. What i did last night was plug the bluray output direct into the tv, start the film, then switch it back to the hdmi switcher, and it still worked.
So if I want to switch cables on the fly each time, i'm set. HAHA
What I can't figure out is why do 4 of my 12 3D Bluray discs work fine with the switcher setup, but the other 8 don't? Is there something on some of the discs that makes the Bluray player check
for a 3D compatible disc?
Weird, and confusing.
Winston

ddeerr

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
good
g.gif

Winman42

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Winston
Wow, I thought I had this issue sorted, but now it's happening on regular Bluray discs. Tried to watch MIB, and the tv would not sense a signal.
I had to feed the tv a signal direct from the LG bluray unit. This is nuts. I'm thining maybe its the Monoprice splitter that is not sending the signal.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I would've chalked it up to the fact that the discs you've named are flagged for both 2D and 3D playback, except that only two out of 3 are. Weird.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I am not impressed with my Monoprice HDMI switcher. It would not work with my Apple TV hooked up to it, and would only work with the PS3 hooked up to a certain port. Very flakey.

Winman42

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Winston
Well, I might have to look at the switcher as well. I'm just confused because all my other components work fine, except the bluray unit. I originally thought it was a problem with 3D discs, but now it's acting up on newer 2D films. Makes me wonder if there is some new copy protection that is not being sent over the HDMI cables or this switcher.
Win

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
After that, try running your 3D BD player through your receiver and not the switch. If the problem goes away, you'll know where your weak link lies.

ed5150

Auditioning
Real Name
Ed Campbell
I tried something similar with my Sony STR DH710 with the update and I was informed that another issue is all devices connected to the receiver must be 3D enabled (including cable or satellite). I am hoping changing the HDMI cable to a high speed cable will correct this as I cannot find any 3d setting on the Verizon Fios box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks