What's new

LEGEND DVD discussion thread (for ALL comments on packaging, transfer, film, etc.) (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know why this was pulled off the shelf about a year ago?
Supposedly Mr. Scott was not happy with the transfer, and they missed the window for the Hannibal tie-in, so we had to wait for Black Hawk Down to come out

This however did give Scott Free a ton of time to really tweak the disc. I think they only turned it in a few months back, and I'm sure Mr. Scott is 99% happy with it.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I've merged two existing threads on Legend and retitled the merged thread. Let's try to keep all the Legend comments in one place.
M.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Well, I have Legend: UE in my hands. Very nice packaging, but I do have some concerns. First, it has almost a flip-cover type style using clear plastic, but once you take off the shrinkwrap and 3 security stickers, the flap doesn't tend to stay shut. Also, the booklet on the inside is simply dropped in -- there is no holder for it, so I can see it at risk of falling out or getting lost pretty easily.
But, above all else, my biggest complaint is the security tag. Somehow they placed the tag underneath the clear disk holder, which is then glued into place. Since the disk holder is clear, and the case itself is clear, from the back you can clearly see the security tag in all it's glory. I can't figure out a way to get it out without damaging the case! Once everyone starts getting theirs in today and tommorow, please post thoughts or ideas on how to safely get rid of it!
If the only complaint is with the case. That's an easy fix, new case.
Peace Out~:D

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
That's an easy fix, new case.
Yes, which I think will be quite in demand. I may have to hunt down elements for a dual Alpha design. This needs a nice thick spine for the shelf.I think I'd use the US artwork on it over the European, since I prefer that one sheet.

I agree with Ron that if this is the only complaint, it is the easiest to fix. Is it tomorrow yet?

todd stone

Screenwriter
Strange, I have both soundtracks on CD, and yet I always liked the tangerine dream score better, perhaps that is because I too compose this style of music on my KORG :)
I will have to see goldsmiths score with the film now to really judge.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I've been looking forward to this one as much as anyone, and my editor was kind enough to send me one last week! :)
Anyone who likes this movie will adore this DVD set! I don't like how the clear part of the packaging doesn't close fully (and yeah, that pain-in-the-ass security sticker too), but that's not enough to ruin my excitement.
It may have taken longer than we hoped, but I'm positive that fans will ADORE this 2-disc set. I expect it to easily make my Top Ten DVDs of the Year list!
I hope all the other Legend fans out there are as pleased with this set!

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I could have had it last week but it would have cost me an arm and a leg (painful), so I have it on order from my usual source at a far more reasonable price, should have it by the end of the week.
Woohoo! Finally at last, the 2 hour directors cut of Legend with the gorgeous Goldsmith score is a reality, never really cared much for the TD score, but I'm glad its included too.:emoji_thumbsup:

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
I got Legend: UE today and am thoroughly enjoying it. A big "thank you" to HTF member Charles de Lauzirika for all the work he put into this release... and also for putting up with all of our "when's it coming out, huh?" questions over the past couple of years. :)
Great job, Charlie!
doug

Jo_C

Second Unit
I just been to the DVDFile.com site, and I got just a tiny, tiny bit of the 'director's cut'. I saw the first clip from it, albeit for only about 5 seconds, but even this small fragment is but another taste of what's to come. Judging by the clip (which takes place after the goblins take a shot at the unicorns), it appears that we'll hear more of Goldsmith's music than in the UK release.

Tomorrow is hours away, LEGEND fans.

Margo

Agent
Heaven.... I'm in heaven...
Anyway, got the DVD set and watched the original version with the Tangerine Dream score. I'm going to watch the Director's cut next to see what it's like, but I'm just thrilled to have the version I remember seeing when it came out.
Also had time to watch the "Making of..." documentary. Was really surprised to not see Tom Cruise at all. Not only that... no one even mentioned anything about him. It was as though he wasn't even part of making the film! Strange choice on his part, me thinks! :) As usual, the extras that Charlie is involved in are excellent! Thanks again...

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Will the Canadian cover of this disc be in french? I have already ordered it, but forgot it was Universal until it was too late, and A&B Sound shipped early for the only time I've ever experienced with them. But since I understand the cover for these ultimate editions are not entirely ordinary, maybe there is hope anyway.

Paul W

Second Unit
I managed to get the security sticker off like so:
Pull the outside clear plastic cover out about 1/4" (not enough to break the glue bond.
Insert a sharp steak knife in the gap and attempt to peel the security sticker off little by little (for best results go for 1mm at a time). Once you reach the other end of the security sticker, it should stick to the knife. Remove carefully and push the clear plastic cover back into place.
:D

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
The transfer looks great.

But the packaging stinks and that original score is gonna take some getting used to.

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Fedex did not bring my package early, but he did come first thing this morning!
Finally, after 17 years I've just finished watching the Director's Cut. I also fast-forwarded through the Theatrical Cut at 30x just to note the differences, I'll view that a later date (although I will probably listen to the isolated Tangerine Dream score tonight, as I am a major TD fan!).
[To Michael Reuben - this is yet a different cut from what you saw in Europe - that cut is available now on DVD in Europe - this cut is the original director's cut available for the first time. I've never seen the European cut, so any comments about it are third hand.]
First off, the US Theatrical Cut adds an opening text explanation, and the ending is more clear cut. (I'll make this spoiler free, since many have not received their disk.)
Suffice it to say that in the Director's Cut, a number of things are only implied in the ending, whereas in the Theatrical Cut, they are explicitly shown (I think that there was at least one photo shoot to accomplish this, but that may not be true, I'll have to consult the Legend FAQ website at Legend FAQ .
The Director's Cut restores many bits of "color" that make the film more "Lord of the Rings"-esque, ie more about the elves, songs that were removed (no doubt because they were at odds with the new rock soundtrack), etc.
There are many bits that were in one version of the film, but not the other, that are in the director's cut (see question 3 on the FAQ site).
The transfer is excellent, and presents the beautiful photography that I remember well from viewing the original version in the theater. I don't have any criticisms at all about how the disk came out - except that on my player, it has the longest layer change pause of any DVD that I have seen in my 3 years of DvD viewing (this could just be an aspect of my 1999 Toshiba player). The theatrical version looked pretty good too at first glance, but I haven't yet had time for a critical evaluation on that one.
PS I'm thankful for the suggestion above about the security tag, as I was hoping that someone at HT would figure it out!
PPS Great job, Charlie! A big thanks for the spoiler-free menus!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
[To Michael Reuben - this is yet a different cut from what you saw in Europe - that cut is available now in Europe - this cut is the original director's cut available for the first time. I've never seen the European cut, so any comments about it are third hand.]
The director's cut DVD presents that almost exactly as I remember it.

M.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
This goes on tonight, but I must say I don't understand why Universal insists on this horrendous packaging. I am gratified however, that I finally have this in my possesion after that excrutiating wait. I do thank Charlie for pushing to have this served up with both versions, for which I will be eternally grateful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks