What's new

Let's talk Beer (1 Viewer)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Well finally, I wasn't going to bump it myself.

Yes the Lagunitas is one of the cleanest tasting beers I have had. This brew compliments just about every food I have had with it.

Hop Rod Rye is one of the best brews on the planet, complex and oh yes, chunky.

Ron, turned me on to the Moylan's Double IPA. This brew is very multi-layered, with hints of chocolate, smoke, burnt malt and of course a generous smack of hops. This is not just an American IPA kicked into overdrive ala Stone's Ruination (although a favorite), Moylan's Double IPA is its own entity, and marches to its own drum.

Lately with all the work on my flat, which ='s low amounts of beer dollars, I have had Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in the fridge. A great fallback, that should not be overlooked just because of its rising popularity. They have yet to skimp on the quality, which I say "so far so good." One note, Sierra Nevada does seem inconsistent from bottle to bottle. This may be because it is a bottle conditioned brew. Maybe our old friend Michael Marklund could chime in and enlighten us further.

Good to see this old-guy back to life, if only for a little while huh?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Nah Zen, our mission should be to keep this thread alive as long as the HTF is. After all, there is no better compliment to a good movie than that of beer:)
I have been a little bit disappointed in the Liquor Warehouse's beer selection as of late, seems their stock is always on the low. It's been months since I've seen the Hobgoblin.
Might just have to head down to the Hi-Time cellar in Costa Mesa, a little more pricey, but I'm sure they'd have some off the walls to taste.
Peace Out~:D

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
this brewery makes class act brews, one notably is Trois Pistoles ,
This is the best beer ever IMHO. I've yet to try anything that comes close.
Being stuck in Oklahoma though I don't get to buy any unless I make a 4 hr drive to Dallas to get some at Central Market. I would do it though :)
If I have to settle for one, then its Chimay or Newcastle if I just want something to drink such dinner out.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Being stuck in Oklahoma though I don't get to buy any unless I make a 4 hr drive to Dallas to get some at Central Market. I would do it though
So this is the problem: I’ve been in Tulsa for about a week and have basically been drinking only the standard brands. Makes me appreciate Sam Adams all the more, as its so widely available.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Lew,

Oklahoma has stupid liquor laws that only allow you to buy 3.2% alcohol at most places at on certain days. The exotic beers are tougher to find like Unibroe. Chimay is about as exotic as it gets and honestly its pretty good but really isn't if you've ever had Tres Pistoles.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
2001 Chimay Grande Reserve Blue said:
We shouldn't lump all Chimay offerings into one basket. They are all very different brews. The 2001 I mentioned is legend among serious tasters.
Ron, Bristol Farms, has a nice selection also. Plan on paying a little more than what your used to at LW. Hey, I also forgot about Henry and Harry's Goathill Tavern. Would be a great place for you and I to try some of our favorites on tap!
mmmmmmmmmmm Hobgoblin

Joe D

Supporting Actor
While I haven't had the time to try most of the beers mentioned in this thread, or the money, I have to say that I enjoy the following beers:

Shell's Dark

Premium Grain Belt

Both are brewed in New Ulm MN, Grain Belt used to be brewed in St. Paul but the company went bankrupt and Shell's bought the product. Both are good beers IMHO.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Maybe it's just where I live which is about 45 miles east of Dallas, but personally there is no better beer with great Tex-Mex or a Steak than an ice cold Corona.

I'll confess that I haven't tried the majority of those listed in this thread so my opinion should count less I guess :b

For a cold beer by itself...I like Tequeeza (have no idea how to spell it)

I'll have to find some of the more exotic beers listed here though.

Zane Charron

Second Unit
I'm in an interesting position here. I live in a little Bavarian town about 40 miles SE of Munich (so yes, Oktoberfest every year, not to mention the smaller, much better ones locally). I have a HUGE selection of German/regional/local/VERY local beers at hand, but it's difficult to get any NON-regional beers. You can get a few from Italy/Holland/Britain/etc, but forget about any countries outside Europe.
Still, look at what I have at my disposal? Probably 40 different breweries in the local 30km radius, many of them making a Helles (lager), Weissbier (wheat beer), Hefe-Weissbier (wheat with yeast), Dunkel-Weissbier (dark wheat), Dunkel, Pils, spring brews, fall fest brews, winter brews, etc. All cheap (an average case of 20-.5 liter bottles costs about $12, inlcluding about 3 in deposit, which you get back). So I'm paying about .50-60 cents a bottle for stuff like Paulaner, Spaten, Franziskaner, Hofbrau, etc. Doesn't get much better than that.
Some of my favorite regional beers are made by:
Floetzinger - I think they only make 1 export, a lager. Their 1543 Hefe-Weissbier is a food of the gods.
Ayinger - Many beers exported. Their Celebrator is one of the finest beers EVER.
Franziskaner - The Weissbier 'division' of Spaten. A consistently good wheat beer.
Eine Bayern Halbe - Very regional. They make a wonderfully tasty Helles.
Oettinger - Very nice, well-rounded beers.
Schweinsbrau - They make two beers in Hermannsdorf, an extrememly nutty dark Weissbier and a smooth, unfiltered Helles, each made with wholly organic ingredients.
Unionsbrau - It's a small brewery in a cellar in Munich that makes only a delicious, smooth, creamy, wonderful unfiltered Helles. Very cool place if your a beer fan and in Munich.
Of course, I have scarcely met a beer I didn't like. ;)
Speaking of growlers (called Siphon in German), I have 2-2 liter ones, from Unionsbrau and Airbrau, another great brewery in the Munich airport. They kick ass.

Mark Lee

Second Unit
On a different tack -- what's the deal with the Rodenbach beers these days? I think I posted about this on this thread a while back (and has since been "snipped" by the HTF powers-that-be in their website spring-cleaning), but wondering if there's been more recent word. Is the Rodenbach brewery still active? And more importantly, if they are, where's their beers? I still crave their beers above all others, I think (and I've tried the Petrus Brown as an attempted substitute -- don't really think it compares).
The other "niche"-type beer I haven't seen 'round these parts in a little while is the Mackeson milk stout -- with all the endless variations on the Irish-style stouts and the imperial-type stouts around, the Mackeson always seemed to be fairly unique, a stout that one really could have with (or as) dessert, without the bitterish hoppy tang that seems out of place at the end of a meal. Anyone else with me on this?

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Mark, the Rodenbach brewery is still around. You'll just have to travel to Begium to taste their unique ales. They haven't imported here for a while now. I have heard from other tasters that it does turn up from time to time. usually at festivals and such.
The one Rodenbach brew I have had Grand Cru was way to sophisticated for me the time I first tried it. Most Oud Bruin Ale/Belgian Style Flanders can be odd to the palate at first. They are very fruity, spicy and woodsy (sp?) with just a hint of hop. The Trappists Ales did much to open my mind to the flanders style. Rodenbach would definitely classify as a cult favorite here. No telling what its popularity in Europe is. Unfortunately, I have only tried the one brew mentioned, I know they have many others.

Craig

Second Unit
Bert Grant's IPA was always one of my favorites but I haven't had it in a while, I hope it's still being made.

Bohemia is a very good beer, but supply is kind of hit or miss around Atlanta. The big liquor stores usually have it, but most restaurants, even Mexican, don't carry it.

Man, I'm getting thirsty, time to head down to the local pub!

These are some of my favorite beers:

Weihenstephaner - Lager(In my opinion the best)

Fuller's 1845- bottle conditioned ale & ESB

Cooper's(Australian) - Sparkling ale and extra stout

Anything by Abita - A microbrew near New Orleans

Samuel Smith's India Pale Ale

Sierra Navada - Porter

All of these are available here in the U.S.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Since I'm pretty new to the beer drinking game (22), I was hoping you guys could give me a few recommendations on what to try.

I've had some good exposure to more niche-type beers and I'm finding more and more that I love. I was never one that liked the typical poor college student beers.

I generally dislike all domestic mass-produced brands (Bud, Coors, etc). Not that I won't ever drink them, but I'll never order one at a bar.

I like:

Corona

Pyramid Hefeweizen

Henry's Hef

Red Hook Blonde

Henry's Northwest Trail Lager

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Guinness

Kokanee

Pacifico

Warsteiner

As you can see, for casual drinking I like wheat beers that aren't too hoppy. I do enjoy the occasional stout, and even some bitters.

Anything else I should try?

JayV

Supporting Actor
I'm surprised -- no, alarmed -- that two of my favorites (both local to me in the Philadelphia area) have not been mentioned:
1. Stoudt's Munich Gold
2. Victory Hop Devil
I periodically make a pilgrimage to Stoudt's brewery in Adamstown, PA, and recommend it to anyone in the area.
A funny story for anyone from Pennsylvania: I was in a restaurant in Orlando recently and asked the waitress what they had on tap. She answered with a couple mass markets like Budweiser and then "We do have something special on tap." She paused and then said breathlessly "Yuengling Lager, from the oldest continuously operating brewery in the country!"
I had a Knob Creek.
-j

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I’ll see if I can locate some Tres Pistoles before the playoffs (after getting all set up for HD,
There is a Central Market off the Tollway in North Dallas that has it in stock usually. There might be other Central Markets in DFW that have it closer to you but I know that one has it in stock or did when I visited last.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Fuller's 1845- bottle conditioned ale & ESB
One of the most balanced ales I have ever had. Almost perfect.
Jared, I prefer the Widmer Bros. Hefe to the Pyramid, Nice to see someone mention Pacifico which is far superior in the mexican pilsner category. You should have some great local breweries near you?
JayV, both of the beers you mentioned, were discussed in earlier posts that are now extinct due to bandwidth cuts performed (neccesarily) by admins. BTW, how far do you have to drive for good beers? I know of some tasters in PA, who get some amazing brews out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks