What's new

Let's talk Bottled Water... (1 Viewer)

CameronS

Supporting Actor
Not looking to outdo Ron-P's Let's Talk Beer Thread :), I'd like to mention another refreshing beverage: Water.
By far, my #1 choice is Deer Park Spring Water. IMO, no other water beats the clean taste of this bottled goodness. There is no aftertaste and I can easily chug glass after glass.
Other brands off the top of my head:
Average tasting:
  • Pepsi's Aquafina
  • Coke's Dasani
Least favorites:
  • Le Bleu (bleh!)
  • Tap water
Got any favs that I could try out?

Anthony_D

Stunt Coordinator
I drink about a gallon of water per day...nothing beats the Brita filter.

Still though...Evian and Aquafina are pretty good too IMO

CameronS

Supporting Actor
nothing beats the Brita filter.
Really? Is the Brita comparable to stuff in the bottle?

At one time, my mom had a filter (not sure what kind); I'd drink it when I would visit her, but I still thought it tasted like crap.

If a Brita is indeed that good, it would save me a lot of money in the long run.

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
Deer Park is the only choice for me too!!!!
I love this stuff!!! No other water tastes as great as Deer Park, IMO.
My wife says Poland Spring is just as good, but I really don't think so.

I'm planning on getting home delivery soon.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Not really spring water, but has anybody tried that new "Propel" stuff, it's like vitamin enriched water that some have flavoring to them... They're clear and if you didn't look at the label, they look like another bottled water company but I had a berry flavored one and it was interesting, had a nice berry taste if not a little strong but was odd drinking clear water-looking liquid that had a berry flavor to it.

As far as water, when I'm thirsty my favorite water is cold water!!!

Jay

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
Aquafina is purified tap water (similar to the Brita filter). Dassani is purified tap water with a "mineral supplement" added by Coke (similar to the Coke concentrate).

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
I actually prefer Dannon bottled water over the more expensive Dasani. Aquafina I didn't care for as much. Must be my Coke-fed subconcious.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I'd never touch the stuff! I saw a TV report on bottled water and because it sits in the bottles, microbes form that are not in tap water.

I don't want to weigh one against the other, and I'm sure that tap water has things in it too, but I have to wonder what they're putting in the bottled water and/or purifying it with.

Glenn

Larry Price

Stunt Coordinator
Just remember:

Drinking Too Much Water Can Kill You: Report
Tue Jul 2, 5:34 PM ET
By Alison McCook

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - A new review of three deaths of US military recruits highlights the dangers of drinking too much water.

The military has traditionally focused on the dangers associated with heat illness, which has killed a number of healthy, young enrollees, Colonel John W. Gardner of the Office of the Armed Forces Medical Examiner in Rockville, Maryland told Reuters Health. However, pushing the need to drink water too far can also have deadly consequences, he said.

"The risk has always been not drinking enough," Gardner said. "And then people who aren't medically attuned get overzealous," inducing recruits to drink amounts of water that endanger their health, he added.

"That's why we published this paper: to make it clear to people that overzealousness can be dangerous," Gardner explained.

In September 1999, a 19-year-old Air Force recruit collapsed during a 5.8-mile walk, with a body temperature of 108 degrees Fahrenheit. Doctors concluded he had died of both heat stroke and low blood sodium levels as a result of overhydration.

During January 2000, a 20-year-old trainee in the Army drank around 12 quarts of water during a 2- to 4-hour period while trying to produce a urine specimen for a drug test. She then experienced fecal incontinence, lost consciousness and became confused, then died from swelling in the brain and lungs as a result of low blood sodium.

In March 2001, a 19-year-old Marine died from drinking too much water after a 26-mile march, during which he carried a pack and gear weighing more than 90 pounds. Although he appeared fine during the beginning stages of the 8-hour walk, towards the end he began vomiting and appeared overly tired. He was then sent to the hospital, where he fell into a coma, developed brain swelling and died the next day. It is unclear how much water he drank during the march, but Marines were given a "constant emphasis" on drinking water before and during the activity, Gardner writes in the latest issue of Military Medicine.

In an interview with Reuters Health, Gardner explained that drinking too much water is dangerous because the body cannot excrete that much fluid. Excess water then goes to the bowel, which pulls salt into it from the body, diluting the concentration of salt in the tissues.

Changing the concentration of salt, in turn, causes a shifting of fluids within the body, which can then induce a swelling in the brain. The swollen organ will then press against the bones of the skull, and become damaged.

The researcher added that previous cases of water toxicity have been noted in athletes who consume excessive amounts in order to avoid heat stroke. In addition, certain psychiatric patients may drink too much water in an attempt to wash away their sins, or flush out poisons they believe have entered their bodies.

In 1998, the Army released fluid replacement guidelines, which recommend a certain intake of water but limit it to 1 to 1-1/2 quarts per hour and 12 quarts per day.

It takes a while for these guidelines to get "permeated out" to everybody, Gardner admitted. In the meantime, he suggested that bases take notice of the mistakes of others, and "not wait for somebody to die from (water toxicity) again," he said.

"You can't prevent everything bad from happening," Gardner noted. "But when it does, you have to learn from it."

SOURCE: Military Medicine 2002;167:432-434.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I have been told that Dassani contains high amounts of sodium (salt basically). making you want to drink more.

I drink aquafina, and capilano springs, and others. haven't heard of a lot of those brands you mention...

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I don't buy bottled water, I have a reverse osmosis filter and find that to be as good or better than what I could buy.

Chad Ellinger

Second Unit
A funny story about Brita filters ...

Two friends of mine were arguing about the merits of Brita water. One insisted that the filter made the water taste better, and the other thought it tasted better because it was cold from the refrigerator. A few days later, the second friend secretly refilled the Brita pitcher without using the filter and placed it back in the fridge. When the first friend started going on and on about how great Brita filters were again, the second guy told him what he had done. The first guy was so angry and embarassed he looked like he was about to explode.

Anyway ... I like Brita water, even it is just because its chilled.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I absolutely can't stand Deer Park. To me it tastes just like...deer piss.:D The water of choice in our household is Aberfoyle...IMHO, the cleanest, purest-tasting bottled water out there. I drink anywhere from 3-6 bottles a day. In the rare occurence that no Aberfoyle can be aquired, I'll settle for Dannon.

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
Two friends of mine were arguing about the merits of Brita water. One insisted that the filter made the water taste better, and the other thought it tasted better because it was cold from the refrigerator. A few days later, the second friend secretly refilled the Brita pitcher without using the filter and placed it back in the fridge. When the first friend started going on and on about how great Brita filters were again, the second guy told him what he had done. The first guy was so angry and embarassed he looked like he was about to explode.
Sounds like good thing to do to a cable/voodoo believer.

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
I have been told that Dassani contains high amounts of sodium (salt basically). making you want to drink more.
Got a fridge full of Dasani at the moment. Grabbed one to check out the label.
Nutrition Facts: Sodium 0mg
On the other hand the list of ingredients reads:
PURIFIED WATER, MAGNESIUM SULFATE, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, SALT.*
*ADDS A NEGLIGIBLE AMOUNT OF SODIUM
Apparently they add salt as part of their claim "enhanced
with minerals for a pure, fresh taste", but not enough to....
Hold on a second ......... I don't taste any salt. :D

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Brita water is good, but how much better than tap depends entirely on the taste of your tap water. Where I live the tap water is pretty yukky, so I prefer Brita. As a matter of fact, I can taste the yukky tap water taste in drinks with ice made from tap water. I use Brita water in my ice cube trays.
When I'm out and about I don't drink "purified" water in bottles, it seems like a rip-off. I drink "spring water".
I think the nutrition facts are funny on water bottles. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks