What's new

Lady And The Tramp (1 Viewer)

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Lady and the Tramp

Walt Disney's beloved 1955 classic Lady and the Tramp arrives on February 28th, 2006 as a new two-disc special edition. The film, actually part of Buena Vista's limited "Platinum Editions" line, will feature newly remastered and digitally restored anamorphic widescreen and fullscreen transfers, along with a Dolby Digital 5.1 "Disney Enhanced Home Theater Mix" and restored original soundtrack.

Bonus materials will include two never-before-seen deleted/abandoned sequences ("Turning the Tables" and "La La Loo"), a complete 1943 version of the film via newly-discovered storyboards, "Lady's Pedigree: The Making of Lady and the Tramp" documentary, "Finding Lady: The Art of the Storyboard" featurette, a "Disney Virtual Puppy" DVD-ROM feature, "Disney Dog Trivia" virtual board game, a "PuppyPedia" dog breed resource, a new music video and more. Retail will be $29.99. The DVD release will be accompanied by an official U.S. Postal Service stamp commemorating the film.

Steve JD

Stunt Coordinator
Would you know if "restored original soundtrack" means 4.0 (from original 4-track mix from 1955) ?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Does that mean they are "finishing" the work on the aforementioned abandoned scenes and inserting them into the film? There's just no need for that, if that's the case.

Or did they have a '43 version which was abandoned because of the war effort and re-worked into the '55 release?

Damn, where's Ernest Rister when you need him?! :D

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Is anyone certain that Lady and the Tramps OAR was 2.35:1 and not 2.55:1? And why is the full screen version on this disc not the original, but rather a pan/scan version of the Scope version?

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Scott, it doesn't say it's pan-and-scan, so no reason to assume the original Academy version won't be included.

TedD

Supporting Actor
LaTT was originally released before magoptical prints were available, so would have originally been released in both 2.55:1 magnetic and 2.35:1 optical prints.

Ted

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler

It is not a Pan/Scan. Disney had made two versions. L&T was released in theatres in 1955 in two versions due to the fact that most theatres didnt have Cinemascope. The rest of the screens got a reframed 1:33 print.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Time to unload my original version on Ebay. I hope it still has some of the value that it once had.:D

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I read it on ultimatedisney.com. I'm aware that the film was photographed twice. I just hope the Academy ratio version is present. And as far as OAR, it seems that Disney has used an '80's re-release version as its source in the past. I was hoping for a 2.55:1 framing.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
There is some cause for concern on framing, wasn't the VHS release based on a P&S version of the restored Scope version, as opposed to a restored acadamy ratio version?

I have no idea is this was ever corrected, but I seem to remember some controversy with this title in the past because of the 2 versions.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler

As far as I know the 80's VHS was a cropped print but the 96 release(?) was the true 1:33 reframed print from 1955.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
There was a laserdisc release of L&T in the late 90s (probably not 96 but rather 97 or 98) - or two, in fact. There were separate LDs of the "scope" and the "academy" versions. I seem to remember that the academy version was unknown (not yet "rediscovered") at the time of the first video release (late 80s?).

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The Academy version was released on home video in the '90's...it was missing a couple of sound effects/music cues though.

Patrick.C

Second Unit
The artwork is up at DVDAnswers. The artwork labels it as a "2 Disc Special Edition" and not a "Platinum Edition". And from the press release:

Its being released as a special edition but its really a platinum edition?!? With everyone making such a big deal about Disney releasing two Platinums in one year, it doesn't sound like thats really the case.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
IMO, that word "Platinum" doesn't mean much - it's just a little marketing trick. I think I just saw the Bambi DVD advertised as a "Special Edition" as well. I think the only one of those "banners" used by Disney that "means" something is "Walt Disney Treasures".

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I'm looking forward to this release. This will be the first of the Platnium edition's that replace a DVD I already have though, the first 6 were all first time DVDs for me.

So Lady is the 7th PE and The Little Mermaid will be number 8. If I recall right, Disney said there would be 10 Platinum Edition movies. So I am trying to think, what's left? The Jungle Book maybe... and then what else?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks