What's new

LED (like Samsung UN40B6000) vs. LCD Displays? (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Any opinions or relevant info?

I am again considering a Samsung ~40" LED or LCD display. The LED in question is the Samsung UN40B6000, vs. something like the Samsung LN40A650 LCD.

They are both 120Hz, high contrast ratio, etc. etc.

In theory the LED set has the better picture. For sure the LED is thinner, consumes less power and is supposed to be better for the environment. The LED is slightly more expensive, but that isn't a primary concern -- I last bought a TV 10 years ago -- so if it the set I end up with is good, I'll be happy.

Any and all advice appreciated!

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
They are both LCD displays. LED only refers to the backlight technology behind the LCD screen, differentiating it from the older flourescent lamp tube technology. There are two types of LED backlights, "edge-lit" vs. array behind the screen with "local dimming" capability.

I have not kept up with the latest pros & cons of these latest models, someone else should chime in. I think edge-lit is mainly to enable extremely thin form factor & power savings, PQ may not be as good in all respects vs. local-dimming.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
There aren't many "local dimming" ones on the market at this point; it's still something of a prototype field right now.

Local-dimming would allow for better contrast and dynamic range, but it's a whole lot more processing, too.

I just saw one of the Samsung (I think) ~55" screens, LED edge-lit, and it was amazingly thin, that I'll grant!

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't sound like you were too enthusiastic about the picture quality -- how do you think it compares to their traditional LCDs?

I checked J&R yesterday, they didn't have them. And boy did everything look just awful -- can't any manufacturer be bothered to calibrate their sets before shipping them out?

DavidGT

Stunt Coordinator
What is your budget? and are you sure 40" the biggest size you want? even for a bedroom at least 46" will be suff. I just picked up 46B6000 tonight at bb. Toshiba has a new 240hz lcd 100K CR for only $1499 for 47ZV650U that's just as nice as my B6000 and bested the 46B850 that was near it.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Clearly you don't live in a New York City apartment
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
40" is as big as I want. It will be replacing a 20" Apple Cinema Display, and will be used at least partially as a computer monitor. Had Apple upgraded their 30" ACDs to Display Port I would have gotten one instead.

Thanks for the info on the Toshiba, I'll check it out. And do let us know how you end up liking your knew set.

DavidGT

Stunt Coordinator
well I've seen those 300-400 sq ft NY apt on HGTV small living, big design shows and your place cannot be any smaller than my 13x12 bedroom and I have 46". but if you set at 40 then they do have a 42ZV650U for about a grand. really nice with the 240hz clearscan and resolution+ that makes SD feel like HD.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
That Toshiba does look very tempting! I do have to make sure it works correctly with (at 1080P resolution, no over/under scan over DVI to HDMI or Display Port to HDMI) with my Mac, as it will be the primary source for my new display. Anyone with info in that regard, please speak up!

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
The Samsung I saw had what I consider to be unacceptable off-angle response. It probably wasn't as bad as I'm remembering it, but my off-angle standards are probably also ridiculously high. But then I work in a museum, and we have to assume the worst about where people might be watching the screen from!

Leo

Bailz

Auditioning
Real Name
scott william
just on this led samsung my friend brought the 40in backlitled / lcd screen and is not 100% happy with it sure the picture is crystal clear but just when people move on the screen it looks somehow fake that i cant decribe, my sugestion is play a blu ray through it first before you buy it to make sure you like what you see

scott

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
I am in the proccess of evaluating a front projector from BenQ that uses LED for the lamp. Thus far, I am VERY impressed with it.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

That effect is caused by the "auto-motion plus" (AMP) interpolation processing. This can be turned down or off in the setup menu.

Users who are viewing this thread