What's new

Let's talk Beer (1 Viewer)

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Hey all, new to this thread.
How on earth did I miss it? I love beer! :D
Well, I don't consider myself a real beer drinker(meaning haven't tried a lot of different kinds), or claim to know anything about it, other than I like to drink it.
Beers I drink most often are:
Alexander Keith's
Creemore Springs Premium Lager
Creemore Springs urBock
And when I want to save a couple bucks per 12 pack,
Molson Export
I was at the liquor store today, and picked up a 6 of Grolsch Blond. Never had it before, but I'm quite enjoying it.

Shana

Stunt Coordinator
This is my first venture into anything non-HT in this forum since I apparently am still clueless in that regard, but I must say, I do love beer!
When I was 15 I was the chick drinking Budweiser while all my friends were drinking wine coolers.
Luv tha beer! :D
My favorite beer: ICE cold and crisp on a 100 degree day in Texas.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Firestone Double Barrel Ale, an average Ale at best. Pours a nice light copper color with a tan head that dissipates rather quickly. The nose has hints of sweetness and almost grape-fruity in nature, not bad. But once this hits the mouth, it bites. It's heavily carbonated and it's semi-bitter, that combination does not a make for a great intro. This beer really has no body, it's watery and it lacks any distinct character. It's decently hoppy, but that's about all I can say. The finish is nearly clean, has a bit of skunkyness and a slight bitter sting. Can't really recommend this one. It brews in at 5%ABV.
Peace Out~:D

Jin E

Second Unit
I just stocked up on my Samual Smith's Taddy Porter. YUMMY!!!

I wish I could get Yuengling around here... I quite enjoyed my samples I had up north. Import it to Alabamistan damn you!!!

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
ROn, thanks for the review. The consensus of the Firestone Double Barrel is that it is just too sweet for a pale. Looks as if your review confirms that.

Greetings to Andy, Shana and all the other newbies. You'll find Ron's "Let's Talk Beer" thread the friendliest place on HTF. Kick up your feet!

Ron, I too am searching for some Victory Hop Devil. Right up our alley

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Jin, now we are talking! I love Porters, SS does a nice interpretation. Porters are very much misunderstood and often lumped in with stouts.
Smoked Porter with some fine cheese mmmmm.
Stone Brewery does a wonderful Smoked Porter, thier 6th anniversary.
As for Yuengling, I am assuming your talking of their praised porter?
I am still on a mission to try the famous and universally praised Alaskan Smoked
oh yes, Let's Talk Porter

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
oh yes, Let's Talk Porter
let's!
One of my favorites, Orchard Street Porter. A malty/nutty/chocolatey porter with a slight burnt toast taste and a decently hoppy nose. The color is dark and deep, the body is thin but it has a nice dry, smooth feel to it. It is a nicely balanced porter that will not fill you up. The finish is clean, but not lingering.
Trader Joe's was my local stock-up store for some great Orchard Street brew's. Unfortunately, I've not seen it in stock lately.

Jin E

Second Unit
Ahhhh yes... I'm a HUGE porter fan. My favorites include:

-Grants

-Fullers (Love the stuff but I have a very hard time getting it)

-Anchor (I've found I've enjoyed most of Anchor's lineup!)

I too have had several peopl tell me about the Alaskan Smoked porter... I'm hunting for it too!

Randy_Sh

Stunt Coordinator
Ok. Porter's is the theme. Had to stop by the store and pick-up some provisions per the wife and it happens to be next to a cigar/wine/beer specialty shop.
They had several Stone products, Ruination IPA, Smoked Porter and Arrogant Bastard but I went for the local Richmond Brewery, Legend Chocolate Porter in a 22 oz Bomber bottle.
Poured very nicely, nice deep color, very nice head. Nose, kinda sweet, but not overpowering. Initially sip, not too bad. A very different taste than the Stone Smoked Porter. A sweeter, less complex flavor. Not as heavy. Finished it and had room for more. Overall preferred the Stone product though, had a more complex flavor.
It's been a while since I had the Yuengling Porter, but when I was in the Lehigh Valley, it was the best bargain going. You could pick up a case for about $15. Even better on tap. Yum!
I can't wait for tomorrow though. Taking Valentine's Day off, heading out to a local museum and then to a late lunch at a new Richmond establishment,the Capital Ale House. Thirty brews on tap and 200 bottles. Looks like they'll have the Belgiums that my wife likes-she's a big fan of Dubbels-and even better they have Victory Hop Devil IPA and Stone Smoked Porter on TAP!
Will report back my findings.
Bottoms Up!

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Looks like they'll have the Belgiums that my wife likes-she's a big fan of Dubbels-and even better they have Victory Hop Devil IPA and Stone Smoked Porter on TAP!
A wife who's a fan of Belgians, you hit the lotto man.
I'll have some reviews tomorrow to report.
Jin, Fuller's is a brilliant brewery. Their 1845 , I will review tomorrow. Already a favorite

Randy_Sh

Stunt Coordinator
The liking of Belgian beers helps. She's not a huge fan and all, but makes it more enjoyable when going to such an establishment. I think I can count on one hand the number of times she's had a beer just to have a beer at home, but she's willing to give them a try when out.
There was a small brewery back in the Lehigh Valley, Weyerbacher, that had a nice Dubbel and Trippel seasonally. We would stop by there every few weeks to try out something new on tap. Miss that place since moving down here. Saw some of there beers at a local shop, and the prices for a sixer were pretty steep. They're the manufacturer of the hoppiest beer I've had, which I mentioned earlier, the Weyerbacher Hops Infusion.
Cheers!

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
I know you guys don't live in Canada, but maybe you could help me out.
Where would I find all these beers that are being listed here? The only place I know of that carries the more "exotic" beer is the LCBO here in Ontario.
When I was there picking up Grolsch Blonde, I saw maybe one or two of the many beers listed here, but that's it.
Any Canadians reading this thread care to lend me a helping hand? :)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Andy, you should try all the Unibroe outings. They are a Canadian brewery that does some wonderful brews. Especially their Trois Pistoles which is comparable with a Chimay Blue. This is an award winning brewery that is highly respected in beer tasting circles.
Mind you they are very complex, and bodied ales. They'll be nowhere near the pilsner style of a Molson or Labatt's.
ok skipped on the Stone Smoked Porter and the Fuller's 1845 and went for the Fuller's London Porter. Man, does Fuller's do a great porter,
Pours a charcoal black with a nice tan head that dissipates to a beige ocean water lace. The nose is of burnt malt with hints of espresso bean and cocoa. The taste is a fire, smoky malt up front. Bit of chocolate and coffee accompany in the middle. A finish of slight hops but that wonderful smoky coffee taste on the back of the tongue. This one is a solid medium body. Not light-medium , like many porters. Porters tend to taste like their thrown together, which is explanatory if you know the history of the style. Fuller's London Porter though, tastes very crafted. It is classy, complex and very luxurious. Another one of their brews that is almost perfect. Just a gorgeous brew.
Ron, and others, I know your taste for porters and stouts. This one doesn't smoke, or do anything fancy. This, like all Fuller's line, is just the epitome of solid brewing.
Go out and get it!
next review.....Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter

Randy, on the price issue. Someone told me and read in here that the Stone products are pretty pricy on the east coast. Well, I finally found someone who carries Victory. They wanted $10.99 a six/pk! The Wine Country is pretty cheap on their brews, so I'm sure it would be even more somewhere else. I would have paid it if they had the HopDevil but they were out.
Ron, I have put in an order for the HopDevil. When I get it, you'll receive a package at the normal LW drop-off. May take a while though. Hehehe, the beer cartel.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Ron, I have put in an order for the HopDevil. When I get it, you'll receive a package at the normal LW drop-off. May take a while though. Hehehe, the beer cartel.
Very, very cool Zen. Where did you order it from? The LW? I need to step up to the bar stool and get even with ya on the beers. Maybe a quick stop over at the Goathill soon? What say you?
I did try the Firestone Pale Ale last night, it was almost identical to their Double Barrel Ale, just weaker. No need to go further.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Very, very cool Zen. Where did you order it from? The LW?
I have my local cellar looking for it. Haven't received a call back yet. He said he should have a case of it for me by Tuesday, for which a 6 pack of it is yours. I'll keep ya posted. I didn't think to call LW to see if they could special order. That may be a back-up plan.

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Hey guys,

I just wanted to comment on a personal favorite of mine - Sapporo Draft Beer. I really, really like this beer, partly because I think it tastes great (although I readily admit to not being a great connoisseur of beer), and partly because it brings back wonderful memories of the summer I spent in Japan two years ago.

I worked at two hotels in Hokkaido, and one of them had a beer garden on the top floor. It was so fantastic to get done with a day's work, take off your tie, sit outside in the breeze and have a nice cold one while relaxing with co-workers. It was the best, most satisfying beer-drinking experience I've ever had.

I've had Sapporo here in the USA, and I still think it's a great beer, but it's impossible to duplicate that same experience. Also, I've heard varying stories about American distribution of Sapporo. The can (or bottle) says it's imported, but I read in Consumer Reports that it's brewed and distributed by Anheuser-Busch. Granted, this is the same magazine that rated Natural Light the second-best tasting beer, but I was wondering what the true story is.

Anyway, just wanted to share my high opinion of Sapporo. Oh, I've also had the Sapporo Reserve (which I never saw in Japan), and I didn't like it as much as the original draft.

Jin E

Second Unit
Sounds like I need to move away from Alabamastan to Kali just for the better beer selection ;)

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
Eric, I went to the Sapporo Bier Garten in Hokkaido and had a blast. All you can eat and drink. While my tastes in beer do not include Sapporo's style any longer, it was still lots of fun there.

Randy_Sh

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Gents.
Been away from the HTF for a few days due to other things (mainly snow/sleet/freezing rain) Yuck.
Anyway, had a good time at the Capital Ale House on Valentine's Day. Got there at about 4 or so and it was empty. Filled up with after work crowd by about 5:30 or so. We had some burgers and enjoyed a few brews. I definitely would return. Very impressive menu of both tapped brews but also bottles as well. Staff was pretty knowledgable as well. Meaning, if I asked a question about a brew, I got a pretty good response and description.
First beer. Anderson Valley Barley Flats Stout On Draft. Very nice deep color. Held a nice head. Good Aroma. Very nice taste, a slight sweetness, roasted flavor. Really liked it.
Second beer. Smuttynose Robust Porter On draft. Really nice head and color. More pugent taste to it than the Stout, less sweet, slightly lingering roasted aftertaste Not too bad. Would order another.
Third beer. Fordham Oyster Stout On draft. Served with no head, lingering of one that was there? Too long on the bar? Deep color. Good roasted flavor, but a bit watery at the end. The weakest of the three. Kinda disappointing.
Wife's beer. Dogfish Head Snowblower Ale On draft. Very nice deep amber color. Very nice lacy head. Nice sweetness in aroma and spicy, sweet taste. Very good. I enjoyed my tastes of this one.
Geez Zen, $10.99 a sixer! Yikes. I can find it here in Richmond for $6.99. Understand about the $$. Just as Stone's gotta ship out here, Victory's gotta ship out to the west coast. Hopefully, we east coasters haven't set your expectations too high. I'm sure that you will enjoy
the brew.
Cheers. Gotta go scrape, shovel, remove about 6 inches of sleet, snow and ice from the driveways and walks. Only benefit is the office was closed today because of the icy roads...

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Had some San Rafael Pale Ale yesterday.
I'm no beer critic, but I know what I like. ;)
It was alright, lil hoppy, a little too bitter for my tastes. light ale-ish color as you might expect. All in all, a mediocre experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks