What's new

Let's talk Beer (1 Viewer)

Matt Fig

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Fig
As gift I received a subscription to micro beer of the month club. The shipment comes every other month. This month's selections are from the Lake Placid Pub and Brewery, featuring their Ubu Ale and IPA. I also received a selection from the Pennsylvania Brewery, featuring their Penn Weizen and Penn Dark Lager. I have not had any of these breweries beers but from the descriptions that came with the shipment they sound good. I am not a big fan of Hefeweizen, wheat beer, but the Weizen has won many awards. I am curious about the Ubu Ale. Supposedly President Clinton loved it so much that he had them ship 3 more cases back to the White House.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Spaten Ocktoberfest + Ice cold glass = heaven

I got a friend of mine hooked on the stuff.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis

adams82

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
Michigan beer all the way... Bell's, Founder's, New Holland, Kuhnhenn, Sherwood... I could go on and on.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
Dennis Nicholls said:
New Holland? I thought they only made tractors and other farm equipment. :confused:
Few things go together better than farm equipment and beer (unless you're somehow afraid to lose a limb here or there).

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
One of the many things I'm doing to be more frugal in retirement is to (shudder) drink cheaper beer most of the time. :eek:
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
It's surprising that many old-line mass brands have been consolidated under a few giant brewers. Hamms, Pabst, and several more are now under the Miller umbrella. I've been doing some reading on-line since I found Hamms GD more to my palate than most other mass beer, which is where I've been uncovering this fact.
If you want hops, try Hopzilla over at the Tablerock Brew Pub here in Boise. :laugh: TableRock Beers

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’m of the opposite philosophy Dennis. Not only is life to short to drink bad wine, I apply that to beer and spirits as well.
While I don’t know the life span of my liver, I’ll not use up what there is with other than the best (or at least not the tasteless).

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Lurked in this thread for quite awhile, but this my 1st post. I recently tried the Stone Brewery Imperial Russian Stout and must say, this beer is possibly the best I've ever had. I never thought a stout could taste this good! Anyone know of other stouts that come close to this? I never thought I was that big of a stouthead until I tried this one, now I'm ready for more.

Cheers!

Phil

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Dennis, I would end up drinking 2-3 cans of the cheap stuff on 1 bottle or pint of a better beer. It ends up being the price either way for me.
Phil, other Imperials that I like are:
- Rogue's IRS
- Full Sail's Black Gold Imperial Stout. The Black Gold version is aged in bourbon barrels.
- Great Divide's Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout
All three are available in bottles.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
Philip_T said:
Lurked in this thread for quite awhile, but this my 1st post. I recently tried the Stone Brewery Imperial Russian Stout and must say, this beer is possibly the best I've ever had. I never thought a stout could taste this good! Anyone know of other stouts that come close to this? I never thought I was that big of a stouthead until I tried this one, now I'm ready for more.
Cheers!
Phil
I've enjoyed Blackout Stout from Great Lakes. If you enjoy strong beer of that sort, and haven't already done so, check out the various Trappist ales and their clones. There are some really excellent beers in that area. Start with the actual Trappists, though. They are uniformly excellent. Some of the clones are not.

adams82

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
New Holland Brewing's website is newhollandbrew.com. They are a well established and respected Michigan brewer.

Bell's Kalamazoo Stout is awsome and made year round, but they don't distribute too far outside of the Midewest or the south... Sierra Nevada makes a good stout that should be readily available nationwide, Guinness is crap unless you get it in Europe... Stone's Russian Imperial Stout is killer, you're lucky to have access to it. The best stout ever is Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout. Google it. It's what legends are made of, but it's only made once per year and you would be very hard pressed to find any until 2009.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
There should be a law requiring the age of 21 to post a reply in this thread.

adams82

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
bobbyg2 said:
There should be a law requiring the age of 21 to post a reply in this thread.
In which fascist state can a person under the age of 21 not at least discuss alcohol?

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Greg_R said:
Dennis, I would end up drinking 2-3 cans of the cheap stuff on 1 bottle or pint of a better beer. It ends up being the price either way for me.
Phil, other Imperials that I like are:
- Rogue's IRS
- Full Sail's Black Gold Imperial Stout. The Black Gold version is aged in bourbon barrels.
- Great Divide's Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout
All three are available in bottles.
Just wanted to thank you Greg for the Full Sail recommendation. Excellent stuff. Still working on getting to the other suggestions including Kurt's .

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I am currently drinking North Coast Scrimshaw Pilsner and Pilsner Urquell.
I love Pilsner Urquell, it has such a distinct hop aroma and taste.
Scrimshaw is okay.
I went to a far away brew store (:frowning: on being far away) and picked out:
Paulaner Celebrator Doppelbock
Spaten Optimator Doppelbock
Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock
Young's Double Chocolate Stout
Lindeman's Peche Lambic & Pomme Lambic.
I am a huge doppelbock fan, I cleaned out the store's selection. :D
Young's Chocolate Stout is always a great beer, and I love the Peche Lambic. I haven't tried the Pomme but I am looking forward to it. I wish I could drink Lindeman's more but at $8 a bottle I have to drink it sparingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks