What's new

leave it to beaver (1 Viewer)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
this show consistently has good humor, along with some good lessons.

but beaver and andy took it a step higher. they dealt with the subject of alcoholism in a real good way.

no wonder i like old shows better - they dont make em like that any more.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
they just had ann barnes on as frances hobbs.

i dont know which one i think is cuter - mary ellen, gloria or frances.

i need to see them altogether.

frances was very appealing to me.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I love LEAVE IT TO BEAVER; I always have... I'm slowly making my way through the Complete Series set; I'm a couple of episodes into Season 3 right now, and have noticed something that cracks me up, that I never really noticed before-- Wally and The Beav almost never finish their milk! Watch any scene where they're eating dinner in the formal dining room, or are having breakfast or lunch at the kitchen table... June and Ward allow them to be excused to leave the table, and invariably, both glasses' contents are still, equally, at the exact half-way mark. And those aren't small glasses, either! :rolling-smiley:

No way would I ever get away with wasting milk like that when I was a kid... it'd be like pouring my folks' money down the drain!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
boy - show after show after show has really good life lessons.

wally's orchid was no exception.

mary ellen rogers was playing a high maintenance girl named myra.

i like the wally shows. lately, they have been having more of them.

because of the age difference, the life lessons are different between wally and beaver.

i have read in real life that mary ellen rogers is a very nice person.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Glad you are enjoying LITB so much, Jimmy. It's a great, great show to be sure. What you hit on, mentioning the Wally stories being a bit enjoyable, is a part of the reason I tend to enjoy the later seasons of the show more than the early ones (although they are all fantastic). That, and the increasing emphasis on the tandem of Eddie and Lumpy, especially in the last season. There are some real beauts I'm positive you'll enjoy tremendously once you hit that 6th season.

Gary "this show is a Top Ten All-Time Favorite of mine" O.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i knew that ken osmond is a retired policeman, but i did not know that it was because he was shot.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i just saw beaver and violet. veronica cartwright is now playing violet. that is not the same girl that played violet in the black eye episode.

and they showed gwendolyn rutherford for the first time. that face and voice sure sounded familiar, but i could not come up with it until i saw the credits.

majel barrett just seems a bit too pretty for fred - i cant quite see them as a couple !!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
If anyone's intersted in picking up the box set at Amazon, there's a box-set sale today that includes ...'Beaver' Amazon's Deal of the Day page. Beaver price is $73.49

Barney Miller, Peter Gunn, and Route 66 complete sets are also included in the sale.

Amazon link is here

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I'm also working my way through the entire series. Just watched one of my all-time favorites yesterday, "Beaver Joins A Record Club". I haven't seen that episode in years; I always got a real kick out of Beaver's swingin' dance moves! This whole series is great fun.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
back to watching some litb.

i have my blu-ray and dvd players hooked up to separate hdmi ports on my tv.

apparently, each hdmi port has its own settings - at least on my tv.

i am still on season 3, so black and white.

i am pretty much using the same settings that i have currently on my blu-ray video setting.

the one thing that i played around with quite a bit was the dnr - cycling from off to high, so that i could get the maximum effect possible.

it was not a lot of difference. and it was a bit hard to tell, cuz i paused the dvd, made the change (the menu takes about a minute for me to finish), and then un-pause.

i am pretty sure that it was not better with the dnr on high. i couldnt tell for sure if it was worse, but i think it was.

in any case, i am leaving it off, as i certainly did not find it to be better.

i just finished disk 5, where richard spills baseball glove oil on wally's suit.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i was thinking that someone said that 5 and 6 were in color ?

if not, no big deal.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Beaver in color would just be strange.

I adore my series set. among my most most favorite series I own. I couldn't imagine not having it on hand to watch as I grow old. I'm liking Denise the Menace too. In fact, I was worried Denise would be one that would age, but it's still funny and likable with many memorable scenes per episode.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i havent seen dennis since a young boy. i liked it, but i dont recall the characters any more like i did with beaver.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
jimmyjet said:
i havent seen dennis since a young boy. i liked it, but i dont recall the characters any more like i did with beaver.
I remembered only one episode before buying the dvds. The one where Dennis is selling "All your can drink" root beer at a stand in front of his yard. When I was 11 or 12 that was the funniest thing in the world. ..but as I watched them I remember other moments, like when he goes out to run in the springers and mom says he can't wear his school clothes, so he drops the clothes as he's running outside, and as mom gets to the underwear she screams "Dennis...!!!!" lol

The show is a serious jolt of "remember when you were a kid?" nostalgia. I'm actually surprised I still like it so much.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
heck, i like almost all the family shows. some of the sillier shows i probably wont like as much any more.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'm mostly the same. Sadly, I couldn't get into Father Knows Best anymore. We loved that when I was a kid, the whole family. But when I caught it on TV a few years back it just felt tedious. :( Now Ozzie and Harriet I love! The thread on here just got bumped, I hope with some news about the official release. I'd also like to see Patty Duke again, it's been years and the Shout! trailers make it look like it's aged good.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i havent seen fkb since a kid. but i will be real surprised if i dont like that one.

in fact, i am actually liking them better.

with beaver, the cute teasing between june and ward is great, and there is no way that a little boy would have appreciated it.

i thought buffy was just tremendous on family affair. with just looks, she could speak volumes. once again, i would not have been able to appreciate that as a kid.

with bewitched, i still like the interplay between darrin, sam, and endora. but the rest of the characters are a little to dumb for me. i like andy and opie, but i dont like too many of the other characters.

i was having this discussion in the film grain thread. but i very much tend to like things that correspond to real life, for me.

while some like it to escape from life, my viewing brings me closer to life. there is nothing good or bad in why we watch, just that it is different.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Father Knows Best, just like LITB and Dennis, has held up great for me. And I love O&H and the first couple of seasons of Patty Duke. The 3rd and final year didn't hold up as well.

The most prominent example of an older show not holding up for me was The Lucy Show. Season One was great. Two started going downhill. Three was barely watchable. And I have no interest in the California years even though I loved the entire run as a kid. Same with Here's Lucy. Didn't hold up at all for me. But to each his own and I'm happy all the Lucy stuff has been released for fans of her different series.

Gary "I think most of us have shows that haven't held up for us" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks