What's new

Lame computer question, please help if possible (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
My black lab stepped on my laptop computer screen. Since then, I've lost all upper and lower tool bars. Internet explorer opens as a full white screen until I move the mouse along the top of the screen. Favorites, start menu, everything is blank unless I scroll the mouse over the area. Some functions even seem to be missing. Any ideas how to get things back to normal? Thanks for any responses

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Sounds like a combination of settings changes.

For Internet Explorer, try hitting F11 (full screen mode).

Windows taskbar sounds like it's in auto-hide mode. Right-clicking on it to get to properties should get you to a menu to change it.

CRyan

Screenwriter
My first reaction was the same as above - a host of setting changes. If the suggestions above do not work, we need some more inforamation. Does it play video ok? Do you get your normal BIOS screen when booting up? The reason I ask is because the scrolling to make things finally appear on screen sounds like it could be a video driver or even video card issue. A physical hardware problem would not be out of the realm of possibility here. If it does end up being a software problem, you might have to reinstall Windows to get everything back. I have had Windows so screwed up before that was the only way to bring back sanity. But I would at least try updating your video drivers (or rolling back) to see if that helps.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Cameron Yee said:
Sounds like a combination of settings changes. For Internet Explorer, try hitting F11 (full screen mode). Windows taskbar sounds like it's in auto-hide mode. Right-clicking on it to get to properties should get you to a menu to change it.
Thank you for the hint. That's all it took, just one keystroke, hit F11 and everything returned to normal. You'd think for someone with 17 years IT installs, helpdesk, admin, etc. I'd have figured it out, but got burned out on computers about 9 years ago and don't know the ins and outs like I used to. Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks