What's new

"lesser" Peanuts specials on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
Pretty much all of the classics (Christmas, Great Pumpkin, Thanksgiving, and so on) are out now, but there are a lot I still have yet to see on DVD. What about You're A Good Man, Flashbeagle, He's Your Dog and others. Many of these I haven't seen since I was a kid and wouldn't mind seeing again (like I am curious to see just how campy Flashbeagle must look today, I loved it at the time but haven't seen it since it aired in 1984, I loved Flashdance and couldn't wait to see Flashbeagle) and I am surprised they haven't gone ahead and released the entire Peanuts collection on DVD as some of these lesser known ones would be a blast to watch again.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I remember reading another thread on HTF about a German Peanuts set that supposedly had all of the specials on it.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Out of all the "lesser" peanuts specials, my favorite was "She's A Good Skate, Charlie Brown". I have most of these still on vhs including The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show but would love to have them on dvd.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I have an anniversary special that features a rendition of "Through the Years" with Schulz and Snoopy...very moving.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Many of these "Lesser" Specials are on sale this month at Deep Discount Dvd.

Check their Website fore more info.:)

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
Does anybody remember the name of the special where Lucy keeps removing the football so Charlie Brown can't kick it during a big game, yet everybody blames Charlie Brown for the team losing. I think Charles Schultz mentioned during a Dick Cavett interview that they got a lot of negative feedback about that special and everyone seemed to hate it.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Do a Google search with Scott's Peanuts and there is a site that lists all of the Peanuts specials and movies and which are available, pluse alternate versions. Really cool stuff!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Chas: I'm not sure, but it might be the Thanksgiving special with the football. I haven't seen that one in about 20 years...is it on dvd?

I don't really care for the current dvds...I don't like it that you get one or two specials on one dvd in one box....takes up too much space! I think it's high time for classy, upscale "Peanuts" boxed sets of ALL the specials. I think it should be marketed to adults (the former children who enjoyed these specials so much in decades past). I think the sets should be the Peanuts equivalent of those great Looney Tune sets, and they should have commentaries, outtakes, interviews, etc. I think the specials should be treated on dvd as if they had been an actual, regular tv series (they really were...Peanuts is a series. It's the longest-running continuing series of specials on television).

I think such a Peanuts boxed set is just perfect for the nostalgia market. At present, the Peanuts dvds are value-priced for parents to buy for children. That's fine, but there's actually an adult market for the Peanuts specials as well! I hope the studio figures that out soon and takes my advice. You know, the comic strips are now being reprinted in upscale hardcover formats. The book series is clearly marketed for adults and they are selling very well. That's the same exact adult audience that would gladly buy a complete collection of all the specials on dvd.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
yeppers, it was actually seeing that clip that made me want to see the whole thing again. Snoopy in legwarmers, did they really think that was a good idea? LOL

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The current dvds of the classics have too much DVNR. Lines disappear with rapid movement. I think they should be re-done. Of course, we'll probably never see "A Charlie Brown Christmas" with the original titles...Snoopy slings Linus into a Coca-Cola billboard. And the final verse of "Hark, the Herald Angels Sing" is missing because it featured a credit from Coca-Cola wishing everyone a Merry Christmas.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Which was the one where a magic trick turns C.B. invisible and he was finally able to kick the football out from under Lucy?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
One I've never seen since its original airing (and I stupidly taped over) is "It's the Girl In the Red Truck, Charlie Brown" which mixed live action and animation. I think it was around 1988. I don't think it's been seen since.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I miss the commercials for Dolly Madison that the Peanuts did. Remember the "Zingers"? This is the kind of stuff that I would like to see in a Special Features section. A whole part of the Peanuts franchise lost to time.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I don't get why they censor all the ads Peanuts did instead of embracing it on the DVD's? I mean, Simpsons DVD's have all of the Butterfingers and KFC ads they've done in the 90's, as if that's any different than mentions of Coke

LCD22

Screenwriter

Any chance someone could put this up on YouTube (if it isn't there already)? I have a vague memory of seeing this. Was this ever rebroadcast including the Coca-Cola bits?

I think CBS/Paramount should consider bringing in Paul Browstein for a "Peanuts" box set.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I think it was rebroadcast maybe once or twice in the mid-1960's. Also, the dvd contains a "fix" in the final scene. Originally, Pig Pen's head disappears while singing, revealing Frieda behind him. It's still like this when it airs. That has been corrected on dvd.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
There was also "It was a short summer, Charlie Brown" about life at summer camp.

Also would be great to have the original "A CBS special presentation" intro, which you can also find on youtube.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks