1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Law & Order - Jan 12

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by chuck_b, Jan 12, 2005.

1. chuck_b

chuck_b Well-Known Member

** SPOILER **

Is it just me, or was that a strange statement by suddenly departing DA Southerlyn (Elisabeth Rohn) in the final 20 seconds of the episode. Did she say what I thought she said to Thompson? Where did that come from?

2. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Premium
    Supporter

Since you don’t actually write what you are talking about I’ll guess you are asking about her Lesbian comment. Yes she did say it and it did seem to come out of nowhere.

Edit: As I wrote in another post bellow I unexplainable made a mistake when I posted that it "didn't" seem to come out of nowhere. For me it did and I agree with others that it seemed to be there just for shock value.

Just wanted to add the edit here some other wouldn’t bother to comment on my mistake.

Next time I better not post after being up for 20 hours. [​IMG]

3. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Well-Known Member

It didn't?

It did come out of nowhere as far as I'm concerned. No overt indication that she was a lesbian during her run on the show.

I thought it was funny as hell. A "Law&Order twist" to get people talking, and here we are.

The best part of course is that she was actually fired, unlike all her predecessors. I hope her successor is a better character, played by a better actress. She's certainly pretty enough; Jack McCoy's string of luck with his assistants continues....

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Well-Known Member

Don’t forget that McCoy had affairs with his assistants (I actually can’t remember if it was all, or just most of them). I thought that the lesbian comment was a bit of comment that the string was broken.

And while I don’t remember any specific episodes, I am pretty sure that I remember a couple of times where we saw her in a coffee shop or such with another woman (at the end of the episode). Law & Order is so very procedural that it takes a long time to find out anything about the character’s back-stories, and often these are different hints from several episodes. For example we know that Jack’s father was a cop, was probably abusive and certainly had a drinking problem. It is easy to infer that this contributes to his not having a stable relationship and that he too has a drinking problem (we sometimes see him by himself at his desk pouring himself a drink at the end of a disappointing case—very different than a celebratory drink after a success).

So it was with Southerlyn—a hint here and there (and now, confirmed), but nothing substantial. Now we can go back and connect the dots.

5. chuck_b

chuck_b Well-Known Member

I beg to differ. Having watched to show from inception, I was shocked, not at her life choice, but how it just popped in there. If there were "clues", they were very hidden. I just thought it was a toss in that had did not have enough history to make sense. Maybe if the case they were working on had the issue involved it would have transitioned better.

6. Don Peskin

Don Peskin Well-Known Member

I agree that it made no sense and seemed just thrown in for some shock value or something. Well at least it gave me some happy thoughts.

7. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Premium
    Supporter

Wow I apologize that was a mistake in my first post.

To me it did seem to come out of left field. Next time I better proof my post before I submit it.

8. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Well-Known Member

I don't watch the show regularly anymore but tuned in to see how they were going to get rid of the character and to see why everyone was happy for Elisabeth to go. Now I see why. Her delivery of the Lesbian line was almost comical.
    Funny, I always thought she was good on Angel. What happened?

9. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Well-Known Member

Which ones are those? Man, the secrets this show has kept from me.[​IMG] I thought I was a regular watcher. I may have missed a show here or there, but you'd think I'd see at least one affair if McCoy had affairs with "most" of them.

The lesbian thing came out of thin air for me, but so did these "affairs", so I guess I'm not a regular a viewer as I thought.

10. todd s

todd s Well-Known Member

I missed last nights episode. What happened??

11. Phil_L

Phil_L Well-Known Member

Everyone I watched it with was surprised. It didn't seem to have much plot value. If she was remaining on the show it would have been interesting to see how they wove it into the show. I actually grew to like her, and I hate change, so I am a bit sad to see her go. At least she went out with a memorable scene!

12. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Well-Known Member

I agree with this. I'm not sure what the writers were thinking. Why make her a lesbian in the last 15 seconds of the show? For myself, i'm a fan of the show and to throw this out late in the game was disappointing.

I guess now we just wait for the next lady to show up as the assistant DA. Pretty damn predictable.

Paul

13. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Well-Known Member

Or maybe it was a subtle dig at that mentality? Who know? In any case, it was bad writing.

14. Scott Bender

Scott Bender Member

I actually found it more shocking that she was fired then that she was a lesbian. This is a government job right? And didn't the DA say she was a good attorney, just not right for the DA's office?

You would think you would be asked to find another job and if you didn't work it out fast enough you would get transfered to the remote office on the lamest task force they could find.

But then I guess it wouldn't be as dramatic as 'Your fired.'

Scott

15. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Well-Known Member

You could tell that the DA really liked her and the "You're fired" was for her own good. There was no doubt in the DA's head that he was doing her a big favor and possibly creating a big pain for himself by forcing her to become a defense attorney. He obviously admired her skills and wanted to give her no choice than to become whaht she was best at. If he hated her, he'd have busted her to traffic court.

16. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Well-Known Member

Just to be clear: when Jack McCoy first comes in, they establish that he has had affairs with his female assistants. He even married one or two of them. One or two of them (not necessarily the same ones) show up in episodes. It is never explicitly shown in the show that he has an affair with Claire. (In particular, one of Jack's former assistants says something like, "You're having an affair with him, aren't you?" but we never see Claire give an answer.) However, the actors have said that they agreed among themselves to play it as if they had.

As for why make her a lesbian, there is another theory: there's a fan clique that believes that Olivia Benson on SVU is actually a lesbian, despite clearly having affairs with men on the show -- none of which that work out. You can have fun trying to see the "clues" in the show to bolster this idea. So this could be the writers' way of saying, "You want a lesbian, here's your lesbian," in addition to the obvious cheap shock value.

17. Wade_S

Wade_S New Member

Yeah, that whole ending was a let down. The series had its ups and downs over the years, but I've never seen a character written off in such a poor manner. Its like they asked some high school english class how they should wrap up the character and that was the result. As to the lesbian angle, I thought Serena had mentioned dating some guys in some of the episodes (not that everyone has to a life long lesbian). If there were hints, it wasn't anything more than her comments that men constantly disapoint.

18. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Well-Known Member

The lesbian angle was just silly. One of the few real mis-steps I've seen in this entire series. What did she expect Arthur to say, "Yes". Can you imagine the lawsuit? From Arthur's answer it would seem that he was not suprised by Serena's admission so I guess it was common knowledge.

So, now that McCoy had his one blond ADA we now return to the string of brunettes.

19. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Premium
    Supporter

While Claire was alive it was never shown or even hinted at but in one of the seasons after she was gone wasn't the relationship confirmed by some special prosecutor who was questioning Jack?

20. Randy_Sh

Randy_Sh Well-Known Member

Caught my wife and I very much by surprise...both looked at each with that "is that what I thought she said" expression...

Not sure if it was the best way to end things...would have worked better if she was just "fired"...