What's new

Leave it to beaver season 3? (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Well, we've now hit November and there's been no announcement from Universal about a third season release. I'm 100% convinced at this point that we should not expect another LITB set until at least 2007. No way is it on the schedule for this year. What a shame. Sigh...

Gary "unless I see some huge announcements for 'Classic' releases [shows from the 50's & 60's] in the next couple of days, I'm going to officially declare the state of Classic TVonDVD to be on the downside and quickly losing its heartbeat - someone better know CPR" O.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
While we're all waiting for season 3, I'd like to bring up a subject that's always caught my attention. Leave It To Beaver was always such a wholesome family show that very rarely would it stray from its formula. It was a show, not about the way great American life was at the time, but rather a show about what great American life SHOULD've been at the time. The formula was usually there...You all know it by now...Beaver would be given bad advice by either Larry, Whitey, Gilbert, Richard and even Eddie or Lumpy, and in later seasons it would be Wally who was given bad advice by either Eddie or Lumpy. We usually learned our lessons the same way the boys did, never lie to your parents, and definitely NEVER listen to the advice of people who have consistently proven themselves to be untrustworthy! :) As I said, rarely would the show stray from its concept. However, there were several episodes that I consider a bit out of place for LITB. Specifically I can name 3 of them. One was an early episode where Ward hires a friend to help as a gardener ( I believe...I haven't seen the episode in quite awhile). Anyway, it turns out the man had a drinking problem. Another episode dealt with Beaver letting a hobo into his home, and he winds up taking a bath, and "borrowing" one of Ward's suits. The other episode that comes to mind is probably the one episode that I believe slightly crossed the LITB border where we see life beyond the show's green pastures. It was a last season episode where Wally goes out with a girl who drinks, smokes, and hangs out with a shady crowd. I consider this episode as the one where Wally (and the audience) loses his innocence and begins to understand life in the real world. The world wasn't as rosy as LITB portrayed it to be, and that episode opened Wally's (and our) eyes. Does anyone remember any other episodes from the show that felt "different" than the usual formula?

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
The episode where Beaver finds out that Uncle Billy is a phoney and a blowhard (by overhearing him in the barber shop) was another time Beaver lost his innocence.

Tom.W

Second Unit
A couple of others come to mind focusing on Wally's loss of innocence - with apologies to David VP if I'm duplicating your contributions - the one where he finds out teenage marriage is not necessarily a cakewalk after a dinner with Ryan O'Neal and his wife. Also the episode with Cindy Robbins who uses Wally to revenge and win back her boyfriend. These episodes are all 5th or 6th seasons, my favorites.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
No duplications of mine there, Tom. The things I linked to are made-up storylines (with a racy twist), just for fun. :)

It would seem that more "true-to-life" situations did seep into Mr. Mosher's and Mr. Connelly's scripts during the last two seasons of LITB.

I enjoy all of the seasons of the show myself (virtually equally), but in a very real sense, the series does almost feel like two different series altogether -- with Seasons 1, 2, and 3 having a different "flavor" to them vs. Seasons 4, 5, and 6.

And for some reason they've made Ward a lot stiffer and straight-laced in those latter years. You rarely see him when he's not clad in a suit coat and tie -- even at dinner or in a casual at-home setting.

But in the early years, Ward is often seen in his shirt-sleeves. In fact, I'd have to check -- but I don't think he's EVER in a tie and coat at the dinner table in the first couple of seasons....which makes sense. Who on Earth dresses up to the nines for a dinner at home with the wife & kids? As The Beav might say -- "That's just kinda goofy". :)

Another episode that takes a more serious tone is "Beaver's House Guest", the ep. with Barry Gordon guest-starring as "Chopper", who has multiple sets of step-parents.

The episode that just preceded the Chopper show is one of my faves -- "Beaver Won't Eat" -- which has Beaver being punished for not eating his brussels sprouts. That one has a semi-serious tone to it, with June pitching a minor fit or two re. The Beav's persnickety eating habits. :)

tce911

Auditioning
Real Name
thomas c
Im new to this site, but I've been reading the post's since mid august, and I am also extremely concerned about this season 3 issue, does universal even read these threads?, also to David VP Sorry your crystal ball failed on this one!!, I was also hoping to see the anouncement regarding a 6 "single sided disc set" and the fact that universal dosen't even want to say anything about why there hasn't been any word until now. I guess they think we are all "not intelligent" or something as to why they won't come out and just say yes or no. Maybe that website that was posted earlier "that tells us to indicate if we want an e-mail upon release announcement" is a sign that they plan to eventually release the season. Lets just hope so.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

I'll say it did. (I'd better check the batteries in that damn thing.)

I'm still not the slightest bit worried though. (Just as I wasn't worried about an MTM-2 release after years of disappointments.)

The Beaver is TOO GOOD a show to be totally abandoned. Plain and simple.

Sure, it's all about "sales". Obviously it is. But, one day LITB 3 thru 6 will be sitting next to my first two sets.

Blind faith?

Perhaps.

But IMO that's a better outlook than "Total Beav Abandonment". :)

(Anybody got any batteries on them...the teeny-weeny skinny jobs? This thing's really on the blink.) :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I had figured you had sent away for it from an ad in the back of a magazine. Remember? Like that movie projector you ordered once?!

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

[gazes intently at ball -- new batteries installed]

I see a one-armed man running from my home with a Fuge DVD set under his one arm. The date of this heinous incident: Tues., July 10, 2007.

We'll see how crappy the ball is re. this one.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
An "AHP"/"LITB" Interjection.......

Anybody who has the 2nd-Season set of Alfred Hitchcock Presents will notice a "Beaver Connection" (other than the constant use of LITB musical cues throughout all AHP episodes) in the episode titled "Martha Mason, Movie Star" (on Disc #5).

That episode features both the interior and exterior of the "485 Mapleton Drive" house from LITB Seasons 1 and 2.

Kinda strange seeing other people occupying the Cleaver abode. Doesn't seem quite right (somehow). :)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

I remember seeing inside of the house from My 3 Sons on another show once, but of course i dont remember the show. Also i have seen the outside of the Bewitched house on many shows, like Emergency!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
David, I hope that Crystal Ball gets repaired :)

At least I can click on my favorite LITB theme and listen to it on my PC to help with the waiting.... I love that '62 "jazzed up" intro.

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator
Guys,

I don't get it. Universal gave the royal treatment to BOTH seasons of The Munsters and also (I think) released or soon plans to release some Munster movies, so why would they abandon LITB on DVD after only two seasons?

I did hear on the news some weeks ago that there were several layoffs at NBC/Universal. Whether this affected the release of Universal's TV series on DVD, I don't know.

Jack

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

They haven't. And there's no (good enough) reason to think they have abandoned it (as of this date in November 2006).

My $0.02. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks