What's new

Lain box sets? (1 Viewer)

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I was just recently thinking about buying this series but then I noticed that there is more than one box set out there? Am I best to just go with the signature series box set? Is the series in 4:3 format or widescreen? Any info would be great, even better review of the discs.
Thanks

Joshua Lane

Second Unit
No matter which box set you choose, the content is exactly the same. The "Signature Series" was just a reprice of the original DVD's, with a slight adjustment to the cover-art. And yes, it's in 4:3 format.

The Signature Series set is the most recent release (1/11/05) and also the cheapest. The other box set (which came out in 2001 and has an all blue cover) is out of print. However, RightStuf seems to have some stock left and is selling the set for $29.99... that's a great deal. The site says they only have 3 left, so you might want to hurry on that one.

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6.../55047/4/626/0

And here's a review of that set:

http://www.animatedbliss.com/DVD/lis...%2 0Box%20Set

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I checked that link -- they have 1 left, and it's $108. :frowning: They want $54 for the Signature set.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
chad - lain is one of my all-time fave anime series. i've seen it many times and it still continues to blow me away. it's hard to describe (or believe) that anime can evoke a mood, but this one definitely does. certain scenes (especially the power wires) just gave me the creeps!

i have the blue boxset, which is hard to find now. but even the signature series is worth it ... it's exactly the same content. all they did was ruin the cover-art. at 50 bucks or so ... it's a steal.

if you really want some info, ask the guys on the advanced anime thread ... they're the true anime studs.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Lain is a fantastic, but weird, series. If only I'd paid as little as $50 for the whole series.

James D

Second Unit
Aaron-you were late to the Rightstuf party. They change their weekly specials on Thursday morning. That is why the price is now $108.:frowning:

Adam_D

Stunt Coordinator
i have the oop lunchbox set. it's the same as the last two releases, as far the the discs go, it just has a lunchbox and soundtrack with it. mainly i bought it for the collectivity of it (i have no idea of the actual market for it now that the two new ones have come out), but it looks nice on display.

Daniel`D

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not into anime but when I read about this show, I have to get this set. It sounds like it could interest me.

Allen>B

Agent
I consider Lain a true animation classic.

I really recommend it to anyone that has never seen a japanese animated series.

It's a very intelligent project.

Not nearly as good, but I also liked it, was "His and Her Circumstances". This starts off fun and strong, but it literally looks like they ran out of money half way through and it falls apart into a mess.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Not sure that I would recommend Lain as a good entry point for someone who's never seen an anime before. Something like Evangelion, that starts off with giant robot battles, and eases into heavier and weirder material, might work better. Lain is just bizarre all the way through. :)

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
"His and Hers" [Kare-Kano] was a GAINAX project. All GAINAX projects have that look of running out of money halfway through. This is because, believe it or not, GAINAX always runs out of money halfway through. A studio made up of hardcore fans, they have no self-control; in fact, their star director [Anno Hideaki] has made a whole style out of running out of money jsut before the end! :laugh:
oh, and theted: thanks! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks