What's new

Leno moves nightly to primetime (1 Viewer)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Brian^K

Who's to say that the Tonight Show with Conan wasn't going to bomb anyway? A lot of people who have watched the Tonight Show for a long time say that Conan is no Jay Leno, some even going so far as to saying that the show is no longer worth watching on its own merits.
Conan was much better suited for the 12:30 slot where his irreverent sense of humor was allowed to flow freely. He's had to "clean up" his act a little bit too much for the Tonight Show gig and it has definitely impacted the overall feel of the show. I'm not a fan of Leno's comedy, but I do wish he still had Tonight Show and Conan would've continued to do Late Night where he was able to get by with just about anything.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by MatthewA

Quote:

A lot of people are still bitter that Letterman didn't get the Tonight Show.
If that's why some people hate Leno, I don't know whether to laugh at them or feel bad for them.

Personally, the only time that I watch a late night show is when I'm interested in the guest. I like Conan and find him funny but I don't even watch if I don't care about the guest.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattCR
I'm not to say it wouldn't bomb anyway. I'm saying the decision to bump Jay for Conan and move Jay may turn out to be a strategic terrible move.... That's the question that hovers over this.
I think the point, though, is that there is a difference between making that assertion based on sound foundation, and making that assertion simply because you don't like the ramifications of this being a success. The vast majority of criticisms of The Jay Leno Show and NBC programming it five nights a week, stem from animosity for the content of the program, not sincere informed concern for its chances of success. There are a lot of people in Hollywood who stand to lose a lot (like a good number of future jobs) if this is a success. And there are a lot of viewers who favor scripted programming who stand to lose a lot, as well. And that fear of this being successful is prompting a lot of the criticisms, with practically nothing else serving as foundation for the assertion that this was, as you say, "a strategic terrible move...."

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Same here. It's the guests that determine if I'll watch Conan's Tonight Show in its entirety. Luckily Conan's best bits are at the beginning of the show, and don't run forever as on Letterman.

Unfortunately, Leno is starting to resemble Letterman in that his comedy bits run for way too long, but they're shuffled all over the place.

Interesting enough, one of the best way to measure a show's true popularity is by their presence on BitTorrent tracking sites. Fallon's show only managed two weeks before it disappeared entirely. Conan has been on BitTorrent sites consistently for years although there sometimes was the occasional delay in posting the latest shows. Jimmy Kimmel only shows up occasionally, with Letterman being more frequent in his appearances but never complete.

The Daily Show and The Colbert Report show up consistently through thick and thin.

LynxFX

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ole Oleson
Ok the track segment and the track itself is horrible. Top Gear it is not. So I'm done, I can't even try to defend this show anymore. It blows, is filled with awkward bits (10@10 anyone?) and just isn't that good.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
If you're into cars and just want to see Leno driving them and talking about them, check out jaylenosgarage.com. It's much more entertaining than his show IMHO.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
10 @ 10 sounds like a local evening news gimmick.

Mel Gibson was kind of showing his age.

LynxFX

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ole Oleson
I agree which is why I was hoping he would bring some of that Leno to the Jay Leno Show. I think primetime audiences could get a kick out of a jet engined powered car, or Leno spinning out at 198mph in his Carrera GT or just trying to do a burnout in a Smart Fortwo. :)

Originally Posted by Brent M

If you're into cars and just want to see Leno driving them and talking about them, check out jaylenosgarage.com. It's much more entertaining than his show IMHO.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Francois Caron

Interesting enough, one of the best way to measure a show's true popularity is by their presence on BitTorrent tracking sites. Fallon's show only managed two weeks before it disappeared entirely. Conan has been on BitTorrent sites consistently for years although there sometimes was the occasional delay in posting the latest shows. Jimmy Kimmel only shows up occasionally, with Letterman being more frequent in his appearances but never complete.

The Daily Show and The Colbert Report show up consistently through thick and thin.

this is quite true and i believe it is more accurate than nielsen to gauge the popularity of a show.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Diallo B
this is quite true and i believe it is more accurate than nielsen.
It's not true at all, it only covers a select "techie" sub-demographic, and then doesn't account for the rapidly growing popularity in other online media outlets like Hulu-- which carries every late night show listed save for Letterman.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Diallo B

this is quite true and i believe it is more accurate than nielsen to gauge the popularity of a show.
What about old people that by and large don't steal shows online? The only accurate gauge torrent sites can give is to see what nerds (a group that I count myself as part of) and somewhat tech savvy people are watching.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Francois Caron

There are several logical problems with this argument. For one thing, the demographics that use Bittorrent are dramatically different than the demographics that watch network television. For another, the demographics are dramatically skewed toward international audiences that turn to Bittorrent to access programming that may not be available in their own country for months, if ever.

Also, comparing an hour long late night program to a half-hour comedy series is apples to oranges. The Daily Show and The Colbert Report are packaged as a cohesive whole. The late night shows aren't so much.

And finally, a show's "true" popularity doesn't really matter. NBC only makes money on the eyeballs that watch the show on TV, where the commercials haven't been edited out. Unlike scripted progamming, there aren't any secondary markets to capitalize on the viewers that skipped the original broadcast run.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
It's very shortsighted to say a show's popularity doesn't matter. It's true we're in a unique place right now where total viewership isn't reflecting revenue and so popular shows are getting canceled (Sarah Connor!!!), but this is because the entertainment industry is run by monkeys with down's syndrome, and they can't figure out how to make a buck. Sooner or later they'll either evolve or the industry will die, so it's really just a blip on the TV timeline. (Or the blip at the end of the TV timeline)

Jay Leno, the chin@10. (to stay on topic)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Zack Gibbs

It's very shortsighted to say a show's popularity doesn't matter.
What I said was that, a) I'm skeptical that file sharing statistics are representative of broader popularity -- especially in shows that skew older like the late night shows and the b) popularity among viewers that don't contribute to revenue doesn't matter.

It's easy to say the execs can't make a buck because they're idiots, but it's much harder to explain what they should be doing to make a buck, especially given advertisers' general unwillingness to pay market rates for online streams.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
^^ What you said was;
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt
...a show's "true" popularity doesn't really matter.
But no biggie, as I was responding more to Brian^K's post above yours, while realizing you had expressed a similar idea. But I have to ask, why should I use my extensive skill-set, imagination, and intelligence to do the entertainment industries job for them. Also I'm a hippie and I think everything should be free.

Also, I'm skeptical of file sharing statistics as well, I said it a page ago. Everyone's just cut & pasting my post for some reason. If I were the entertainment industry I'd have sued all of you by now.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Quote:

....this is because the entertainment industry is run by monkeys with down's syndrome, and they can't figure out how to make a buck.
This is an inanely myopic perspective, not to mention ridiculously rude and puerile.

One of the biggest problem facing our nation in recent years is the inability for many of our people to recognize that reasonable people can disagree with them and still be reasonable -- that life isn't a matter of getting one's own way at all costs, but rather is work at trying to find ways to live in harmony with people who feel as strongly about their own beliefs and values as you might feel about yours. The fact that businesses seek to fulfill their overriding obligations to make profit for their owners, rather than placate our own personal desires to be entertained, doesn't mean their wrong and we're right.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Quote:

^^ What you said was;

But no biggie, as I was responding more to Brian^K's post above yours, while realizing you had expressed a similar idea.
It is true that Adam and I agree about this, but your interpretation was out of context. Put it back into context, i.e. a comparison to the effect of popularity. That's what matters. Popularity for popularity's sake is vacuous. And there is nothing about popularity of something on a bittorrent that indicates clearly how much money a broadcaster can make off of that item. What Adam perhaps was too polite to point out was that often popularity of something on a bittorrent indicates a heavy interest in getting something for free, the exact opposite of what fosters the objectives of business.

Quote:

But I have to ask, why should I use my extensive skill-set, imagination, and intelligence to do the entertainment industries job for them.

You're not: You're using your skills, imagination and intelligence to better understand the world you live in; to better understand what is reasonable to expect; to better understand your own responsibilities in the give-and-take that is the life of a human living in community with others. And this statement by you very clearly outlines the need for that:

Quote:

Also I'm a hippie and I think everything should be free.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

Quote:

It is true that Adam and I agree about this, but your interpretation was out of context. Put it back into context, i.e. a comparison to the effect of popularity. That's what matters. Popularity for popularity's sake is vacuous. And there is nothing about popularity of something on a bittorrent that indicates clearly how much money a broadcaster can make off of that item.
No, you're putting downloaders in the context that they don't matter, and I'm pointing out that it's the industries job to make them matter. They can either find someway to use that audience or they can enjoy their upcoming layoffs. A loyal viewership is a loyal viewership regardless the venue. Time marches on, the audience changes, the industry has to change with them.

Quote:

What Adam perhaps was too polite to point out was that often popularity of something on a bittorrent indicates a heavy interest in getting something for free, the exact opposite of what fosters the objectives of business.
What this sentence indicates is a heavy misunderstanding of bittorrent and its users. I'll just point out that it doesn't matter where you watch Leno, Conan, etc., it's always free.

One of the biggest problem facing our nation in recent years is the inability for many of our people to recognize that reasonable people can disagree with them and still be reasonable -- that life isn't a matter of getting one's own way at all costs, but rather is work at trying to find ways to live in harmony with people who feel as strongly about their own beliefs and values as you might feel about yours. The fact that businesses seek to fulfill their overriding obligations to make profit for their owners, rather than placate our own personal desires to be entertained, doesn't mean their wrong and we're right
OMG you're a hippie too!!!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

No, you're putting downloaders in the context that they don't matter, and I'm pointing out that it's the industries job to make them matter.
I see what you mean but if they're not watching ads, they don't matter to the advertisers or networks and so they don't count.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks