What's new

Leon- The professional Korean 2 disc (1 Viewer)

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I picked a copy of this up, although I do have the R1 discs. I was curious as to whether or not there would be a difference.

I got my copy yesterday - nice digipak with subtle use of gloss on matte, and slight embossing.

I can't comment on the sound, but I did compare the transfers late last night. My initial reaction was that the korean discs look the same as the US ones. What I hadn't noticed before is that the theatrical cut looks a bit more natural to me on both versions than the version integral.

I hope to have a more closer look later on, but those are my first impressions.

Al Stuart

Stunt Coordinator

Phil, I am very confused. If the extras are minimal (and they all appeared on the R1 single disc as well) and there is no DTS track, what exactly is on the second disc?

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
CraigL, even the original incorrect-sound version of Leon says it has "Digitally Remastered Sound" so you can't go by that.

The number on the spine of the defective version is 04730. The defective disc is blue with "Leon" in silver and "The Professional" in RED.

On the corrected version, there are two ways to tell from the outside whether you are holding the corrected version: One way is that there is a slight difference in the synopsis text, but I don't recall what the difference is...something about the last sentence being changed. The photo linked to earlier in the thread, for what it is worth, is a scan of the older, defective back cover.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Given that this thread is about the Korean release, does anyone else have it and have any comments on it?

CraigL

Screenwriter

LOL...it now says "Digitally remastered sound." THAT is the difference. There is a whole thread about this on DVDtalk I believe all about this one change. I even think pictures were posted.

In any case, I think i'm going to pick up the Japanese import now. I'm not too concerned with the Korean release as I'd rather have a corrected DTS track.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Setting the record straight, for anyone still looking to pick up the proper, non-defective version of Leon in region 1:

The defective disc has the catalogue number 04730 and the corrected disc has the catalogue number 06196.

Both versions tout, in huge red letters, "Digitally Remastered Audio & Anamorphic Video." That isn't enough to go on. People browsing used DVD stores need to be aware.

The fixed version, besides having the new serial number of 06196, also has a slightly different synopsis, and further down in the bullet list of features, the "English 5.1" adds the words "newly created English 5.1"

So the phrase to look for is "newly created," not what CraigL was saying.

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
So did the korean edition have the corrected audio track or not? According to Dvdtherapy the audio track of the korean edition lacks punch in the bass area, just like the faulty Superbit release.

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
I jst bought the Korean edition. Haven´t watched it yet, so I´m not sure if the audio is OK, but I must say that just the packing is worth buying this edition.

CraigL

Screenwriter
There are differing reports. Some say the fault is with the surround channels. Some say it's with the bass. Either way it's a sound issue.

You may just want to wait for the 2 disc R1 edition in January. I've bought this movie 3 times on DVD and I'm still waiting for a correct version.

Gary Burdick

Stunt Coordinator
My corrected Leon says "Newly Created English 5.1" on the back. This is what to look for, as Will pointed out. The linked cover is the wrong one.

From what I understand the Superbit r1 release has less bass, but some say it is more appropriate this way. I personally find the Leon r1 bass overbearing.

Also, what is coming out in January?

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
There should be a new SE in the beginning of next year. But it has to be much better than the R3 SE to be worth exchanging.

Hi,

Can someone please clear this up once and for all, as someone asked earlier, but got no reply, and some of you have stated that you own this disc:

Does this Korean R3 edition include the extended scene of Stansfield questioning Tony about Leon and Mathilda's whereabouts?

Thank-you.

PS. As I understand it, "Leon" and "The Professional" are identical, save the title. The extended version is "Leon Integral Version" (I've also head it referred to as "Leon la Version Longue"). That may not be entirely accurate, but it's better than referring to the extended version as "Leon", because outside of North America, the theatrical release of the film is known thusly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks