1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Laura" Blu-ray Release on February 5th!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Crawford, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal Well-Known Member

Koroush Ghazi
    I'm not seeing any complaints about the audio in user reviews on Amazon, nor in other professional reviews. I can understand that it may not be perfect, but I don't think the audio flutter is the reason it's been pulled by Amazon.

2. jsteed

jsteed Member

I have watched the sequence in question, and didn't notice any audio flutter either.

3. Trentrunner

Trentrunner Well-Known Member

There's nothing erroneous about the cover. Dana Andrews and Gene Tierney are the stars of the movie. Just because Tierney is retouched near to bland oblivion does not turn her into Deanna Durbin or Linda Darnell. And it's certainly no reason for Amazon to pull it. Gotta be some other reason.

4. TravisR

TravisR Well-Known Member

^ Maybe Fox's copy protection is causing problems on some players? If Amazon keeps getting reports of problems, they'd pull the disc.

5. haineshisway

haineshisway Well-Known Member

Bruce
    There is definitely wow in the music track. Flutter is something else.

6. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Well-Known Member

Reed Grele
    Amazon pulled it.

7. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?

Tony D.
    Somebody mentioned that a couple posts back. I'm hoping that I can get to a Sam's to snag one for under $10 as someone else also mentioned earlier.

8. Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal Well-Known Member

Koroush Ghazi
    Somebody on another forum has this to say about the possible reason for Laura being pulled from Amazon:
    Anybody here able to confirm this? It's a complete non-issue for me, as I rarely watch extras, and never with subtitles anyway. Still, I can understand that it would affect some people, and if it is the reason why Amazon has ceased sale, at least it's more substantive than problems with cover art.

9. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Well-Known Member

After watching the extended version, I watched just the deleted scene w/ the commentary. I only heard Behlmer say one or two sentences, then silence. Is this another glitch, or is that all he said about this scene? I hadn't watched the movie since I got the DVD several years ago. The deleted scene didn't seem new, so I assume the DVD was the extended cut, too. Am I right?

10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Actually the deleted scene is rather short so a couple of sentences as to why it was deleted should have suffice.
    Yes, it was on the DVD.

11. Escapay

Escapay Well-Known Member

Albert Gutierrez
    I've always wondered why the deleted scene on the DVD has such an abrupt beginning to Behlmer's commentary (which is more an audio introduction into what was actually deleted), and it wasn't until the Blu-Ray came out that I was able to hear the commentary in full. The DVD actually omitted a few seconds from the beginning of the scene, which is where Behlmer's commentary was. The Blu-Ray restores those few seconds, and also adds about a minute more of the scene, even though by then, it's no longer any deleted material. On the DVD: -do described how he selected Laura's clothing and hairstyle, making her an extension of himself. The news item explains that 20th Century Fox was worried that declaration would offend World War II soldiers overseas with its depiction of decadent luxury and non-military obsessions happening on the home front. On the Blu-Ray: A June 9th, 1990 Hollywood Reporter news item reported that two minutes of footage that had been cut from the film was restored. Waldo described how he selected Laura's clothing and hairstyle, making her an extension of himself. The news item explains that 20th Century Fox was worried that declaration would offend World War II soldiers overseas with its depiction of decadent luxury and non-military obsessions happening on the home front. Strangely, when you listen to the Basinger/Raksin commentary during that scene (in the theatrical version of the film), she's actually making commentary about the deleted scene as if she were watching it. I never understood why Fox didn't allow that commentary to be included on the deleted scene as well... Waldo now tells how he shaped Laura's career. We see Laura grow. (Raksin: He's talking about Laura, of course. So the music is playing the tune, and it's supposed to add a little glamour.) This material was cut from the original release. In it, we see how absolutely important Waldo was in shaping Laura's grooming, her clothes, the people she meets, et cetera. Gene Tierney is exquisitely beautiful in this montage. We see Laura beginning to dress in a more sophisticated way. We return to Waldo to remind ourselves that he is the person telling us about Laura and shaping our image of her. But Zanuck felt this was too much of a fashion parade and that it deterred the storytelling process.

12. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Like clock-work, the naysayers of this BD have come out to voice their issues.
    Crawdaddy

13. larryKR

larryKR Well-Known Member

Well I can certainly say that this BD didn't look beautiful on my display (60" pany plasma). Parts of the movie look decent and then there is poor contrast in other parts. It is what it is, and this is the best we will ever get.

14. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Thankfully, my viewing experience isn't like yours.
    Crawdaddy

15. Lromero1396

Lromero1396 Well-Known Member

I seriously hope Fox hasn't pulled the release like they did with the Titanic (1953) BD last year.

16. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Well-Known Member

Will
    Isn't that the pont?
    As much as I love having this on blu-ray I GET the reservations many people have about calling the disc stellar. It's directly related to the elements themselves, specifically the dupey sections coming into and out of dissolves and opticals. Unlike most black and white films of the era (that jump mid shot into dupe sections right before an optical effect and then right back out again) this one, for some reason, uses the Technicolor standard of having duped sections from one "clean cut" to the next. Couple that with the fact that Preminger favors quite long takes with maximum camera mobility and that's a lot of duped material which is noticeably (and perhaps irretrievably) of a lesser quality. Sometimes the disc looks positively stunning, sometimes it looks very good, sometimes it looks just okay and on SOME occasions (the first outdoor shots of Laura's apartment house, Waldo and MacPherson walking into Ann Treadwell's apartment, and the moments immediately following MacPherson slugging Shelby come to mind) it's downright awful, with contrast levels that are baked beyond all recognition and ALL part of duped sections revolving around optical effects.
    I understand WHY it looks the way it does which is why the fact that it isn't "perfect" doesn't really bother me, but I can't pretend it's exquisite just to please you (though I wish I could )

17. Robert Crawford

Robert
    My point is there is hasn't been any BD released that's been without some PQ complaints from somebody. Nothing to get excited about, just noted the prediction I made before complaints about too much brightness being an issue.
    Crawdaddy

18. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Well-Known Member

Keith Cobby
    I have the DVD which I think is pretty good and find I am hesitating following the comments on here. My benchmarks for b&w picture quality are Casablanca and The Big Heat. Fox (and us) need this to be a good seller if others we want are to follow.

19. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    Did anyone confirm why this was pulled from availability by Amazon, citing problems?

20. David Weicker

David Weicker Well-Known Member

David
    Laura is back up for sale on Amazon. Currently listed at $16.79