What's new

Lets send Disney the message that uncensored material sells and buy Mickey and SS (1 Viewer)

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
If we ever want to see uncensored versions of Fantasia, Melody Time, Saludos Amigos, and Make Mine Music, and ever hope to see Song of the South at all, we Disney fans must send Disney a message next Tuesday: uncensored material sells and the public understands that times were different back then in regards to racial sensativity and are not offended by historically accurate material. I'm guessing that the release of the original Three Little Pigs especially is an experiment by Disney to see if such material will sell because it was censored by Disney himself. I know Roy Disney has expressed that he would like to release uncensored versions of the above 5 minus Fantasia so if this sells well those 4 are probably a done deal and the chances of an unedited Fantasia will increase greatly. How perfect would it be if they released an unedited version with the original Deems Taylor dialog? It would complement the boxed set perfectly. So Tuesday, let's do it!

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
How perfect would it be if they released an unedited version with the original Deems Taylor dialog?
Didn't they change the dialog because the orinigal was in such a bad shape?

Besides, I plan to buy SS, I can't afford anymore at the moment, but I have to get these classics...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Frankly, I will have to wait until after Christmas to buy these...they might be under the tree.

If they aren't, I will own them by the 1st paycheck of the new year!!

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Deems Taylors dialog was in fine shape for the parts that have appeared on video previously. This version of Fantasia however has the complete original roadshow narration, not the abridged narration that was on all previous video release. But the audio for the parts of the narration that were restored for the dvd no longer exist or have yet to be rediscovered so instead of patching in the missing audio with a voice that obviously didn't match, they just decided to rerecord the entire dialog.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I preordered my Mickey and SS discs.
It is ironic that every child ever weaned on Disney knows "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" by heart but 99% of them have never seen the film from whence it came. :frowning:

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Are these DVDs limited issue? I also have to wait until after Christmas to buy any more dvds, and am worried that they'll be gone.

Rolando

Screenwriter
sorry to be lost but what movie is SS?

Thanks and sorry for not guessing the abreviation.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Got Disneyland USA the other day. The tins are Very cool, this is what Anchor Bay needs to start using. The edition number is Embossed in the tin cover!

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
Hey Mark, I see you're from Indy....where did you find the Disneyland DVD early?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I'm guessing that the release of the original Three Little Pigs especially is an experiment by Disney to see if such material will sell because it was censored by Disney himself.
The uncensored Three Little Pigs does not appear on the disc. During a Leonard Maltin introduction, you get a glimpse of the cut footage, but it is not a choice to watch the short as originally produced.

Regards,

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Yeah, I was bummed to find that out. Someone posted that both versions would be on the disc with an introduction about stereotypes in movies in the 30's by Maltin. Oh well at least we get a glimpse. I don't understand why they would show most of the footage but not include the complete original. Still the Mickey and Silly Symphonies are gems. 63 cartoons at about 77 cents each doesn't suck!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I am sure Disney is well aware the uncensored material would sell - the decisions they have made are certainly based upon the concept of public relations/reputation maintenance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks