What's new

Lawnmower: buy cheap or feature laden? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Rumor is side yards are now included in hoa. They've been cut twice, now. It's odd this wasn't announced or communicated in some way. Hooray procrastination! I'd almost spent $400 on equipment a couple weeks ago that would be useless.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
When I lived in San Jose, the lack of water had everyone plant bermuda grass. This grew so slowly that I lived with a corded B&D electric the whole time. But when I got to PNW watered Boise, the bluegrass grows so fast that the corded electric would just stall out.

So in June 2009 I bought a $280 Toro recycler with a B&S motor, model 20330. Unlike with my cars I didn't keep any log of maintenance steps other than to throw the receipts into a folder. But now that it's still going strong at 11 years I'm starting to work up logs of maintenance/repair items.

So far I've done the following.

- changed the oil multiple times
- sharpened the blade annually with a bench grinder
- changed the plug and air filter twice
- changed the blade once
- changed the cloth bag once
- changed the "deadman" cable once

This mower always starts with a single pull.

Now I'm wondering how long I can make it last. Anyone have any input on how long a maintained B&S powered mower can last?

When it dies I'd consider a 40v or 80V battery model, but it seems more "green" to keep an existing machine going as long as possible. I use approx. 3 gallons of gas and 2/3 quart of oil per year.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I have no idea how long a "maintained" B&S powered mower can last - just not that regularly maintained ones. My first, a 3.5HP B&S Murray from WM lasted ~18 years. The second, a 6.5HP B&S Craftsman from Sears almost 20 years - until my grandson ran over something (won't say what) and bent the shaft. It still started on the first pull before it was damaged beyond repair. I never changed the oil on either - just added more when it'd get low. Replaced the plug every 3 or 4 years and the blade about the same. The air filters on both could be cleaned so I'd do that at the start of each season.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It depends on where you live and the size of your yard. In many places, a lawnmower is a seasonal tool. However, in a place like Florida, I am Good with a simple push mower. At the rate Florida is going, there isn't much grass in some places to mow anyhow. I see that trend continuing

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
Here in the UK, we have about a one acre paddock and cut it about twice every 8 - 9 days on 'side-eject'. With the mulch kit on, it does a good job on the lawns (about 1/4 of an acre) if they are kept short (about every 5-6 days - this stops the lumps forming as there's less to mulch and hide in the lawn)
The main reason I'm commenting is because we have a 'sit-on' American machine! - a Hustler Fastrak with zero turn. It's excellent but probably more than you want to spend - ours was £3,500 14 years ago.. (but still going strong)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks