1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Let the controller debate begin!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dean Cooper, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Well-Known Member

I found a review on the Xbox controller! done by a gamer that played the demo on a Sobe van. Check it out, even has some good pictures of it in his hands to see the grip:
    http://hometown.aol.com/xboxorbust/HandsOn.html
    you have to highlight the link and press enter for it to work.
    Here is the review to go with the link:
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    The XBox controller..... Hands on
    Ok.. We have all heard about this controller. I don't know what everyone who has complained, is complaining about. Let me help put some of the hype to rest.... The controller felt extremely comfortable and very functional..... I didn't have any problems with button layout. Specifically, the A,B,X,Y buttons. Yes they are closer then we are use to, but I feel it's just that. We're not use to the buttons being as close. I adjusted in no time and I don't think anybody will have a problem adjusting to the buttons.
    What I liked best about the controller is where everything was in conjunction to where you place your hands...It's just a very comfortable controller.... The buttons were nicely in reach, and the analog sticks had precise response and the control just felt great... My questions about the controller have been answered.. I got my grubby hands on it !!! Now the wait till Nov 8th...
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Dean
    [Edited last by Dean Cooper on August 09, 2001 at 07:58 PM]

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Well-Known Member

From the other pictures I have seen, compared to the pictures from the link above, that guy has big hands. That also means that it might not work the same for smaller hands. Look at the placement of the start/back buttons. They are pretty out of the way, and that makes it kinda hard to reach them in the middle of a game. The D-pad also looks kinda out of the way. It looks to me like they designed the controller so you only use the A/B/X/Y/L/R buttons and the left joystick, because the other things seem to be too hard to access. Also, I think that the idea of playing a game with 2 joysticks is weird (TimeSplitters showed me that), and I don't think they should have a second joystick. I think the japanese controller is designed better, and they should make that the American version.

3. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Well-Known Member

IMHO, if you are going to place 6 buttons on the face of the controller, it shoulde be done like the Saturn. The layout for the X-Box controller just doesn't look that comfy. I'm only 5'6" and my hands are not the biggest. Also if that controller is made by the same people who makes Microsoft's PC controllers, God help us. The d-pad looks the same as the PC (total shit), but they did get the button layout right for the 6 buttons on the PC controller.
    The best controllers so far have to be the Saturn, N64, and the Dreamcast. The Gamecube controller looks like it will be very comfy.
    -Dean-
    ------------------
    My HT Equipment
    "I've seen you and you are not cool."

4. Andre F

Andre F Well-Known Member

I've always LOVED the PS and PS2 controllers. Perfect size.
    -Andre
    ------------------
    -= Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape! =-

5. AndyVX

AndyVX Well-Known Member

I've learned that looks can be deceiving. The N64 controller looked like the most uncomfortable controller ever...and then I held it. IMO, the N64 controller is by far the MOST comfortable controller ever made.
    I'm assuming that the Gamecube controller will be the same. And as far as all the reports I've read on various game sites that have actually used the controller, it is the most comfortable out of the next gen sytems.
    Way to go Nintendo...two best ever controllers in a row! [​IMG]
    Andrew
    ------------------
    ICQ# - 119869807

6. Alan Wild

Alan Wild Well-Known Member

7. Morgan Jolley

I just hope the XB doesn't have any RPGs. The controller looks to be too big and heavy to hold during long battles and gameplay sessions. A third party should make a new controller that is smaller and without the ports. Either that, or I'll have to rip it apart and make one using clay or cardboard. I know someone who pulled their N64 apart and just let it sit on the floor as a bunch of wires. It cause a small fire and was thrown out.

8. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Well-Known Member

I'm not going to be nitpicky on this issue...Having been weaned on the Intellivision & Colecovision controllers, I can pick up almost anything. That having been said, it looks like the X-Box has the best controller set-up.
    Don't count out Nintendo, though - after what they did with the N64 controller, I'd wager that I'll get used to the GC one pretty fast. The PS/PS2 ones are just a bit small,IMHO - but hey, I can use em' & thats all I care about!
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."

9. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Well-Known Member

10. Morgan Jolley

I loved the Nintendo 64 controller. That thing is pretty sweet, almost perfect (a bit heavy with a rumble pack, thats all).