1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Large Format Digital Printing

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Buzz Foster, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Buzz Foster

Buzz Foster Well-Known Member

I took some amazing timed exposure digital pictures in Carlsbad Caverns, and want to print at least one to poster size. I've been looking online, and one of the best deals I found was Costco, who will print 20x30 posters for $8.

I don't need breathtaking quality, and the camera is only 6 megapixels, but I would like it to be accurate to the image I took.. I will probably build an inexpensive frame for the poster, myself.

Is this the best deal, or is Costco's poster printing to be avoided?

2. Don Solosan

Don Solosan Well-Known Member

A friend of mine printed up a poster I designed through Costco, and the quality is very good. However, my design was a montage of LA movie theater marquees, not a single shot blown up. If you've got the resolution, I'd say go for it.

3. Buzz Foster

Cool. I have heard about some sort of fractal plugin for Photoshop that allows really good enlargements without pixelization. Do you think something like that would be worth persuing as well? I am increasing the size of my image about four times in order to do this print.

4. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    For the price (so cheap) I would get one each at costco, mpix and whcc.com and see if you can live with the costco quality or if the services that a custom lab like whcc bring to the table are worth paying to have all yours done up that size.

5. Don Solosan

Don Solosan Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with the Photoshop plugin you mentioned, so I can't help you there.

6. Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs Well-Known Member

I use "Genuine Fractals." It's interesting software, and I look forward to the day when it could be applied to real time video.

Anyways, you shouldn't need that for your poster. 6MP will do fine. I could enlarge it for you though if you'd like to see what you'd get.

7. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    My experience has been: let the lab you are using do your upconversion for you.

8. Buzz Foster

I upped it in Corel Photo Paint and uploaded it to the Costco system. It will be ready today by one, so it is a $9 experiment that will soon be concluded.

Zack, I may take you up on that if this doesn't work, or possibly for a future attempt. If I like the poster, I plan to print more for family members, so a second version using Genuine Fractals would be a great comparison.

9. Buzz Foster

The printed result looked great. I strive for accuracy in color reproduction from my monitors on down, so it looked basically the same as on my screen.

I still want to go back for more photos, but so far I am happy. Thanks, guys!