What's new

Let's Share Some Goth (1 Viewer)

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Would marilyn manson be considered goth???? or maybe a sub-genra of?? When I think of goth I think of The Cure..and such........

R~

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'll have to drop by Rasputins or something and see what I can dig up. I've also heard of Lacuna Coil, here basically, so I'll have to check them out too.

NIN's first album PHM and then TDS I would consider dark, but Broken/Fixed was mostly just angry rage (which I liked also). I like the newest stuff a lot too.

Skinny Puppy was one of my favorites from back in the day, and I liked Ministry's old stuff.

T.S.O.L.?

Some of you might like Team Sleep www.teamsleep.net - a side project of Deftones front man Chino Moreno. IMO, some of the prerelease tracks/versions are better than what made it to the album, but the album is still pretty interesting. The prerelease tracks have a very different feel from Deftones, but the album ended up sounding more like the Deftones...I still like it.

Check out Sloth www.slothmusic.com (site appears to be messed up right now). Saw these guys open up for Staind at the Filmore and I really liked them. Very good live, album does not quite capture that live energy entirely though.

I think Flyleaf has potential, but I agree the album is somewhat average; not too bad for a first shot though, but they have some maturing to do. I was actually hoping for a little LESS screaming, because I couldn't understand most of what she was singing at the show. Cassie is a good song; about Columbine.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Guess I got here a little late, since most of the bands I listen to have been mentioned.

Xandria is another female fronted band that I dig.

Evergray probably should be mentioned. All male, and they rock pretty hard.

Therion is a pretty unique band, in that they actually have a choir singing. It is very impressive stuff.

Jason

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Zen,

IMO, the definitive Type O is October Rust. Bloody Kisses is probably the closest they've come to commercial success, but to me October Rust will always be their best. But everything the've done since BK is fantastic in my book. I think if you like BK, you should probably try their other original releases since that record, which are October Rust, World Coming Down and Life Is Killing Me.

There's also The Least Worst Of, which is, you guessed it, a compilation record with some unreleased tracks and such.

The two releases they did before BK, Slow Deep & Hard and Origin Of The Feces are interesting, but I don't think it automatically follows that if you like the newer Type O, you'll like them. Type O is also due for a new album towards the end of the year.

Since Skinny Puppy was mentioned, I'll mention Front Line Assembly. Awesome electro-industrial stuff. Bill Leeb, one of the creators of the project, was originally in Skinny Puppy. FLA's last four releases have been awesome. My favorite is Implode, with Epitaph, Civilization and the recently released Artificial Soldier just a hair below them. If you really get into this stuff, check out the Vanished EP for a couple of kick-ass tracks that didn't make the Civilization record for some reason.

Leeb & Fulber's Delerium also did some very nice female-voiced techno albums. Check out clips from Semantic Spaces, Karma, Poem and Chimera. I've been hooked on those records for quite some time. Conjure One (Fulber's project) is another great moody electro-pop project.

With all these female-fronted bands being mentioned, I'll go ahead and say The Gathering is well worth your time if you like any of the others mentioned. Anneke has quite possibly one of the best and most emotive female rock voices I've ever heard. The band started out as sort of a death metal project in the early 90's, but then she joined and they started evolving with each subsequent record. Mandylion is almost a progressive metal record, but very moody. Nighttime Birds is a little more upbeat, and has some great hooks. How To Measure A Planet starts to get away from the metal sound, but also has some very memorable songs. They've gotten increasingly experimental on the last few records, but it's all still great stuff.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but I'll end on sort of a shameless plug.

I was part of a goth-progressive band called Braindance in the late 90's in NYC. The band has been on the verge of securing a good record deal several times, but it just never happened. All of their releases are independent, and they're currently working on their latest, for which I am once again recording the bass parts.

The most rudimentary comparisons are always to Type O, since Braindance's vocalist also has a lower voice, but to me there's always been more to the band making them unique.

You can check out clips from their last record here:

www.progressivedarkwave.com

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I know it isn't an electronic thread, but I have been very pleased with all of Delerium's stuff so far (all the albums are good, but the earlier ones are better IMO), and both Conjure One albums are very good; the newest one stays in heavy rotation at home.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I just thought they were worth mentioning, as I think Delerium and C1 have had a decent amount of crossover success.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
SISTERS OF MERCY-whatever happened to Andrew Eldrich?

Did he go back to his day job as an electrician?

DEAD CAN DANCE 1,2,3-but especailly 1, before they were discovered by the "world" New-Age crowd.

Anyone remember THE VEIL (UK)lwith lead singer Andwella ?
was surprised when she wrote me a nice letter of appreciation to my writing her-back in what 1990?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Those are some definite ones to look up.

I listened to Wolfmother on Friday and I have to say, it is not even remotely Goth, so I'm not sure why it was brought up. Not that anyone asked, but it seems to be highly "calculated" music and I am suspicious of any new group that is the object of such a marketing juggernaut,

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
One thing I love is being turned on to a band with a substantial body of work. I'm listening to Bloody Kisses now at work. So far, I love this band's sound. The vocalist has an amazing deep voice. I did peak at their Myspace page...

http://www.myspace.com/typeonegative

I absolutely love "Love You to Death" off of October Rust which it looks as if I will order that also. Still absorbing Bloody Kisses now though.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm glad you enjoy their music. I like knowing I referred something that someone enjoys. I have all their albums but the first, and don't listen to them enough.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Picked up Lacuna Coil's Karmacode today. After listening to a bunch of tracks off different albums, I headed over to Tower and found that this one was on sale, and I had liked what I heard. So far, I'm pretty pleased with it.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I probably should also bring up Green Carnation, who have some pretty darn good albums, including the 60 minute epic "Light of Day, Day of Darkness"

Also, Nightingale is another band to check out. Dan Swano is a pretty good vocallist.

Jason

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

I've probably stated this in other threads, but I think LC's best work was their earlier stuff. It was less polished sounding, but it had more spirit I think. The self-titled EP and In A Reverie are fantastic IMO.

Rommel_L

Second Unit
Bauhaus
Joy Division
Siouxsie & the Banshees
IMO, there's no such thing as goth before these 3 bands...

Dead Can Dance
Cocteau Twins (Garlands)
Switchblade Symphony
Cure (anything before "Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me")
Ministry (before Al Jourgensen went Industrial - dark lyrics mixed with poppy synth sounds)
NIN
Marilyn Manson
Type O Negative
Sisters Of Mercy
The Cult

Tool / A Perfect Circle - don't know if I would classify them as goth, but they're definitely kick a$$ rock bands, especially if experienced live...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I wouldn't really call The Cult Goth exactly either, other than the fact that they just don't seem to catch on. I love their stuff.

WOW, how could I forget Siouxsie? One of my all time absolute favorite bands :) Tinderbox is my favorite album from them. I was really excited to see the recent compilation of Siouxsie and the Banshees, but haven't had a chance to pick it up. I have most of the albums already though, so not sure if it is worth it. I like The Creatures too.

Yeah, I listened to the tracks from each album and I do think the early stuff sounded good, but the new album was on sale cheap and a few tracks really got me interested, not the least of which was the cover of Enjoy The Silence.

On a related note, I just bought tix to see NIN w/Bauhaus :D

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
You won't be disappointed in Bauhaus. I saw them in NYC a few months ago and they were great. Would've been cool if Daniel Ash and David J did a couple of L&R tunes though.

I saw NIN with David Bowie. NIN was great, I was so looking forward to Bowie but he was a disappointment. Wouldn't even throw us a bone with some older stuff.

Last night I saw Echo and The Bunnymen. Great show, small club, sounded awesome.

To add to the Goth list, My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult, Goth/Not Goth perhaps?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd call Thrill Kill Kult goth enough :)

Anyone ever listen to Killing Joke? I liked them long ago, but haven't heard any of their stuff since the early 90s.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Ah Killing Joke, Eighties is one of my favorite songs. I saw them many years ago as well.

Thrill Kill opened for Ministry recently and that was a great show as well.

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
I know they hate being called goth but the sisters of mercy were for a long time one of my favorite bands (even have a merciful release tattoo). Being released in the 80's some of their stuff is starting to sound a bit dated but floodland is still a classic album. Sisters are still around, I saw them play in detroit a few months ago but the sound sucked so that kind of blew.

Type O's bloody kisses disc is also some goth at it's finest.

Not really goth but if you like female fronted goth you should really check out The Cranes - Wings of Joy. Good stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks