What's new

Led Zeppelin to reform - Robert Plant confirms the rumours (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.nme.com/news/led-zeppelin/30908

Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant has confirmed that the legendary rock band will be reuniting later this year.

A reunion has been strongly rumoured for the last week or so and today (September 5) the singer confirmed it's definitely on.

A fan who met Plant in London today contacted NME.COM explaining that the singer said he was on his way to meet bandmates Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones.

"How did you find out about this?" asked Plant when asked about the prospects of a reunion show by the autograph hunter. "Well we've got a band meeting about it this afternoon about it. There's not a lot to work out as it's only going to be one-off gig."

NME.COM has also learned from a music industry source that the show, possibly to take place in November at the 02 in London, will be a charity gig organised by promoter Harvey Goldsmith.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Cool, with a but. And that but is, I want to see them performing in Dallas. I never got into Plant/Page, but with Jonesy on board, I would so be there.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
One-off... Bummer. I hope then they'd do a CD and DVD. Maybe I can hope they enjoy it enough to do a proper tour. Or at least hit a few key cities over here ... like SF. :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Never thought I'd say this, but after seeing Jonesy play a few years ago w/ Mutual Admiration Society (a side project band he joined for tour only, along with the Nickel Creek kids and Glen Phillips from Toad the Wet Sprocket), the weak link musically might be Page and Plant! Jonesy's still able to play with the best of them (and he played it all, mandolin, acoustic guitar, bass, etc.).

Jeff_A

Screenwriter

Mutual Admiration Society was a tour-only project? That's too bad. I would purchase that in a heartbeat. :)

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
I saw Zep about 6 times on the Physical Graffiti tour...and they were horrible!!

Sloppy, out of tune..

Won't be standing in line for this one.

varybarry

Agent
Real Name
Layla
I'm hoping this one- off sparks them to do an entire tour and possibly a live album. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well Mutual Admiration Society did release a CD, but it was only the Nickel Creek kids and Glen Phillips. If you're just looking for Jonesy stuff don't bother with the CD as he's not on it.

I am a huge fan of Glen/TTWS and Nickel Creek and see them often in concert in a small club in L.A. (hundreds of times for Glen, dozens for NC). What I'm about to relay is first hand info gleaned from things they said in concert and afterwards when they just hang with the fans:

Jonesy is a fan of Nickel Creek and met them when they toured England a few years back. They were ramping up for a tour to support MAS and went for broke, asking Jonesy if he'd like to play with them on tour. He floored them and agreed. He played primarily bass on the MAS songs. But he broke out the mandolin several times to play some NC songs, and then they covered a few Zep tunes. Including a stunning all acoustic rendition of Going to California, where Jonesy played mandolin backed by Sean Watkins on acoustic guitar. Jonesy would play the "vocal" parts on the mandolin. Fantastic!!!

I think if you look at some of the "legal" filesharing sites around the net [i.e. MAS, NC and Glen/TTWS have always allowed taping and trading] you can probably find an MAS show or two.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

6 times?

Consider me jealous.

Some of their best live material comes from that tour. Couldn't have been that bad if you saw them 6 times on one tour. Something tells me you still had a good time. :D

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like Scooter is either yanking our chain or he's a fool for seeing such a sloppy band 6 times.

Still, something tells me that this may not be such a good idea. Jimmy Page, along with Alex Lifeson, is my guitar god. But he was pretty sloppy with The Firm, and that was 20+ years ago. Plant and Jones will be great, of that I have no doubt. It's all down to JP. Does he still have the chops? Zep's music aint' like the Stones', where all you have to do is let Keith Richards bang away on the three chords he knows for a few hours.

I, too, am dubious.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Ooh, I'd have BIG doubts about Plant. His voice is pretty much shot, isn't it? That's what many seem to think. I saw him open for the Who back in 2002 - I can't remember how good/bad/mediocre he sounded...

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

I saw him in 2005 in support of his Mighty Rearranger album. His voice was a little shaky. A bit hoarse at times and a few moments where he was sucking wind but good overall. Still very active and in complete command on the stage though.

How old is he now? He must be in his late 50's early 60's I'd guess.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I saw them on the Walking into Clarksdale tour, maybe 8 or 10 years ago. I'd go see them again. Page takes a while to get going, I'll give you that. (I saw them on both Firm tours, and the 2nd one was much better than the 1st.)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Led Zeppelin is my fav band, but Ive always felt Roberts voice worked best with slower acoustic stuff. To me he was always the weak link.

JPJ is a musically gifted freak.

Fav albums are prob LZ III and Presence.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Little blurb in the paper today. There has been something like 20 million hits on the web site for tickets for the London show. But it's a 20,000 seat venue. :)

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I wouldn't pay to see these old guys perform live, but I would love to see quality releases of their catalog on a high quality format. Give me meticulously made SACD, DVD-A, Blu-ray or HD DVD releases of the studio albums and Blu-ray or HD DVD releases of their best concerts, even the reunion shows if they are any good. It is time the recorded material from the greatest hard rock band of all-time receives a worthy treatment. The 2-disc DVD of highlights from several old shows was darn good audio wise, so I am confident it can be done. I guess the 40-year anniversary is coming soon and this group could have been just another reincarnation of The Yardbirds. These guys got it right and I am afraid a reunion concert, tour or release won't be a worthy addition to their catalog.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks