What's new

LG BD370 BluRay player: wont return to last position after stop (1 Viewer)

Argelius

Auditioning
Real Name
Argelius
Just curious if anyone has encountered this problem on the LG BD370 (or other player).

If I'm watching a movie and hit stop (as opposed to pause), when I push play again (whether or not the player has been completely powered off), the disc starts playing at the beginning (usually starting with the annoying FBI warning) and not where I left off.

I've scoured the instruction manual, but it clearly states it should return to the last position after hitting stop.

Thoughts?

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator
The problem is with the disc, not the player. Most blu-ray discs are encoded in such a way that doesn't allow for the resume function to work.

Try it with a standard DVD and it should work just fine.

Argelius

Auditioning
Real Name
Argelius
Thanks.
I did not know that about Blu-Ray.
Why, on earth, would they remove such a useful feature from the new, bells-and-whistles format?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
It has to do with Java content. They say that BD discs, without the Java content, works fine on resume. Use the "Bookmark" feature, to mark where you stop the movie..............

Argelius

Auditioning
Real Name
Argelius

Thanks, Ed.
Will have to try that. (I previously tried the "marker" button on the remote, but the "not available here" red circle with slash icon always appears. Clearly, I am confused....

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

One of two things could be happening; the "marker" feature could mean something besides the "bookmark" feature, or the "bookmark" feature is not available on that disk.

The very nature of the BD Java type content (PiP, multi-track mixing, branching, multiple views/angles) made it almost impossible to have a hardware implemented Resume feature. There are just too many variables involved to implement in hardware/firmware. Thus, the feature was left up to the disk developers to implement in software, usually via the "bookmark" feature. Some disks do it, some don't.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
On the discs that have the feature, most are using the "green" button to set a bookmark. Usually you access bookmarks through the "scenes" menu. Yellow/red are sometimes used for bookmark deletion or to list bookmarks, I forget which is which, might be different from disc to disc.

The BD-Java discs that don't have the feature are really annoying, you just have to remember where you are and use the scene menu to get back.

Argelius

Auditioning
Real Name
Argelius
I continue to struggle a bit with my new LG player. (And I swear I'm tech-savvy, so this is really annoying...).

I've watched about 3 different discs now and on all three the bookmark feature seems to be unavailable. When I press "marker" while watching the movie (or in the "search" screen), all it get is the "not available here" icon.

Driving me nuts not to be able to resume where I left off without manually remembering what chapter I was in.

I'll keep my BluRay player, but remain beyond annoyed that I can no longer resume a disc where I left off because I have to go pee or finish it the next day. Beyond pathetic....

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Write down the time passed, displayed in window of player, and fast forward to that spot when you return. Aggrevating to do this, but it's a work around.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

#1. You aren't hitting the right button! It's usually going to be the *green* button, one of the buttons marked A/B/C/D on your remote and color coded. Not the "marker" button! Yes it was probably poor design choice for them to use that name for that button, that's a non-std button only on LG players, and works probably only on non-BD-J discs. The BD-J discs have to use buttons that are universally found on BD players, and do it programmatically, that's why they use the colored buttons.

#2. There's no need to guess whether or not the disc has the feature. Go to the "scenes" menu. If you don't see a selection for "bookmarks", the disc doesn't have it. On Universal U-control it's in a different area, "extras/my scenes". If you are still confused you can post the actual titles one of us may have it and confirm. The bookmarks section of the scenes menu will also explicitly tell you which color sets a bookmark (usu green), and sometimes the yellow/red to delete/pop up the bookmark list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks