What's new

LFE effect in the Dark Knight Rises (1 Viewer)

sm8224

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
I have a question...My home theater set up is good, and the sub works great...shakes the walls and house when I want it too.
For the new Batman movie, I really had my hopes up for the bass, and when I watched it, i was less than impressed. I just figured they must have laid back a bit in the mixing. But looking online and from what I hear, the bass is supposed to be the best ever.
I had watched the Dark Knight prior to watching Rises and the sub was working great. When I put Rises in, it was almost non-existant. What could the problem be? Bad DVD possibly? anyone else have similar issues?
My setup consists of a Yamaha RXV2500 with 5.1 surrond using Klipsch speakers and sub.
I am at a loss and would really love for the bass to be there making the movie that much better.
thanks in advance.
Steve

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Hi, Steve, welcome to HTF!
I watched The Dark Knight Rises on blu-ray last night, and had to reduce the volume in consideration of the neighbors the bass was so high.
Are you talking of the blu-ray or the DVD? If you are talking of the DVD, perhaps it is not mastered up to the standard set by the blu-ray.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Maybe the majority of the bass frequencies are lower than the Klipsch sub that you have.
You don't mention the model number of the sub so we can't really check to see what Klipsch says the low limits are. That is one reason I use a sealed sub and an amp with no subsonic filter.

sm8224

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
I bought the DVD and not the blu-ray, as I figured blu-ray would not have any different audio.
I tried the DVD on my Denon system as well and nothing. Is it possible to have a poorly mastered DVD? I mean when the Bat was flying I expected the house to be falling down. And honestly nothing. Was like there was no LFE at all. Just normal bass. It pretty much ruined the movie for me. I honestly thought that my sub had died. So to test I put the previous Batman in and it was working as it should

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The DVD is lossy (probably 384Kbps Dolby Digital in this case).
The Blu-ray is lossless DTS-HD Master Audio.
So there is a difference in the audio codec. Now we've all heard Dolby Digital sound good. So maybe it's something else.

sm8224

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
My other movies are all DVD, and the bass sounds great. I just can't see it not being there at all. It sucks too since the movie is open already. I'd like to try and take it back and get te blu-ray now and see of its better. But I don't think Walmart will take it back. I really think the audio track is missing on this DVD. My luck.

sm8224

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Ok, update. I took the DVD back and picked up the blu-ray. Huge difference in audio. I had no idea. I have never run into this issue before until this movie. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks