What's new

Laurel and Hardy shorts on dvd? (1 Viewer)

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I was wondering if anyone has heard any recent news about a Laurel and Hardy R1 release. I too, read the post on the Laurel and Hardy website about a fall 2010 release and have been hoping to see that actually happen. With fall 2010 about gone, I wondered if have I missed something or is L & H still stalled out?

I sure would like to see a R1 complete set released.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I live in Germany and a few years ago went to the US expecting to see alot of Laurel and Hardy. To my surprise, there was almost nothing! ) , they might be more L&H.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by ChrisALM

I was wondering if anyone has heard any recent news about a Laurel and Hardy R1 release. I too, read the post on the Laurel and Hardy website about a fall 2010 release and have been hoping to see that actually happen. With fall 2010 about gone, I wondered if have I missed something or is L & H still stalled out?

I sure would like to see a R1 complete set released.

The Michael Agee/Eleven Memories project mentioned in another thread to issue silent L&H product appears to have fizzled with many people irate that their money was taken and no product delivered (there is a lengthy thread on the L&H forum about this). Anything assoicated with Agee needs to be avoided at all costs; the guy is completely unreliable and has done much more damage than good to the L&H legacy.

On the flip side, the most recent issue of the L&H magazine issued by the UK Helpmates tent had a very promising blurb that the R1 rights issues have apparently been resolved and L&H DVDs (including a potential blu-ray release) may be forthcoming. I e-mailed the editor for more details and he said the source was Richard Feiner who is well known in L&H circles. I'm cautiously optimistic but, quite frankly, not holding my breath at the same time.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Thanks for the update, Steve. I have been cautiously optimistic for a long time, but nothing ever seems to materialize. I hope this latest news results in a R1 L & H release sooner, rather then later.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Someone on the Laurel and Hardy forum says they got their set yesterday....

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Here's a link to the thread

http://laurelandhardyforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14968&start=120

The actual post where the person says they got the discs is down the page a bit. They haven't actually watched the discs yet so a review of the quality is yet to be seen.

It looks like the DVDs use the same cover art as the Image discs. I wonder if Image's lawyers are ok with this?

On a separate note. I posted above about reports that a R1 set was coming. Not surprisingly, the Helpmates people now say they've been told this is not happening. I'll see if I can get more info, but those pesky rights issues keep getting in the way.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Certainly never thought this would actually materialize....but I went the the website to check it out after ignoring it for so long, and the Paypal checkout is no longer available. Not a good sign, or maybe he actually sold all of the preview copies through preorders after this long wait (I doubt it). I'd feel more at ease a bout this if more than one person receives this set.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I couldn't stand it anymore. After YEARS of avoiding going Region Free, I finally invested in a player and sucked it up... I ordered the UK 21 disc LAUREL AND HARDY COLLECTION. I want these films on DVD, and I have given up any hope for a proper R1 release (rumors, rumors, rumors -- for years and years!!). The reason I went for it was because the set is now at AmazonUK for around $38.00.

One thing that I really dread is the PAL speed-up. I am very sensitive and aware of things like that, and I'm concerned that it'll annoy me to the point where I cannot truly enjoy the movies. But I'll see what happens.

The silver lining is that NOW that I have invested the money in this after so long, I will bet that we'll soon enough get a major announcement on a nice L&H set getting released in the US! Do things ever go like that for you? It always does for me!

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi

Okay, I couldn't stand it anymore. After YEARS of avoiding going Region Free, I finally invested in a player and sucked it up... I ordered the UK 21 disc LAUREL AND HARDY COLLECTION. I want these films on DVD, and I have given up any hope for a proper R1 release (rumors, rumors, rumors -- for years and years!!). The reason I went for it was because the set is now at AmazonUK for around $38.00.

One thing that I really dread is the PAL speed-up. I am very sensitive and aware of things like that, and I'm concerned that it'll annoy me to the point where I cannot truly enjoy the movies. But I'll see what happens.

I was concerned about that as well, because I'm one who can detect the pitch change of PAL audio; not so much motion consequences, though. But, also tired of waiting, 3 years ago I got the Universal set. I was happy to find that once the films start and I get into the flow, awareness of any pitch issue pretty much disappears. I've found the same thing happening with R2 versions of 1950s British comedy films - Ealing and the like. Even though I've been familiar with the sounds of these voices since boyhood - and in the case of L&H theirs are burned deeply into my consciousness by now - I've found it just not to be an issue once the films start.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Joe, you will not regret this. On the whole, I am very happy with my UK L&H set and thought it was worth it when I paid the $200 for it. $38 is borderline criminal :)

The sound shorts look awesome; much nicer than the silents. The OOP Image silents were better IMO. The only real complaint I have on any of the sound material is a nasty splice in the Trail of Lonesome Pine number that shouldn't be there. Otherwise the A/V quality is very, very good across the board. The PAL speedup was not an issue for me, especially as Paul said above, once you get into the flow. Most of their humor is visual in any event.

The foreign language shorts included are a must view. The content and casts differ from the US versions and feature some really talented people.

The colorized versions are there, but I'm not a fan of this so I haven't seen them. There is a nice bonus documentary with the likes of Steve Allen and Johnny Carson being interviewed. It's not always factually accurate including a howler from Dom DeLuise who said that when Ollie died, Stan was bedside, holding his hand. I don't think so, Dom.

Regarding the R1 rumors, who knows what is going on. The Helpmates tent of which I'm a member has a pretty good direct source that says it is "off again". However Mark Evanier, equally well connected, posted on his blog within the last week that a US version of the UK set was still rumored to be in the works, but he offered no guarantees. Way Out West just got a wonderful restoration from UCLA so we'll see if this is an impetus to get the shorts released as well.

Again, congrats Joe. You will have many hours of enjoyment from this.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Steve.

Well, although I only paid $38 for the set itself, I also had to pay $141 for a player, and then $32 extra for another HDMI cable! :)

I hope to make up for it by buying other films in other regions that are not available in R1, or at least not in as good form. So far I've ordered a few movies off AmazonUK.

Yes, I had seen the optimistic quote from Evanier before I ordered my L&H set. It gave me pause for awhile, but then I figured the best way to ensure a wonderful R1 Box Set Edition would be to just go ahead and get the R2!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I also just ordered the UK box. I was able to get it for $65 on Amazon.co.uk. While I spent more than Joe for the set, the PAL player I ordered was only $75. For anyone looking for a good All Region NTSC/PAL via HDMI player, I highly recommend this Pioneer. It's $75 after the lowest shipping speed. I've used several of them at work and they are as good as advertised. http://www.regioncodefreedvd.com/pioneer1080p.html

In the end, $140 for the set and player is a great deal, IMO, and certainly better than the sham $200 set from Mr. Agee. Just reading through that thread on the other forum and seeing how they packaged 2006 test discs as a finished product, with illegal use of Image's logos on the home-made printout packaging.... ugh.

Lee Bombard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee
Well if there's anything to the theory that placing an order for the UK set will somehow cause a US set to magically appear...I've done my part. I paid a bit more than Joe did as mine was a little more than $60 delivered to the States but a bargain at pretty much any cost. I found a good deal at Best Buy on the Insignia Blu-ray player that can playback out of region DVDs and BDs... Box set and player together I'm in for about $140. So im looking forward to all the Laurel & Hardy I can watch ! Lee 

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
For what it's worth, almost immediately after I ordered my set from AmazonUK, the set seemed to be no longer in stock. I'm thinking I got one of the very last ones by the skin of my teeth, along with other fans online who were ordering and taking advantage of the $38 steal.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
After watching the 24 hour L & H Marathon on TCM, I decided to go the region free route, too. I found a Pioneer region free model for $117.75 and ordered the UK L & H set for $39.41 including shipping. I was stunned to see the price on this set so low and just did not want to pass it up.

I have heard a lot about PAL issues and have stayed away from it all these years. Whether this will be a problem for me, I don't know. But, I am tired of waiting for a region 1 release of L & H and this seems to be the best alternative available.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I dread the PAL speedup myself. I have already acquired a R2 disc of HOUSE OF DRACULA (because I wanted a backup to my R1 which was issued on those crummy DVD-18s), and I did notice the PAL speedup.Knowing the movie as well as I do, I could easily see and hear the slight change. I don't care for that, but at this point with Laurel & Hardy I am also just done waiting for a US compilation.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
When it comes to watching in PAL format, I do not know what to expect. This L & H set will be my first experience with it. I just hope there is nothing in the audio and/or video that becomes so distracting that I cannot avoid noticing it. I watch DBS TV all the time with logos superimposed on the screen and I am usually able to not be driven to distraction. I still notice them though, and wish they weren't there.

At any rate, I am looking forward to viewing the L & H set and hoping for the best.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
There tends to be a lot of scaremongering crap written about PAL. At the end of the day it means the material runs 4% faster, and that's very slight however you look at it. Some people tend to be more sensitive than others but most won't find it a major distraction. I grew up and became accustomed to PAL yet I also own a significant number of NTSC DVDs. Consequently, one would expect that I would notice the apparent "slowdown" on NTSC discs. However, that's not the case; I know the difference exists but it's not something that I notice at all. Just enjoy your purchase guys and stop worrying about things you may never even be aware of.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks