What's new

L Shaped room (1 Viewer)

Scot Kight

Grip
Any hints on L-Shaped rooms?

ok here is a quick text shaping, maybe it wont come out right but.. Darn non fixed width fonts. If anyone knows how to get this to come out right, let me know.

20'

--------------------|

|...........{TV}...D|

|12'......1.....1...|

|..D................SSD

-------|.CCCCCCCCC..SSD

6' |.CCCCCCCCC..|

|............|

|.........SSS|

--------------

14'

1 = speaker, c = couch, S = stairs D = doors

with 10' ceilings

I have a couch, the tv, newform research speakers, and some acoustic stuff. Mostly DIY acoustic panels and tube traps.

Just looking for what you all would advise for placements, and other things I should build.

The major problem I have is MAJOR peaks and dips, 20db in places. Its quite... distracting.

MichaelGomez

Stunt Coordinator
There was a great issue in Home Theater Technology that did L shaped rooms. I don't remember the issue number but I bet if you e-mailed them, they could tell you.
Anyway I think that they did something like this:
Link Removed
They then used the receiver to adjust for dips and other stuff like speaker distance.
Hope this helps. Too bad I just cleaned out the magazine rack.
Mike

Scot Kight

Grip
If you put the audio equipment on the long wall but leave everything else where it is, thats my room. Unfortunately I cant put the system at the end of an L corridor because of windows and doors.

At 40hz I have a 20db dip, and at 70hz I have a 20db rise. The low end is.. aweful. It doesnt get much better as the frequencies rise.

I have some series of treatments, but just want some advice as to what you guys would suggest putting into the room. I will also check out the mag and see what info it has. If its the one I seem to remember, it wasnt really all that informational. Basically said "An l shaped room is hard. Uh, put stuff here. or pay someone to help you out, cause its uh, hard."

But maybe that was sound and vision.. (I think thats the name of the other mag) Now that I think about it I am certain it wasn't HTT that had the article I am thinking about. I'm going to go email them right now!

Scot

MichaelGomez

Stunt Coordinator
I couldn't tell where the doors where in your picture. I assumed that this was a dedicated HT room so windows weren't an issue. I have my entertainment center coving up one of my windows (room darkening blinds and curtains covering it). If you can do it that way great, if not then I guess you need a good parametric equilizer to try and level out the frequency response.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks