Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Jim Mcc said:
Yikes !! Those look like 2 X 12's.
I'll have to measure, I can't remember. I think they are 2x12s, could be 2x10s. we then put a layer of 3/4" plywood, roofing felt, 1/2" plywood, roofing felt and another layer of 3/4" plywood on top. It was attached to the wall with lag bolts and then screwed and glued together.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Adam Gregorich said:
I'll have to measure, I can't remember. I think they are 2x12s, could be 2x10s. we then put a layer of 3/4" plywood, roofing felt, 1/2" plywood, roofing felt and another layer of 3/4" plywood on top. It was attached to the wall with lag bolts and then screwed and glued together.
Should have added a trap door so it could double as a fallout shelter. ;)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I need to get into home furniture.

I already build bespoke picnic tables, dog houses, cattery/rabbit hutch, tree stands/hut/jungle gyms.

$699 per seat? really?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
schan1269 said:
I need to get into home furniture.

I already build bespoke picnic tables, dog houses, cattery/rabbit hutch, tree stands/hut/jungle gyms.

$699 per seat? really?

What's crazier are the people who pay those prices. I will take my comfortable, reclining loveseat any day.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Come on guys, after all they are made from top grade leather! Now playing devils advocate for a moment. If they are exceptional quality and keep you comfortable for a Lord of the Rings marathon....

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm not saying they aren't worth it if you like the style and have the coin, I'm saying I'm not sure I can personally justify it for me. 7 of these seats with electric and shipping is over $5k...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I think I spent $350 each futon 7' frame. Each matress, 8" thick pillow top, reversible, were $300.

I was at $2000. (not counting the 2 sets of 3 mattress covers...which I've thrown away at least two so far)

Seating for 9 adults...12 kids.

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
Before I started building, when I was trying a couple of different arrrangements, I used lawn chairs and folding chairs. When I got around to the actual seating, I bought seating that would be comfortable seating just a bit more than my usual use. Most of the time, it's just my wife and myself. My arrangement is built to seat 4 adults. When we have a crowd, the bean bag seats and folding chairs get hauled in for temporary use. One additional benefit of the bean bag seats is that the bag can be pulled out and used as a bed elsewhere.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
That's very reasonable Bob, I wound up doing just that for the family room which has my old 5.1 speaker set up and a modern denon receiver. i bought consumer grade leather loungers to fit 4-5 folks and have added seats and pillows ready to move in to fit whoever is around. It's a good compromise between great sound and usable seating. The basement tho is currently and expected to continue to be used solely for movies where the big screen, full resolution of Bluray, and thunderous bass of a monstrous hsu sub make it an experience more than just a lounge around. I have no illusion of making a fully dedicated theater with acoustic treatments etc. but I want the seats to look and feel the part, just more luxurious than what you get at what passes for movie theaters today.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Oh yeah. My futons are 7 feet wide. Pain to find matresses/covers, but they exist. The good part, there is no crappy 7' futon mattress. So, the three give approximately 14'x7' flat.
Sam, can you post any pics of them set up and lying flat? Thanks.

paratus

Agent
Real Name
Jason
schan1269 said:
I use three futons in my theater.Makes for a great slumber party for kids.And...when kids aren't there...
I'm considering futons as well. Does the low back affect your neck or head when viewing for long periods?Do you use ottomans?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
When I'm at a 'puter, we have a futon discussion from 2004-ish(long before I was ever here) That I'll link to(Unless somebody else finds it first). I'm not a headrest person(Not even in the car). As long as the seat hits me in shoulder blade, I'm good. I'm easy to please in seating for two reasons. A thin 6'2"(195 pounds...and all leg) Have a penchant for '60s sports cars. If I can drive an Austin-Healey Sprite, with stock seats, for hours on end...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Jim Mcc said:
Any pics Sam ?
Haven't been around to take any. Mulling over a change anyway. While back landed a bunch of Infinity Intermezzo. Tempted to move on to DTS Neo X.Currently mulling over my 11.1 options.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I like the Irwin rockers, if you're talking real cinema seating. They manufacture for cinemas, arenas and stadiums! I doubt they would knock out 6 or 8 seats for my HT at an afforable price. They have a lot of choices and fabrics, and are the real deal.

SetWidth630-77-12-91-1A28.jpg

https://www.irwinseating.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks