What's new

"Laura" Blu-ray Release on February 5th! (1 Viewer)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by haineshisway
"Appearing" overly bright - on the Beaver's site. Why do people keep playing this game?
Because we're afraid you won't find another reason to be snarky and superior and we CAN'T RISK IT

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Will Krupp said:
Because we're afraid you won't find another reason to be snarky and superior and we CAN'T RISK IT
Now, now, don't play THAT game, too. You will not be able to point out one word of snark in my posts. And why is it "superior" to point out that the Beaver's caps are a joke? I should think that's useful information and might stop this silly jumping to conclusions without seeing the actual disk. Sorry if you think that's snark and superior - I think it needs to be said as many times as possible. And methinks you should look to your own post for a perfect example of snark.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
ahollis said:
A huge favorite of mine also.  No question that LAURA will come home, , ,with me,  I am not a fan of screen caps for I am purchasing a moving picture, not a still picture and there are just too many outside influences on the caps also.  At least that is my opinion. . 
I agree. Of course, being in agreement I'll immediately be accused of "snark" and being "superior" by those whose posts are - now wait a second - snarky and superior. What's wrong with this picture? :) I cannot wait for Laura to arrive next week and I'm happy to also give a little head's up that a brand new CD release of its soundtrack will also appear with it, in the next week or so - complete, from first generation sources.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I very much hope that Laura is a wonderful, state-of-the art Blu-ray disc but I'm keeping an open mind until I see it. I have a few dazzling BRDs of 4 X 3 black and white films - Casablanca, The Big Heat, Double Indemnity - so I know absolutely that old black and white movies can look fantastic in high definition. However I also have some BRDs from Fox of old black and white films and these discs are nothing special. They're not bad but they sure as hell are not state of the art. I'm thinking of Twelve O'Clock High and Miracle on 34th Street. The DVD of Laura suggests that the elements need a lot of work to be ready for high definition. I'm hopeful but I'm cautious too.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
haineshisway said:
I agree. Of course, being in agreement I'll immediately be accused of "snark" and being "superior" by those whose posts are - now wait a second - snarky and superior. What's wrong with this picture? :) I cannot wait for Laura to arrive next week and I'm happy to also give a little head's up that a brand new CD release of its soundtrack will also appear with it, in the next week or so - complete, from first generation sources.
Please can you tell us where to buy the sound track and when?? I love this movie and have even years ago had the old 78 record I ordered as a kid. My Moms LP unit bought in the late 60s used to play 78s. I then bought the exact copy on CD with Forever Amber and of course the Fox sound track years later which does not have the piano playing in the back ground when Mark walks about Lauras apartment. I have the movie ordered for same day service from Amazon. I have loved this movie since the first day I saw it on the Late Late Show. I have even a book just on the film itself. The book looks at the novel the movie and how it became a cult classic. Great book which came out in the 80s I believe.

haineshisway said:
Apparently you haven't learned the lesson yet: Don't look at screen caps anywhere, let alone the Beaver's site - none of his caps resemble at all what's actually on the disc (this is well known everywhere) and especially comparing them to the previous vide caps he has up). I'm sure Fox has done a good job with this title and I'm sure it will look wonderful on Blu-ray. And I cannot imagine you cannot see the huge leap in quality from a 4.3 Black-and-white DVD to a well-done Blu-ray transfer. Really.
I see the difference, but it just doesn't matter to me as much as with color Cinemascope films......

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Mark Collins said:
Please can you tell us where to buy the sound track and when?? I love this movie and have even years ago had the old 78 record I ordered as a kid. My Moms LP unit bought in the late 60s used to play 78s. I then bought the exact copy on CD with Forever Amber and of course the Fox sound track years later which does not have the piano playing in the back ground when Mark walks about Lauras apartment. I have the movie ordered for same day service from Amazon. I have loved this movie since the first day I saw it on the Late Late Show. I have even a book just on the film itself. The book looks at the novel the movie and how it became a cult classic. Great book which came out in the 80s I believe.
We'll be announcing it in a week or so at www.kritzerland.com. It's a limited edition and I think it's going to sell very well - I'll come back to this thread and let everyone know as soon as it's available for preorder.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Martin Zandstra
I see the difference, but it just doesn't matter to me as much as with color Cinemascope films......
Your comment kind of reminds me of a friend of mine, who refuses to view black and white films because they're not in color and he doesn't see any benefit in watching them.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hey Bruce, Thanks a bunch!! I am sure it will be a sell out. I hate when a good title is put out and some people buy up tons of the release and sell them at on ebay or some place else. I have waited for a good Laura sound track for years. I sure hope I can buy one.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Mark Collins said:
Hey Bruce, Thanks a bunch!! I am sure it will be a sell out. I hate when a good title is put out and some people buy up tons of the release and sell them at on ebay or some place else. I have waited for a good Laura sound track for years. I sure hope I can buy one.
That doesn't really happen much anymore with Golden Age soundtrack releases - the speculators got burned one too many times, I think.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Here is the book that I bought in the 90s on Laura. http://www.amazon.com/Laura-As-Novel-Film-Myth/dp/0773495061/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359836635&sr=1-1&keywords=laura+as+novel+film+and+myth Great book if you can get it cheap. The book tells of the scenes cut from the movie. Vincent Price singing. I would love to have seen that. I have a picture of it plus I guess there are other pictures of these scenes which are also in the book

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Mark Collins said:
Vincent Price singing. I would love to have seen that.
As a singer he made the cut in Disney's GREAT MOUSE DETECTIVE - if you haven't seen (heard) it, he acquitted himself quite well, I thought.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Mark Collins said:
As promised, we just announced the release of the complete and classic score to Laura - first time complete on CD from first generation materials - one of the greatest scores and movie themes ever - composed by David Raksin. Just 1000 copies so order soon :) www.kritzerland.com

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
haineshisway said:
As promised, we just announced the release of the complete and classic score to Laura - first time complete on CD from first generation materials - one of the greatest scores and movie themes ever - composed by David Raksin. Just 1000 copies so order soon :) www.kritzerland.com
Are you also doing a CD of George Duning's music?

moviepas

Supporting Actor
David Raksin.
The same David Raksin along with Conrad Salinger who got the orchestration firing off a mid-1930s Rodgers & Hart Broadway show and took off for the West Coast & steady work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks