What's new

Last Comic Standing 2004 ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Wow, I continue to watch, because I'm an idiot... Dan was so gipped, and I was shocked to see NBC try to put in the bit with Drew Carey and Brett Butler getting upset and try to flip it around. What a ballsy and audacious move. I definitely think that Ant and Bonnie don't belong in the house, but clearly NBC wants more conflict than comedy. I'm curious, but can someone tell me when did the Indian comic and the political comic who did the president rainman bit get cut? I thought they advanced in the second episode.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
The Indian guy didn't advance to Vegas. I thought he was very funny, but I think telling the same joke about his dad being afraid cost him.

~T

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
In case any of you are reading the Dave Mordal commentaries at NBC's site, you might want to know that what you read was probably a censored version. NBC cut out the first two parts of the original commentary a day or so after it was originally posted to the site. Here is the Mordal commentary in it's unedited form. All of the bolded parts are what NBC cut out of Dave's commentary...

http://www.nbc.com/nbc/Last_Comic_St...y/week01.shtml

You know what, I have a feeling that the producers of the show put Ant into the house for political reasons or they didn't want to get angry calls from gay people. Sure, might be a far-fetched idea, but it possibly could be. All I know is that if Ant wins this thing, then I will lose all respect for the public.

Brian_H

Stunt Coordinator
I'd agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that, if there were angry people that though Ant was discriminated against, NBC would have an easy response that would basically shut up all but the most rabid protesters...

Ant did not make it to the house last year, and is using almost the exact same material this year. He also uses the same act every show with very little variation, and, according to all accounts, he bombed in Vegas.

With the talk about there being 2 casting calls in each city, one open and another with comics NBC had seen tapes of and invited, I'd be interested to see which group Ant falls into.

I definitely think Ant was put in the house for a reason, but I think that reason is more along the lines of stirring up different situations in the house rather than NBC worrying about hate mail.

todd s

Senior HTF Member

I lost all respect for the public when Dat won last year over Ralphie, Rich and Dave.

But, who knows it was probably fixed from the beginning.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Waitaminute -- Ant is gay?

Ant's act may have been funny -- before Will & Grace, let's say -- but when every punchline is, "I'm gay!", it gets old really quick.

Tammy Hatchetface has the same basic act -- "Hey, I'm Sicilian". Same story -- not funny.

I laughed the first time at Todd Glass, but then he stopped being funny and just became grating. His LV set was unfunny.

In my perfect world, they would be replaced by Dan Naturman, Dan Adhoot, and Monty.

The rest I have no beef with. Of the housemates, the funniest are Bonnie, Gary, and John.

Y'know, the way they showed the "controversy" and used it to promote the show, it seemed like one big publicity stunt.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see someone (if only another comic) point out Jimmy Wiggins. I wanted him in the house, though I'm not sure his Vegas set deserved it. He's just funny to me. No matter, though. I'll do just what Dave suggested and go see him when he hits town.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see someone (if only another comic) point out Jimmy Wiggins. I wanted him in the house, though I'm not sure his Vegas set deserved it. He's just funny to me. No matter, though. I'll do just what Dave suggested and go see him when he hits town.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
And out goes Bonnie by a whopping 94% vote.

It is a shame it went down like that as I would have liked to see one of the other comics go but glad that the one that won...well won. :D

I'm starting to like Corey's stuff as well. I used to like Todd, but man he is just getting on my nerves. Enough already with the annoying spazz stuff. The house stuff is pretty boring so far. No Vos and Mordal bathing. No Dat doing kung fu outside, or playing hide n' seek inside. Hopefully someone will come up with some good stuff to keep us entertained. I mean, they are comics after all...

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
And out goes Bonnie by a whopping 94% vote.

It is a shame it went down like that as I would have liked to see one of the other comics go but glad that the one that won...well won. :D

I'm starting to like Corey's stuff as well. I used to like Todd, but man he is just getting on my nerves. Enough already with the annoying spazz stuff. The house stuff is pretty boring so far. No Vos and Mordal bathing. No Dat doing kung fu outside, or playing hide n' seek inside. Hopefully someone will come up with some good stuff to keep us entertained. I mean, they are comics after all...

DavidGT

Stunt Coordinator
Why oh why Bonnie...if you're reading this did you pick John Effron to go up against? The guy is too good.
All you had to do was pick Ant or that long hair guy and you would still be in the house.

DavidGT

Stunt Coordinator
Why oh why Bonnie...if you're reading this did you pick John Effron to go up against? The guy is too good.
All you had to do was pick Ant or that long hair guy and you would still be in the house.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Nah, I don't think Bonnie could have beaten Jay London. Ant and Tammy are the only two she had a chance against, as she herself said. It was stupid to challenge a comic who is at least her equal (and, as I predicted after the challenge, blew her out of the water). Bonnie's mellow little clever lines are no competition to Effron's manic, lightning-speed likeable humor. Bonnie's schtick is based solely on material, while Effron highlights both material and delivery in his performance. In order to compete, Bonnie's material had to have been amazingly good, and it just wasn't.

She was right about how Tammy took everything too hard. Granted, I'm sure NBC edited things in a certain way, but her whole "going to war" thing was childish- and way to knock down those Sicilian stereotypes, darling. :rolleyes

She and Ant are on my wish-list to get kicked out.

Speaking of Ant, if I didn't dislike him before simply because his act is tired, I now also don't like him as a contestant. His oppressive "strategising" and BS consipracies- ugh. And what does he have against Todd Glass? Ok, he's a little annoying, but so is Ant.

I chuckled when he called Cory "the most homophobic man" he's "ever met." He should consider himself fortunate that he's lived such a sheltered life.

I very much enjoyed the laundromat bit. Cory isn't the funniest comic there, but like Tess, has a lot going for him with his personality. He and Jay London (surprisingly) were really the only two that went with scenario. Cory seemed to have completely improved it, and the bit about men being with the women who have their own laundry machines was cute.

My projections:

- Ant: I have a feeling he won't get challenged and will coast through the competition.

- Cory: Will win one or two more contests to keep him alive for a while

- Effron: safe- the other comics would be stupid to challenge someone who can win over a crowd so easily

- Todd Glass: He will be challenged for sure. Some of the comics can beat him, while some can't. I think he has a lot of material, so he can surprise them. He's the most "up in the air."

- Gary (the tall guy, not sure if that's his name): everyone likes him and he stays out of everyone's way. Should be safe for a while. If challenged, can be beaten.

- Kathleen Madagin: wise-ass, potential to create tension in the house, avoided this week 'cause she went to Aspen with Cory. Whether she can be beaten depends on the audience- I would think an East Coast audience would like her a lot more, so she is at a disadvantage in LA.

- Tammy: easily beatable. If I were in the house, she's be the one I go after. Also, I just plain don't like her.

- Alanzo (? also not sure of name): Very good comic, tough to beat, and so far not causing trouble, but I could see that changing as he starts to bother with Ant's conspiracy nonsense. They are the two most desperate to win.

- Jay London- the dark horse and the guy I'm rooting for, just because he's so weird. He's just this lump that sits there. I still crack up everytime he delivers his "thank you." His comedy on any given night would either bomb horribly or succeed beyond imagination, because in the right mood he can induce unstoppable guilty giggles.

People I'm rooting for: London, Cory, Alanzo, Effron
People I'm rooting against: Tammy, Ant
People I don't particularly care about: Madagin, Glass, Gary

And I'm glad Bonnie was eliminated as she wasn't particularly funny.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Nah, I don't think Bonnie could have beaten Jay London. Ant and Tammy are the only two she had a chance against, as she herself said. It was stupid to challenge a comic who is at least her equal (and, as I predicted after the challenge, blew her out of the water). Bonnie's mellow little clever lines are no competition to Effron's manic, lightning-speed likeable humor. Bonnie's schtick is based solely on material, while Effron highlights both material and delivery in his performance. In order to compete, Bonnie's material had to have been amazingly good, and it just wasn't.

She was right about how Tammy took everything too hard. Granted, I'm sure NBC edited things in a certain way, but her whole "going to war" thing was childish- and way to knock down those Sicilian stereotypes, darling. :rolleyes

She and Ant are on my wish-list to get kicked out.

Speaking of Ant, if I didn't dislike him before simply because his act is tired, I now also don't like him as a contestant. His oppressive "strategising" and BS consipracies- ugh. And what does he have against Todd Glass? Ok, he's a little annoying, but so is Ant.

I chuckled when he called Cory "the most homophobic man" he's "ever met." He should consider himself fortunate that he's lived such a sheltered life.

I very much enjoyed the laundromat bit. Cory isn't the funniest comic there, but like Tess, has a lot going for him with his personality. He and Jay London (surprisingly) were really the only two that went with scenario. Cory seemed to have completely improved it, and the bit about men being with the women who have their own laundry machines was cute.

My projections:

- Ant: I have a feeling he won't get challenged and will coast through the competition.

- Cory: Will win one or two more contests to keep him alive for a while

- Effron: safe- the other comics would be stupid to challenge someone who can win over a crowd so easily

- Todd Glass: He will be challenged for sure. Some of the comics can beat him, while some can't. I think he has a lot of material, so he can surprise them. He's the most "up in the air."

- Gary (the tall guy, not sure if that's his name): everyone likes him and he stays out of everyone's way. Should be safe for a while. If challenged, can be beaten.

- Kathleen Madagin: wise-ass, potential to create tension in the house, avoided this week 'cause she went to Aspen with Cory. Whether she can be beaten depends on the audience- I would think an East Coast audience would like her a lot more, so she is at a disadvantage in LA.

- Tammy: easily beatable. If I were in the house, she's be the one I go after. Also, I just plain don't like her.

- Alanzo (? also not sure of name): Very good comic, tough to beat, and so far not causing trouble, but I could see that changing as he starts to bother with Ant's conspiracy nonsense. They are the two most desperate to win.

- Jay London- the dark horse and the guy I'm rooting for, just because he's so weird. He's just this lump that sits there. I still crack up everytime he delivers his "thank you." His comedy on any given night would either bomb horribly or succeed beyond imagination, because in the right mood he can induce unstoppable guilty giggles.

People I'm rooting for: London, Cory, Alanzo, Effron
People I'm rooting against: Tammy, Ant
People I don't particularly care about: Madagin, Glass, Gary

And I'm glad Bonnie was eliminated as she wasn't particularly funny.

Brian_H

Stunt Coordinator
Bonnie deserved to go for the simple fact that she let a little shot to her pride and emotions become the deciding factor in who she challenged. I agree with her though, she is easily funnier than both Ant and Tammy.

Cory is quick, and that will get him far in the challenges. He adapted to the situation in the laundromat like he knew in advance that that's what he'd be doing.

The fact that Ant's routine in the laundromat consisted of the same "Can you guess my accent" bit just goes to show that he's just not that funny. He may have a decent routine or two, but that doesn't make him a good comic. He's different from the type of comic that I consider to be good. Someone like Rich Vos from last season. My sister-in-law saw Vos a while ago. It was supposed to be a two hour show. She said that 2 hours and 15 minutes after he took the stage, he looked at his watch and said that he hadn't even started his act yet. He spent all that time talking with the audience, making comments, etc. She said he was hillarious.

The problem is that none of these people that see these shows and vote on the winner will have seen Ant perform before, while we're all sitting there watching and saying "Not again". That could cause a comic that's legitimately funnier than him (everyone else in the house, IMO) to go home depending on the mood of the audience. That's the one major problem I have with this competition (besides the rigging that NBC applies early in the season). I don't know how this could be done any differently though.

It does look like things in the house are gonna heat up though. Last year was funny, with the somewhat mean spirited stuff feeling like little jokes in the house that we were let in on. This year looks like it'll be different though. I think there are gonna be quite a few times when people just blow up at each other and, in the end, people that appear to be accepting it as part of the fun (Todd, Cory, Kathleen, etc) will come out looking better than people that are so uptight (Ant, Tammy).

Brian_H

Stunt Coordinator
Bonnie deserved to go for the simple fact that she let a little shot to her pride and emotions become the deciding factor in who she challenged. I agree with her though, she is easily funnier than both Ant and Tammy.

Cory is quick, and that will get him far in the challenges. He adapted to the situation in the laundromat like he knew in advance that that's what he'd be doing.

The fact that Ant's routine in the laundromat consisted of the same "Can you guess my accent" bit just goes to show that he's just not that funny. He may have a decent routine or two, but that doesn't make him a good comic. He's different from the type of comic that I consider to be good. Someone like Rich Vos from last season. My sister-in-law saw Vos a while ago. It was supposed to be a two hour show. She said that 2 hours and 15 minutes after he took the stage, he looked at his watch and said that he hadn't even started his act yet. He spent all that time talking with the audience, making comments, etc. She said he was hillarious.

The problem is that none of these people that see these shows and vote on the winner will have seen Ant perform before, while we're all sitting there watching and saying "Not again". That could cause a comic that's legitimately funnier than him (everyone else in the house, IMO) to go home depending on the mood of the audience. That's the one major problem I have with this competition (besides the rigging that NBC applies early in the season). I don't know how this could be done any differently though.

It does look like things in the house are gonna heat up though. Last year was funny, with the somewhat mean spirited stuff feeling like little jokes in the house that we were let in on. This year looks like it'll be different though. I think there are gonna be quite a few times when people just blow up at each other and, in the end, people that appear to be accepting it as part of the fun (Todd, Cory, Kathleen, etc) will come out looking better than people that are so uptight (Ant, Tammy).

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Had Bonnie picked any of the others that had voted against her, except the older woman, she would have won. I even think her friends who had voted against her thought she would pick the Godmother to go up against! (Don't feel too sorry for Bonnie, she regularly appears on Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn).

I'm sick of Ant. He's all over VH1 and Comedy Central all the time.

Any of these comics could probably put together a good half hour for Comedy Central, but how many actually have a shot at an NBC pilot? Right now I'd have to pick Gary the Tall guy.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Had Bonnie picked any of the others that had voted against her, except the older woman, she would have won. I even think her friends who had voted against her thought she would pick the Godmother to go up against! (Don't feel too sorry for Bonnie, she regularly appears on Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn).

I'm sick of Ant. He's all over VH1 and Comedy Central all the time.

Any of these comics could probably put together a good half hour for Comedy Central, but how many actually have a shot at an NBC pilot? Right now I'd have to pick Gary the Tall guy.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of NBC pilot, what happened to Dat Phan's pilot? I never saw anything. I did see his (boring) special on comedy central.

Too bad this house didn't have Mitch Hedberg in there. I would love to see him and Jay London go at it. Hell through in Stephen Write to referee. :laugh:

Cool story. Vos was one of my favorites from last year. Even if his jokes aren't all killer, he still makes me chuckle which is mostly do to his personality than anything.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of NBC pilot, what happened to Dat Phan's pilot? I never saw anything. I did see his (boring) special on comedy central.

Too bad this house didn't have Mitch Hedberg in there. I would love to see him and Jay London go at it. Hell through in Stephen Write to referee. :laugh:

Cool story. Vos was one of my favorites from last year. Even if his jokes aren't all killer, he still makes me chuckle which is mostly do to his personality than anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks