What's new

Let's Share Some Goth (1 Viewer)

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I heard this band for the first time a few weeks ago and was pretty much blown away. I heard The 69 Eyes for the first time Tuesday night (a track called "Still Waters Run Deep," and they remind me of Sisters of Mercy with a rockier feel and far less "bombast." I'll be picking up some of their stuff ASAP.

Speaking of bombast, I've really taken a shine to Nightwish lately, though I certainly wouldn't call them "goth" per se. For the uninitiated, Nightwish and Within Temptation sound like Andrew Lloyd Weber gone metal.

I also find I prefer the new female vocalist in Nightwish to Tarja Turunen as she's got a more "rock"-oriented voice, instead of "all soprano all the time."

I recommend checking out Schoolyard Heroes if you want some really good goth/horror/rock (and a female lead signer to boot!) Incredible energy, some truly catchy tracks, and a great sense of the macabre. :)

Thanks to others for some good pointers in this thread. I have some more bands to check out....

Peter Galbavy

Auditioning
For those of us not minded of embarassment I would offer up Depeche Mode's Violator album as Dark or Goth - not really the other stuff, but perhaps Songs Of Faith And Devotion.

In terms of the Mission (why is it labelled UK ? Is there a US "The Mission" ?) I would only think about The First Chapter and Gods Own Medicine. Children was not what I would think of as Goth. But each to our own...

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Great thread!

I do remember reading in an article about Robert Smith of The Cure that he hated being labeled as Goth and probably considered himself more mope rock than anything. of course he said that last part as a joke, but yeah he never cared for the Goth label.

Siouxsie and the Banshees always said they were punk, but their newest evolution " The Creatures" is somewhat Goth in my opinion.

is there really a definitive definition of "Goth"? I'd be curious to see what it is.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I think it's more of a feeling of a song, there can be "punk" bands that have done a "goth" song, and "goth" bands that have done "punk" songs.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Three pages and no mention of the Damned? The album Phantasmagora is much more Gothic than Punk. I also wouldn't be surprised if Dave Vanian was Tim Burton's basis for the look of Johnny Depp as Sweeney Todd. :)

Most of their albums are a cross of Gothe and Punk.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don

I never thought about that, but that's worth investigating! Time to find out of Burton and/or Depp is/are Damned fans!

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Machines of Loving Grace
VAST
Team Sleep (Chino Moreno (Deftones singer)'s side project
H.I.M.
The songs Jonathan Davis co-wrote for the Queen of the Damned soundtrack are incredible.

Adam_Duncan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Duncan
The closest I get to Goth is Type O Negative and Danzig. Both have done some great stuff over the years. Some of the bands mentioned in this thread are definitely not Goth. Tool? A Perfect Circle? :laugh: Give me a break!

Sheldon C

Second Unit
Type O Negative's new album really has impressed me. It didn't give me the best first impression, but I keep going back to it. I put it right up there with October Rust and Bloody Kisses. Pete really has written some great vocal melodies on quite a few of the songs on Dead Again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks