What's new

Lawrence Of Arabia On Big Screen (1 Viewer)

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Hey Haggai...shame we didn't get a chance to meet in person!

Luckily, we were parked up on Prospect St. right by the house...we eventually made our way to 16th St. and took that most of the way up toward Silver. I have to say, we never saw so many churches/temples located in such proximity of one another.

We got to the theater early enough to grab the tickets we reserved and catch a bite at the nearby Ruby Tuesday's.

After that, we snuck into the theater early and watched them do a couple of tests with the print...they were making sure it was framed properly as they moved the image up and down.

The lady who announced the show made sure to let everyone know that the Overture and Intermission aspects of the showing were normal and not to "bother" her.

I would have loved to have caught the Lucas tribute they did this summer...particulary the Star Wars trilogy showing.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, my friends hadn't been up that part of 16th St either, they also remarked on the extreme density of religious institutions! AFI Silver is great, I usually go there a few times each month for some classic/foreign repertory screenings.

Gui A

Supporting Actor
I saw this when it was played as the last movie in Toronto's York theater. ... The screen wasnt that big, so the image looked extra sharp. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I didn't see many discussion threads for this film when I searched so I'm just gonna post here.

I wondered about this the first time I saw the movie, but after watching it earlier today, I figured I'd bring it up. Maybe I'm just not hearing the Ls, but why is it that most of the Arab characters seem to say "Awrence" instead of Lawrence? :)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Thanks!

To me, this was a movie that really benefitted from subtitles since I felt it was easy to get lost in a lot of the politics and accented dialogue. I remember thinking that scene was interesting as a watched it, but I forgot all about it afterwards!

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Tim,
Come on down to Austin. LOA seems to show up on the Paramount's screen in 70mm almost once a year.

Shaughan

Stunt Coordinator
Rob, you and I were probably at the dome the same night I am betting. I went the first night that they showed the restored version there. What a stunning experience.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member

You are correct, as I also went the first day they showed the restored version. I went to the second showing of the day though (around 2 pm if I recall correctly)so you may have been at the showing just after mine. The picture was glorious, but there were a few issues with sound (some popping etc). Did you experience any problems with sound?

Evan Case

Screenwriter
Seeing this in 70mm at the Ziegfeld in New York City was the greatest cinematic experience of my life (well, after Dana Carvey's Master of Disguise at least)!

The bus ride from Pittsburgh to home, the drive to NYC, the parking and the tickets and the tolls, and the journey back took upwards of 16 hours on the road and cost well over $100, but I knew it was worth it from the first drum beats of Maurice Jarre's overture.

Evan (who can't comment on the majesty of the 70mm picture quality as his vocabulary lacks the proper adjectives to it justice)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Lawrence of Arabia will be playing for one week at the Ziegfeld Theater March 24 to March 30, 2006. See it on the big screen. Its the only place to appreciate this film.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Per a sign at the Ziegfeld Theater the March 24 to March 30, 2006 showings of Lawrence of Arabia will be 70 MM DTS.
Hopefully a good print still exists .

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Bringing back this oldie to give a heads up. The Castro Theatre in San Francisco will be playing Lawrence of Arabia on July 5 & 6, as part of their 70mm series. On the 8th and 9th is Tati's Playtime.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks