What's new

LG BD530 Blu-ray Player...Anyone have any experience with this? (1 Viewer)

chris_clem

Second Unit
I was looking for a new good mediabox to play downloaded files such as *ahem* MKV's and in my search I came across this:

LG BD530 1080p Network Blu-ray Disc Player

For the price of a media player I get a budget Bluray Player as well! On paper this couldn't be more perfect as my bedroom has no Bluray player yet (I have a PS3 in the home theater room). However, the reviews on the page seem to be all over the place. Anyone have any experience with this player?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
The features of streaming on the surface with this player are nice but my issue is with the player itself when playing dvd's or bluray! LG IMHO is not very good as a dvd or bluray player. Not when you put it head to head against other players on the market. Not all the players out there right now will offer you netflix streaming or youtube streaming. If you are looking for a upconverting dvd/bluray player you might do better with a Panasonic, Sony, Pioneer, Denon just to name a few like Oppo. You might even want to consider a Sony PS3 as that might have the ability to do Netflix and other streaming. And the PS3 loads blurays fast and it does a really good job upconverting dvd's so that might be a much better option over the LG? LG is a big company that is trying to be a huge company in a bunch of areas, like having Whirlpool, Sony and a few others mixed up into one big entity! Some here my disagree but IMHO LG is not a very good a/v company! There HDTV's in my opinion are over rated and there dvd/bluray players still get low reviews so I would not bother with them especially if you are a critical viewer and listener. Some of there offerings are cheap and other offerings are being sold at Sony prices. I honestly do not think LG offers anything special besides some features that warrent the higher cost like Sony charges for some of there gear. And believe me there are many times you are paying more for Sony just because there is a Sony badge on the product.

I will wrap this up by saying I do not have a LG player or HDTV in my home theater or do I have an LG monitor on my PC, never will!

hondaprlud

Auditioning
Real Name
Emmett
I have the BD570 and it works well enough. the dashboard to the internet is easy enough to use and it downloads the streaming content faster than our Wii (the only other streaming device we have). I've had it for 4 months now and am pretty happy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks