What's new

Las Vegas S2 - Production Problems? (1 Viewer)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I had some severe issues playing episode 19 on the season 2 DVD set. The disc skipped and locked up on 5 players I tried; the disc was clean.

I know it just came out today, but I was wondering if anyone else has issue with the set. I had some minor skipping on episodes 11 and 18 as well (and just on the Sony). I've returned the messed set to Universal so they can check it out.

Gord

ThomasMon

Stunt Coordinator
I will check mine out tonight for you and get back to you by morning.

I was wondering, are the episodes longer then the original airing episodes like in season 1?

Mike Selis

Grip
I can confirm this problem at about 10:30-11:00 into The 19th episode. It was so bad that I could not stop the disc, go to menu, or switch discs out. I had to actually unplug the dvd player to get it to reset... The second time around, it would not load up the video and froze at :19 into the Universal startup logo when then dvd first loads.

Third time, pixelate at 10:38, for three seconds, and then at 10:45 it froze video and audio until 11:21, went back on for 2 seconds, and stopped at 11:21. Video returned after 15 seconds, but the run time did not catch up. After about a minute, run time caught back up...

I will give it another try after watching the rest of the episode, and if it continues I will exchange.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I just checked episode 19 on disc 3 of my season 2 set and I'm having problems as well. The first time through, at about 4:28 into the episode, it pixelated and then jumped forward to about 23 minutes into the episode. The second time through it pixelated at 4:28 and then stumbled to about 4:31 where it froze completely. I was able to hit stop both times and exit from the defective part of the disc. I am using a Panasonic DVD-F87K player that is just over a year old.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like the same problem that BVHE had with the Criterion version of "The Rock". Give their CS a call and hope that you're not routed to Bangladesh.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Has there been any word from Universal yet about how widespread this problem is? I really want to get my defective disc exchanged but if the rest of the copies at Best Buy are bad, I don't see much of a point in doing so yet.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
No Todd, there isn't. They seem to have a few problems like this on every release, but there never seems to be a specific place on the set. Right now episode 19 looks like an issue, but is it a problem for everyone, or just a few? I don't know. They grabbed a set and checked it out and didn't have a problem, which is why I shipped my set back to them.

Gord

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
This is the first Universal DVD set that I have had problems with so far (well... that I know of anyway) and I have quite a few of them now. I guess I can try exchanging this one and see if I have better luck with the next one.

ThomasMon

Stunt Coordinator
If One Nation, Under Surveillance is episode 19, as I think it is. I had no problem with it. I didn't sit and watch it but had it on in the background and it played through the entire episode.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I believe that was the name of the episode. It's the third episode on side A of disc 3. Mine gets hung up right after the opening credit sequence.

Mike Selis

Grip
To determine if a common factor exists, where did everybody buy them at? I bought mine at Best Buy since they had the lowest price.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I bought mine at Best Buy in Rancho Cucamonga, CA.

Edit: I just tried to watch that episide on my PC's DVD-ROM drive using PowerDVD and it freezes up on episode 19 as soon as the Universal logo pops up onscreen. PowerDVD froze up and had to be shut down. The drive was making one hell of a lot of noise too until I was finally able to close PowerDVD.

Jim_E

Stunt Coordinator
Same on my copy - the episode in question jumps to chapter 2 and freezes up if I try to rewind and watch anything before that. Great when you live in England and will now have to get a replacement from the US!

Universal will probably just say they were rushing the product to market and that's why it's defective. Wonder if they'll give me a job in quality control if I promise to be bad at it?

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I emailed Universal using their online customer service form on Tuesday night and received a response today.

I just sent them the information they were looking for a few minutes ago. I'm going to try exchanging the set this evening and see if I have better luck with another one.

Mike Selis

Grip
I am going to watch the entire set as Best Buy gives me 30 days to return or exchange. I might as well see everything to double check to see if there are any other problems, and how often the problems are repeated.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I just checked out the new set that I exchanged the original one for. Once the main menu came up on side A of disc 3, I selected "Episode Index" and the disc completely froze up. I had to shut my DVD player off to unfreeze it. I tried a second time and the disc went to the episode index. I selected One Nation, Under Surveillance and watched it. On this disc the episde played just fine. The menu freezing up the first time through still has me worried though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks