What's new

LCD survey.. (1 Viewer)

WilliamHg

Stunt Coordinator
just wondering how many people here have bought a new LCD and have had NO problems since you got it home and must be at least 1 year old? with all the problems people seem to have with the new TVs these days, myself included, i'm wondering if i'm asking to much to expect a new TV to actually work from day one for at least a year or more with no problems or are defects just something to be accepted?
with the money we pay for TVs these days you'd expect alittle better quality at least i do. i don't like the idea of coming home with a new TV in the back seat and instead of looking foward to watching it i'm wondering if it's going to work at all and then for how long.
right, i'm aware of how hi tech everything is these days but still...
anyway, back to the question? william

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I have bought 2, a 32" Norcent and a 37" Olevia. No problems so far except each has 1 dead pixel. No problem to the eye, unless you are looking for the dead pixels.

markrey

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Reynolds
I bought my Westinghouse 27" LCD 2 years ago, and it's been great. No dead pixels and great picture on all of my input devices. On a different note: Does anyone have a Westinghouse 32" LCD? Any info on problems would be appreciated. Thanks

Father John A

Stunt Coordinator
On a related note:

What do you guys think of two issues I;m concerned about;

- motion artifacts
- SD scaling

I've not seen any LCDs (store displays only so take it with a grain of salt) that don;t have problems in these areas. Time and time again the LCDs look much more pixelated than any of the other displays. Jaggies are completely unacceptable to me.

CoolCatbro

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reginald Perrin

this kind of comment is common also...we get stuff home, its faulty but we overlook it. "oh well the knob bisted off, but I glued it back on myself",

or "well, the left speaker was blown but I use Home Theater most the time anyway, so its alright".

very strange. what would happen if people went thru the power up and took a friend or two and had several eyes to catch the faults in the store?

would we have to go thru a pile of them to get a good one?

Father John A

Stunt Coordinator

Personally I find your point well taken.

Unfortunately we live in a exceedingly disposable age, both in terms of quality & money. I laugh almost every time I hear people complain about the economy. Most of what we buy is basically pretty crappy stuff. While you can say "hey radios and stuff from yesteryear broke all the time", that may be true but it wasn't the intent of the manufacturer that they did so it more a limitation of technology. And this when people really did have something to complain about re: the economy. I grew up in a very poor neighborhood, I really don't see those same people today (I'm not old by the way), when I go to the mall or store I see every class of people spending like it's water.

The market is so hungry the manufacturers have very little to worry about.

Sorry about the commentary.

Mary M S

Screenwriter

RP LCD, Sony 60" several years, no problems, couple of dead pixels on purchase, none in an extremely objectionable location.
DVI is not functioning, - although I have not taken the time to figure out if the issue is at the Sony or elsewhere.

Fr. John,

Motion is an issue for me, however I have more trouble watching DLP's. I am hoping by the time of my next display purchase (without buying separates) I can avoid the early-generations force into full screen default at higher resolutions. Drives me crazy doing workarounds to avoid this.

You bring up an issue I have thought about. (disposability) How long feels 'long enough' for electronic purchase's to last.
I expect a decade out of all of my electronics trouble-free.

Whether I wish to leverages my any-time option to upgrade :) , I am extremely leery of a repurchase with any manuf. whose model force me into a replacement during a shorter product life than 10 years. I purchase (rationalizing spending the $) fully expecting to be able to demote older products to second tier status if a newer product has attractive features. :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks