What's new

Legend of the Seeker - premiere this weekend (1 Viewer)

Brandstone

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
Hey everyone--

I'm trying to help get the word out about a new show premiering this weekend. It's in syndication, so you may not have heard about it. It's called "Legend of the Seeker", and it's based on a fantasy novel series by Terry Goodkind ("Wizard's First Rule" etc.). Sam Raimi is producer. I'm hoping a lot of people will watch so it'll have a life!

See if you can find it on your schedule. There's a 2-hour premiere on Saturday, Nov. 1st. Some stations may run it on Sunday. The official site (Legend of the Seeker) has a look-up where you can enter your Zip code and find the local time and station.

It's a sword-and-sorcery type adventure with some of the flavor of Lord of the Rings. If it looks interesting to you, please tune in. Thanks!

Brandstone

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
Indirectly ... I know a couple of people working on the show, and I'm also a fan of the books. Hope you don't mind me barging in! :D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It went in my Tivo queue when I learned about its heritage with the '90s late-night adventures shows like Hercules and Xena! While more a Cleopatra 2525 man myself, I miss the late night goofball adventures.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Yeah, I'm definitely checking it out Sat (8 pm on WPIX in NYC).

I noticed there's a free iTunes download of the first 30 mins, too.

Brandstone

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
The first couple of books are great, real page-turners. The middle ones start getting a little flat and repetitive IMO (there are 11 books). The final three are are trilogy and they're supposed to be really good, but I haven't read them yet.

Rocky F

Second Unit
If got it set to record, although I'm not nearly as excited about it as I would be if my local station airing it (well any of my local stations for that matter) was able to air syndicated programming in HD. That comes real close to being a deal breaker for me, but I'll check out the pilot anyway.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I happened upon the half-hour long promotional bit last weekend. They showed the first 15 minutes or so of the pilot. With apologies to the thread starter, I am not impressed.

The thing looks like a vapid collection of every fantasy cliche in the book: A Dark Lord. The Hero, an innocent young man with a destiny. The gal with powers who loves him. The wizard/mentor. A "Sword of Truth". All that was missing was a dragon. The cast is so glossy I am afraid the next reflection off someone's perfect hair might blind me. The creative team in the interviews seems intent on emphasizing the action and the FX, at the expense of the story. Regarding the action, I could do without the overuse of slow motions.

And while the similar material makes comparisons inevitable, even in those short 15 min, I found a few shots shamelessly ripped off LOTR, which is just lazy.

I will watch the pilot anyway, fantasy is too rare on TV to not give this a chance. But I am skeptical for now...

--
H

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Be sure to check the other local stations. It might be 3am Sunday morning. Search some guide listings, like at tv.zap2it.com

PaulHeroy

Stunt Coordinator
I tried to watch, but I guess I'm spoiled... was really disappointed by the fact that my local station (WLFL in Raleigh & Durham NC market) is showing this in SD, not HD. The listings in the guide show an HD symbol so I called the station to ask what is going on, and found that they won't be able to show non-network material in HD until 2010. Yikes.

The show itself, what I saw of it, looked pretty hackneyed as folks mentioned. Not irretrievably so, but combined with not being able to watch in HD my interest petered out quickly.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Huh, it actually is airing in HD on my local ABC station. I've gotten halfway through the 2-hour pilot, and it's okay. I'm not a big sword-and-sorcery fan, but it's not bad, so far as that goes.

DinBad

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
I'm enjoying this too. Read a few of the books, but it's just fun to have some good old fantasy back on the schedule.

Particularly love the sword fights every week!

DinBad

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
and btw, the WGN feed is not HD, just the local affiliates like a CW. That may not be everywhere though.

But yes, I am enjoying the show, particularly the weekly sword fights. Great stuff for TV!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've watched the two hour premiere and had a good time. But, as I commented to my wife, it's too early to watch the show. Such programming is best watched after midnight; 8pm is all wrong
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Not sure when I'll get to the next episode. Seeker may stay on the Tivo until the network series go into hibernation for the holidays.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
been catching up on my DVR. upto through ep12 or 13 now.

the mother confessor had pretty interesting music, so that's the best ep imho so far.

any1 else been watching this? i know it's slack, but it's semi entertaining similar to xena/herclues (which i know uses the same crew on this series as well from those 2 series)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks