What's new

La Regle du Jeu (THE RULES OF THE GAME) - any news? (1 Viewer)

Matt_P

Second Unit
I haven't heard anything. It would certainly be nice to see, though. Renoir's film seems like a prime candidate for a Criterion release....

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
I e-mailed Criterion concerning this title in November, and Jon Mulvaney replied:
Dear Mark,
THE RULES OF THE GAME is a real possibility for 2003. However,
nothing definite has been determined at this time.
Best,
JM

I just traded my (pretty good) R2 copy, and hope we'll hear something official from Criterion soon. :)

I hope so too. It's a crime that this film -- the only movie to consistently make Sight & Sound's best films of all time list for the past 50 years -- hasn't been given the full-out treatment yet.

I've heard that a restored 35mm print is making the rounds; let's hope this was in preparation for a DVD release.

Dave Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, I am salivating! :)
This is a for-sure must have. Criterion did such a great job with Grand Illusion, I can only imagine what they would do with this one.

Ali B

Second Unit
a full restored version is available - from France. Also has a nice documentary on it and both this and the feature have english subs.

ali

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
That's the version I just traded (on this forum). That version was hard to find for some time, and now it's being re-released, Paul.
The French dvd is not fully restored, Ali. In this case, restored refers to the 1959 reconstruction of the film (link)
Still a good release, even the menus are available in English. I don't really like yellow subtitles though, especiallly on B&W movies.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Not quite as super as if they had found the original camera negative, as they did with Grand Illusion, but super nonetheless.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I was under the impression that the camera negative had either disintegrated over time or was destroyed. Presumably, the leap in quality in the fine-grain element was great enough for Criterion to throw out a presumably very costly high-definition digitally restored master, so I'm on tenterhooks waiting for this one!

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Oh, I'm sure it'll be a big improvement. I should be more positive. It's very exciting news.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
If ever there was a movie that wanted to be released by Criterion, this is it. Good timing on the master find! These folks lead charmed lives, it would seem.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
One of my favorite films of all time will be released this month in a 4K restoration with Janus Films. I think it will have a limited theatrical run and i hope a 4K release by Criterion?

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
On May 22nd BFI will release a new 4K restoration of the film on Blu-ray. One of the greatest films and will look into buying this one.
  • Restored in 4K in 2021 by La Cinémathèque française and Les Grands Films Classiques and presented on Blu-ray
  • A 42-minute documentary on the making of La Règle du Jeu, directed by Pierre Oscar Levy (1987) for the series Image par Image
  • Newly commissioned sleeve art by Jennifer Dionisio
  • Other extras TBC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks