1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Legal MP'3 downloading

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by BradK, Dec 28, 2003.

1. BradK

BradK Well-Known Member

OK, I'm looking into using a legit site for downloading tunes. Anyone try the buck a month, unlimited downloading sites that claim to be 100% legal? Are they? How is the service?
    I know of a couple people that use the .99 cent a song thing and it's good, just wondering about the others.

2. Scooter

Scooter Well-Known Member

Scooter
    WalMart online does it for $.88 American now.

3. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Well-Known Member

deja vu... IBTL...

(i use itunes)

4. Scott L

Scott L Well-Known Member

why would this thread be locked if it's about legal downloading? I'm gonna use Musicmatch from now on as they provide the best quality, however the past 3-4x I searched for the song I wanted they didn't have it available. [​IMG] I use itunes for everything else.

There's also Real's Rhapsody which is also less than $.99 usd. Haven't heard much about it.

5. Chris Derby

well, seeing as how the originator's previous thread got locked, it wouldn't surprise me if this one did.

besides, i doubt that the "buck a month, unlimited downloading sites that claim to be 100% legal" are legal at all. discussing such would be against forum policy.

btw, it appears that apple has really recevied the "best deal" with the record labels regarding their music catalog. unfortunately, they only offer their downloads as AAC instead of the more popular mp3 format. this limits the itunes userbase from a portable digital musicplayer perspective.

as far as quality, i doubt that you could hear a difference between downloads from itunes, musicmatch, etc. but there are other places on the net to debate endlessly about whose codec is the best (http://www.hydrogenaudio.org for one).

6. Scott L

I hear a difference but I have sensitive ears. Most probably won't know or care.

7. PaulT

PaulT Well-Known Member

8. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Well-Known Member

There are ways around it. Not to break forum rules and reveal the ways, but iTunes allows you to burn unlimited CD's from the AAC files...and from there...well, you can figure the rest out.

It definitely is a slight hassle for my Creative MP3 player, but the hassle is worth owning the higher quality AAC over the MP3. Because, when I do upgrade to a new player, I'll definitely go with one that supports AAC. In fact, I'm sure the Creative firmware upgrades may soon start supporting AAC, so it's only a matter of time.

9. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Well-Known Member

For legal downloading in Canda you can go to puretracks .

I have never used it, so I can't comment on the quality.

10. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Well-Known Member

I use iTunes for just about everything. The AAC format does limit you to jsut an iPod for your portable music player, but it's the best on the market anyway, so that's not really a bad thing.

11. McPaul

McPaul Well-Known Member

Paul M
    anyone else have experience with Puretracks?

I'm just chomping at the bit for iTunes availability in Canada. I'd purchase an iPod in a second, and probably a powermac too.

12. Chris Derby

13. McPaul

McPaul Well-Known Member

Paul M
    I found out about puretracks.com.

It's all Windows Media files, not even mp3. what's the difference in quality?

grrrrrr!! is it too much to ask for a high quality medium which is reasobly priced and VERY portable??

GRRRRR!!

14. Scott L

WMA does indeed sound better than aging MP3, bitrates being the same. Only thing you gotta watch out for is the DRM protection.

15. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

I use Itunes, and like it.. but I'm mostly interested in downloading Audiobooks, which seem like a perfect fit.. the only hitch is: while you can burn songs off to CD w/Itunes, I'm unsure what (if any) options you have in burning off a 5 hour title, if it would auto-split it into CDs or if you're just stuck.

16. McPaul

McPaul Well-Known Member

Paul M
    Thanks Scott, so WMA is closer to CD quality? not as much compression, but still not as good a quality, right?

what is DRM protection?

17. MarkHastings

Chris, you aren't stuck, but you will have to separate the audio onto several CD's.

What you do (in iTunes) is get info and click the options tab. There's a section that shows start and stop times. For the first CD, set the start time to 0:00 and the stop time (at a natural pause) to somewhere below 1:14:00 (i.e. 74 minutes of CD time). Then you should be able to burn just what you have indicated inbetween the start and stop times.

Then, when you burn the 2nd CD, set the start time to 1:14:00 (or wherever you set the stop time for the previous CD) and set the stop time at the next 74 minute block (or wherever you want to stop the 2nd CD).

NOTE: This info is also useful for other functions...

I have this one song that has a long intro to it and I don't always like listening to that intro, so I'll set the start time of that file to the point where the song kicks in. This way, the MP3 isn't edited (i.e. it contains the full song), yet I bypass that beginning part every time I play it.

18. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

Ah, and it will burn this split to a CD? Neat. OK, that makes me happy [​IMG]

19. MarkHastings

I've never personally done it, so I'm not 100% positive, but from what I've heard (and read) it should work.

CD's are cheap enough to try and test the concept out, I'd give it a shot.

20. Scott L

It's just more efficient encoding since it's a newer codec, just like AAC. But yea, you can still tell a difference between all these and the original.

DRM protection means Digital Rights Management. Depending on the service it may or may not let you transfer your downloaded WMA's to another PC in the house without some hooks involved.