What's new

LEADING LADIES COLLECTION VOLUME 2 (1 Viewer)

Charles H

Screenwriter
Movies Unlimited is taking pre-orders for WB's LEADING LADIES COLLECTION: VOLUME 2 (Anyone recall what was Volume 1?) to be released on November 6. The titles (to be sold individually) are RICH AND FAMOUS, I'LL CRY TOMORROW (Finally!!!), BIG HAND FOR A LITTLE LADY (my personal favorite of the litter), UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE, and SHOOT THE MOON.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm really happy about UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE and I'LL CRY TOMORROW. Looking forward to those very much.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel

According to amazon: Now Voyager / Mildred Pierce / For Me and My Gal / Father of the Bride / Dial M for Murder.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
Would be nice if BIG HAND FOR A LITTLE LADY also included BIG DEAL IN LAREDO, the TV drama it was based on.

Corey

Screenwriter
It would've been nice if they had included the long awaited, I Married A Witch.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
Let's hope they use the right element for RICH AND FAMOUS (1981). The original Laserdisc and VHS editions were uncut, but a later VHS reissue mistakenly used a TV version with all of the nudity and language cut out!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully, Jacqueline Bisset and Candice Bergen will contibute a commentary on Rich And Famous and perhaps Diane Keaton and director Alan Parker on Shoot The Moon. I don't think Joanne Woodward (Big Hand For The Little Lady) does interviews anymore and principal participants of I'll Cry Tomorrow and Up The Down Staircase are long gone.

walter o

Supporting Actor

Yep, the old large gatefold-ish MGM box is uncut, but the small blue at the top box was the TV version, even though the picture was sharper and looked to be digitally remastered! Hopefully Warner will notice the mistake MGM made.

I can now retire my VHS of UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Big Hand...is the only one of the five I've seen- but I love it and will look forward to getting it. The others, at the very least, sound like an eclectic mix.
This should be streeting right around the time of the next DD sale (assuming they still have it), so for a likely cost of $27, it doesn't sound like it would be a bad blind buy.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member

Seeing how this is a Warners collection and I MARRIED A WITCH (1942) is a Paramount/Universal property, I don't see how that could have happened...

It's not too hard to figure these things out, you know!

MTanner

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
Warner released I Married A Witch on VHS.

Strange grouping of titles but I'm particularly happy about Shoot The Moon. I hope there is an accompanying commentary track!

Corey

Screenwriter

Guess what? Warners owns I Married A Witch and talked about its release in 2005. Egg on your face.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

Actually Warner doesn't own "I Married a Witch"...they distribute it under license from Castle Hill Productions (the same folks who license them STAGECOACH).

.....and the other member's supposition that "Witch" would have been an old Paramount film now owned by Universal is somewhat understandable. Indeed, Veronica Lake was very much under contract to Paramount in those early '40s, and in fact, "Witch" WAS made by Paramount, as was another film in that group "To Be Or Not To Be"...however Paramount had a surplus of films that year, added onto the limited distribution factor of WWII cutting off much of international sales, thereby leading Paramount to sell a few titles to others on a permanent basis. "Witch" was one of these. Like most UA films pre-'52 ownership traveled elsewhere.

I would think WB is still considering a release of I MARRIED A WITCH, but it would stick out like a sore thumb in this release. The last title I would imagine being included, frankly. The films in this release are more contemporary in nature, with the earliest being I'LL CRY TOMORROW. However, the frank subject matter in TOMORROW, and the use of location photography gives it a much more modern sensibility than older "Golden Era Hollywood" films.

WB will probably release WITCH in a group of screwball comedies. A genre they haven't visited in a while. But such speculation on my part is just that....

Meanwhile, I like all these films a great deal, and they really do showcase the leading actresses in a most impressive way. It's especially exciting to see a truly great film like UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE included. It was a big box-office success in its day, based on a huge best-selling book...and I hope it hasn't been too forgotten. Films like these need to sell well in order for them to continue to be made available.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan

There was also a late 90s/early 2000s-era Warner Bros. VHS issue, which used the original poster artwork on the boxcover. I wonder if this release also restored the original theatrical cut.

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member

The "other member" thanks you for the erudite exposition.

Meanwhile, the "other member" humbly asks the "previous member" why it is that, if Warners really mentioned I MARRIED A WITCH (1942) back in 2005, they are nowadays simply announcing one mediocre collection after another or else coming up with remaster/re-release jobs when, all the while, they are sitting on gems like I MARRIED A WITCH...

Corey

Screenwriter

[Derek_Germano] Thanks for coming tonight. Any chance of 16:9 enhanced versions of SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS or BRIGADOON- perhaps SE’s with both CinemaScope and flat versions? Also, I MARRIED A WITCH would be nice.

[warnerbros] Yes, a SEVEN BRIDES 2 Disc SE with BOTH versions (remastered!) is coming this year for its 50th. BRIGADOON is on tap for a remaster 16x9 next year, but we don't know if it will be both versions or not. We are thinking about I MARRIED A WITCH for '05.

So actually Warners said this during their 2004 chat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks