What's new

Lassie deserves season sets (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I just bought the 3 disc Lassie anniversary dvd set. I love it. These episodes are so great I could watch 10 at a time.
My suggestion: Sony(classic Media) release 3 seasons a year. That's one season every 4 months. In just about six years we could own the entire run of this great show.
Anyone else waiting for this show on dvd?

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but it would never happen. Look at Flipper. Season 1 was released and there has yet to be any word on the release for Season 2.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Yes, I'd at least like the "Jeff" years (first three and a half seasons). But I agree it's very unlikely to happen. :frowning:

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
I too would like to see Lassie season sets - especially the early years as I remember watching them.
I would also like to see Flipper seasons 2 and 3.
And all the seasons of Daktari released too.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Add me to the list that would like to see this show released in season sets. I am afraid, unfortunately, that there just isn't a big enough demand for this long lost classic. It's not been on TV in quite some time, so I imagine there's just not enough new fans to make this one work. But boy would I love to see it happen.

Gary "I'd buy everything up through the Ranger years - pretty much all of it" O.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Also, look at the last season of the Hardy Boys (& Nancy Drew Mysteries) which has yet to be released as well.

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen

Acutally it was on Discovery Kids and Animal Planet up until early this year, however they ran at odd hours (like 4AM). The Lassie catalog has been through so many hands in the last 20 years that it seems like no one cares. Also the color prints I've seen are in terrible condition and would need major restoration. All the episodes (both B&W and color) were time compressed and cut. I would doubt anyone would want to restore all 20 years for a DVD release that won't do big numbers.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Yes, I picked up a few Christmas episodes when it ran on those channels a couple of years ago. But as you said, it was the middle of the night and it seemed to me they were running a very limited amount of episodes over and over. Nothing close to chronological. And the prints were very rough, as you said. We certainly agree that it's a long shot for any company to remaster a long running series that probably doesn't have much of an audience at this point.

Gary "sad, but true" O.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Apparently they are putting out box sets of the show in Germany, up to four now. No idea if these have the English audio on them or not but I'm sure they have more episodes out than the one release we had here years ago.

Lutz Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lutz
There have been five box sets so far. Sadly, no English audio on any of them or I would have bought them long ago. This is quite surprising considering that these sets were produced by Koch Media (no relation) who otherwise have a good record of releasing programs with their original audio intact.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
RTV has been playing the "Jeff" years for a little while now on Saturday's (2 at a time) at 11 am, for those that get RTV. While not exactly played in order thay are broadcasting about 90% of each season so far. I've been capturing them along the way and watching with my kids. In a few weeks they will be getting to season 4, which should take between 2 and 3 months to get through to the transistion to Timmy. Then I imagine they will go back to the beginning (I missed the first three episodes), or possibly could continue with Timmy going forward. They are coming in at a solid 25 minutes per episode after removing commercials so they seem fairly complete. The transition to commercials can be a bit abrupt at times so there is probably minor cutting there but nothing major. The quality has been decent but we only watch them on a 32" set anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks