What's new

landlord-tennant issues (1 Viewer)

Robert Vaclav

Auditioning
"NO-I'm sorry, you cannot mount your dish, as stated, no alterations to the building.."
furious.gif
Isn't there a law or statute which exists stating rights of tenants in these matters? If so, where can I find it?
confused.gif
90 days is running out soon with no response from FCC, or other govt. agencies.
"Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope."
Thanks in advance,
Robert

Neal_C

Second Unit
Robert,
I just went through this myself but luckily I am moving to a house, so now I don't have to worry. The law is this: you can mount a dish anywhere that is on the property you pay for such as your balcony. The FCC says that the apartment complex has the right to say no to you using common areas, ie outside walls, the roof, on a tripod outside in the grass. But, when I posted my problem on another forum, I was told that if you don't have a place to put a dish on property you pay for, the apt. complex cannot deny you a way to get a signal. I was informed that the threat of a court hearing on the matter would probably persaude them.
I was very close to threatening the court hearing when we found a house. My apt complex actually flat out lied to me, they said that the FCC would not allow them to allow tenants to put dishes on outside walls or the roof. I came back with, well, there are plenty of apt. complexes around here with dishes on the roof and outside grass area. They said, they are in violation of FCC law and we will not do that.
So because of that little convo, I had a good case to threaten a court order for, but I didn't have to.
I'm not sure if them having to provide you a signal is absolutely true, you may wanna check into that.
It is my opinion that apt. complexes sign deals with cable companies, thus preventing some people from getting satellite service. Since people don't argue, they get away with it.
I would however advise that you make sure you have plenty of time left on your lease. If you take this to far, you may not get the chance to renew.
just my 2 cents,
Neal

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Robert,
I must ask if you have a balcony (private) that will allow you to point the dish in the right direction. If you do, that is the best way to go. You can either buy a pot and cement a pole in it, or another method would be to put a sheet of 3/4" ply, cut it to the size of deck and mount the dish to it.
What you cannot do is to drill or screw anything into their property. As for the cable, I discovered that the sliding glass door didn't go all the way across the track, so I wove the cable around it, and it worked out great.
Some people have managed to point the dish from the inside through a window, but I couldn't get that to work.
Good luck - Glenn

Neal_C

Second Unit
I did some research on getting the signal through a window after I tried it and failed. It all depends on the thickness of the window, and how well it compares to the wavelength of the signal being sent by the satellite. It also depends the angle the dish is pointing with respect to the window. If it is pointing straight out, obviously have a much better chance to get the signal. The more the angle out the window, the less chance. Its kinda like the space shuttle re-entering the atmosphere, if you don't get the right angle it will either burn up or bounce off. In the case of the signal and window, it will either be absorbed or bounce off. The recommendation is switch the window pane to plexiglass.
Also, when running the cable in from outside, there is an adapter that will allow you to full close a window while having the cable still go through it. Its designed for RV's and am sure it will work with your patio door.
Neal

Robert Vaclav

Auditioning
Thanks friends,
I think I have enough info to be able to install with confidence. I appreciate all of your feedback on the matter. :)
As for the solution, I guess I'll mount it on the balcony.
rolleyes.gif
I just hope that I can get reasonable signal strength.
Thanks again,
As always,
Robert

Timmy

Stunt Coordinator
you can mount a dish anywhere that is on the property you pay for such as your balcony.
Be careful when using words like "mount". You are forbid from "mounting"..... in/as drilling holes and driving screws.
One can "clamp" onto something. Also some company makes a flower-planter with a mast mount built in.

Neal_C

Second Unit
You are not forbidden from mounting, you are just responsible for returning it to its original condition, ie filling the holes, when you move out. I think landlords try to scare to many people away from satellite. Their "if we let you do it, everyone will want it" and "it doesn't look good on our building" are such b.s. answers its a joke.
I firmly believe the apt. complexes, condos, etc, that don't allow satellites to be mounted on a wall, on the roof, etc, have contracts with cable companies. The cable company knows that about half the units in the complex wont' have any private space to mount a dish, so they know they are guaranteed to get atleast that much service if they do a contract with apt. complex. Of course, the apt. will never tell you that is the reason, they will just give you the other bs.
I believe the FCC should pass a rule to give people in these situations a choice of service..its a monopoly if you only have one choice. And believe, I know about monopolies, I live in Texas...try getting a choice on utilities, and until a few years ago, phone service.
Of course, these are just my thoughts,
Neal

PeterM

Auditioning
Does anyone know where to get that adapter that allows you to close the door and still run the cable through it?
------------------

Timmy

Stunt Coordinator
I believe the FCC should pass a rule to give people in these situations a choice of service
I wouldn't hold my breath on that ever happening for renters. Although the FCC said you can erect an outside TV antenna to receive local OTA broadcasts even though your landlord has a central antenna system or cable company feed if certain conditiona are met. But then you get into the "mounting" and "coax cable run" restrictions.
But one still has a choice to buy a single dwelling family home and escape this mess altogether.
Here are some parts of the FCC FAQ;
Q: Are there restrictions that may be placed on residents of rental property?
A: Yes. A restriction necessary to prevent damage to leased property may be reasonable. For example, tenants could be
prohibited from drilling holes through exterior walls or through the roof......
Q: If my association, building management, landlord, or property owner provides a central antenna, may I install
an individual antenna?
A: Generally, the availability of a central antenna may allow the association, landlord, property owner, or other management
entity to restrict the installation by individuals of antennas otherwise protected by the rule. Restrictions based on the availability
of a central antenna will generally be permissible provided that: (1) the person receives the particular video programming or
fixed wireless service that the person desires and could receive with an individual antenna covered under the rule (e.g., the
person would be entitled to receive service from a specific provider, not simply a provider selected by the association); (2) the signal quality of transmission to and from the person's home using the central antenna is as good as, or better than, than the quality the person could receive or transmit with an individual antenna covered by the rule; (3) the costs associated with the use
of the central antenna are not greater than the costs of installation, maintenance and use of an individual antenna covered under the rule; and (4) the requirement to use the central antenna instead of an individual antenna does not unreasonably delay the viewer's ability to receive video programming or fixed wireless services.*

the complete FAQ:
www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks