What's new

Lawrence of Arabia (1 Viewer)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
My wife and I saw this in 70mm in Santa Monica at the Aero a few weeks ago.
It was exciting, entertaining, and occasionally incredibly impressive.
Its hard to compare to anything else, as my prior "best" viewing experience for this movie would have been watching the HDNet broadcast on a 65" plasma, or viewing the Superbit DVD at home on my 112" diagonal 2.35:1 DLP projection system.
The print had visible damage. (the heat damage RAH describes) but also it seemed to frequently lose focus. Some shots would be stunning, others would appear soft. The sound was ok.
The aero is a theater that is clearly in need of some work, but I appreciated their effort and enthusiasm. We didnt regret our experience, but we lost our enthusiasm to return for a showing of Vertigo in 70mm.
We both agreed that our own home theater offered a superior viewing experience over the Aero, surpassing everything except the fun of seeing it with a crowd and eating real movie theater popcorn.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
dannyboy104 said:
Thanks for the links Stephen.

There is some more info regarding the Balcony scene , taken from an interview conducted by Geoff McNeal with Robert A Harris in August 2000.

"When we were completing the cut, we attempted to put together a balcony scene in reel 11B, in which Allenby works to get Lawrence to go back to Arabia. The scene had been hacked in the shorter version. David wanted it in. Bob Bolt felt it was the finest scene he had ever written, which is saying a great deal. David directed the looping of dialogue in London with Peter and, lending his voice to the Jack Hawkins character, Charles Gray. We had requested that the studio check the voices on a few actors and select the best for the roll. They simply took the first on the list, which was Gray -- a fine actor-but sounded nothing like Hawkins.*

When we put together the scene, it was obvious that Gray's voice didn't work. At precisely this time, David had to leave for the Cannes Film Fest, Dawn Steel wanted to see the film before he left and we went about recutting the scene once again for a special screening. It was a horrific decision and something that I should have fought at the time, but didn't. David wanted the Allenby lines revoiced and put back at some time in the future. Days after he left town, over cutting room was shut down-and it never happened. I've been trying to get the extended scene reinstated ever since. It adds layers to the film which are unbelievably rich. Their feeling, and one cannot find ultimate fault with their position, is that David allowed the film to be screened in 1989 without the additional footage, thereby accepting it as "his" cut."

* Charles Grey provided his voice(along side Robert Rietty) on numerous films when Jack Hawkins lost his voice due to cancer of the larynx.

screenonline: Gray, Charles (1928-2000) Biography[/quote

For the upcoming(though not officially announced) Blu-ray will the Balcony scene be inserted into the film proper, placed in the supplementals section or none of the above-lost forever?

HeartFixr

Grip
Real Name
Brian Hearon
Blu-Ray release of LOA is like sightings of Elvis, Lock Ness monster and Sasquatch in that all are rumored but never seen. Postings about the release have gone on for years without any product to show for it. Sony it is time to put up or shut up. Let the Sony and LOA apologists and fan boys come forth to defend this lame effort. Innumerable POS movies have been released but not LOA.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by HeartFixr /t/277387/lawrence-of-arabia/30#post_3898735
Blu-Ray release of LOA is like sightings of Elvis, Lock Ness monster and Sasquatch in that all are rumored but never seen. Postings about the release have gone on for years without any product to show for it. Sony it is time to put up or shut up. Let the Sony and LOA apologists and fan boys come forth to defend this lame effort. Innumerable POS movies have been released but not LOA.
I had lunch with Nessie last weekend, they're on a diet so no more eating tourists and its strictly plants from now on, anyways its simple really, they have been working on giving us the best possible presentation of Lawrence Of Arabia in time for the film's 50th anniversary and guess what, this year is the 50th anniversary and the film is going to be released in September of this year, thats confirmed and absolutely is going to happen for the UK.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor

Frank Murphy

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank Murphy
Dear Bob:
It was great seeing you again yesterday at NY Film Festival 4K screening of "Lawrence" It was simply magnificent. I also enjoyed meeting Grover Crisp. His Columbia Pictures/Sony digital team did a fabulous job. Looking forward to the Blu-Ray box set in November!
To all our pals on the forum, the film is being re-released in about 600 theaters nationwide beginning Thursday, October 4, 2012. Be sure to catch it while you can. I'm sure you'll give this stunning restoration a standing ovation just as the audience in Lincoln Center did yesterday!
Here's a list of participating theaters. Don't know which of these might be exhibiting in 4K.
http://www.fathomevents.com/upcoming/alllocations.aspx?eventid=1134
All the best,
Frank
PS - looking forward to the eventual resortoration of John Wayne's "The Alamo"!

HeartFixr

Grip
Real Name
Brian Hearon
I eagerly await the arrival of LOA next week and am publicly humbled by the incredible work performed by Robert Harris and Grover Crisp. The long view of asset preservation is welcome and is a fact unknown to the vast majority of movie buffs. It has been very educational reading the thread and now understanding the odds which were against the success of this project. Hurrah for the artisans who accomplished this.
Mr. Harris, on a different note, your articles in the Digital Bits about film preservation have vanished. Do you have any thoughts about the fate of those articles and how they can be viewed now? Quite illuminating and would like to finish reading them.
FoxyMulder,
Great response to my previous post, perhaps Nessie should have eaten ignorant infidels like me.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
HeartFixr said:
I eagerly await the arrival of LOA next week and am publicly humbled by the incredible work performed by Robert Harris and Grover Crisp. The long view of asset preservation is welcome and is a fact unknown to the vast majority of movie buffs. It has been very educational reading the thread and now understanding the odds which were against the success of this project. Hurrah for the artisans who accomplished this.
Mr. Harris, on a different note, your articles in the Digital Bits about film preservation have vanished. Do you have any thoughts about the fate of those articles and how they can be viewed now? Quite illuminating and would like to finish reading them.
FoxyMulder,
Great response to my previous post, perhaps Nessie should have eaten ignorant infidels like me.
Had in idea the pieces were down. Possibly Bill Hunt can create lions or send them over here.
As to your nom de plume, are you a cardiologist, surgeon, or possibly a modern day male Dolly Levi?
RAH

HeartFixr

Grip
Real Name
Brian Hearon
Interventional cardiology in practice since 1983. On call the night of LOA showing in Charlotte, which was the closest venue. Such is life. I will take a stab at calibrating my home theater projector this weekend before LOA arrives Tuesday.
"create lions" what is that? I just want to read the articles, not be fed to the lions.
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks