What's new

Kudos to TCU (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I wanted to seperate this from the NCAA thread, because it's so both shocking and amazing that TCU did this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1672511

Turning down a bowl bid because it falls within their exam schedule. If TCU sticks with this, then yes, it's passing up $ for the school, but it's also sending a message that academics are what a university is for, athletics second ;)

Clint B

Second Unit
Well, I'm glad that the Horned Frogs have had such a great season. While it does appear that TCU, by possibly turning down a bowl bid, is saying they value academics over athletics (probably true, as TCU is a fine school), I guarantee you that they wouldn't have turned down a BCS bid had it been offered to them, regardless of whether or not they feel athletics should take a back seat to academics.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I can't say the same for my school, Miami of OH, which accepted the invitation to the same bowl. They're going to play on the 4th day of exams.

"We are very excited for the well-deserved recognition for our students, and alumni and fans," said Director of Athletics Brad Bates. "The opportunity to showcase Miami University in the prestigious GMAC Bowl provides an extraordinary experience for our students, and we are looking forward to being a part of what has become one of college football's most exciting bowl games."
Yeah, most of the students are going to have to watch it on TV. :rolleyes

Bill MacAdoo

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know that I agree. I think a decision like that should be left to the players. After all, I'm guessing a large majority of them were recruited to play football at TCU, and to deny them a chance to play in a bowl game more-or-less because it's not a BCS one (I agree that they'd have jumped at it, in that case) isn't fair to the guys that have played their asses off all season...

"But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Sounds more like sour grapes to me. I too believe that if it were a multi-million dollar payout like the BCS and it still happened to be during exams that they would accept it. Its a slap in the face to Conference USA and the GMAC bowl. If you don't want to follow the rules (2nd place CUSA team plays in GMAC) and care so much about academics (I'm sure scheduling those Thursday night games were about improving academics and not money) then just quit playing division 1 football.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Realize, a BCS bowl occurs on Jan 1. There is no school to conflict with ;)

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Realize, a BCS bowl occurs on Jan 1. There is no school to conflict with
I'm pretty sure that most of the people in here are sports fans, so I'm sure most understand that. What we are saying is hypothetical (or at least I was). If a BCS game was during exams with the same 8 million dollar payout and TCU was invited would they still take the high road? My guess is a school that makes their kids play almost half their games on non traditional days (including a Monday night and Wednesday night) in order to make money would probably take the 8 million.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
It seems that if you have a contract to "possibly" qualify for the GMAC bowl, that the exam schedules could be drawn up or accomodated with this in mind. And like Jed M said, maybe 1A football is not really where TCU needs to be.

Except for the exclusive party the BCS puts on around January 1, the only other game this bowl season that was somewhat interesting was a TCU v Miami OH matchup. Two of the best mid-majors ranked in the high teens would have been a great match. As it is not set up, all the bowls have their contractual tie-ins with conference winners and the 2-3 or 5-6th place finisher of another conference.

I would have loved to see Boise State travel somewhere to play TCU or Miami OH. The matchup can't happen because of previous contracts.

If the BCS is going to continue to have their own showcased on Jan 1st, I would like to see four other converences have a three game series to determine the winner of the non-BCS conferences.

These smaller bowls don't make a lot of money. The $750,000 seems like a lot, but many teams have to poney up a committment for a lot of the seats and this comes from that schools athletic department. If the school can't sell the seats, the schools basically pays to attend the bowl. UCLA got in a hissy fit a couple of years ago about "paying" to come up to Boise to play in the Humanitarian Bowl. I could certainly understand their point. They were not good enough that year to qualify for a higher bowl and resented the situation where they had to pay to play.

A bowl gives the players a chance to play on TV, and maybe for seniors, in front of their friends and family for the last time.

I think TCU could have made arrangements with the instructors to offer the exams on a more flexible basis.

Just got back from the Nevada v Boise State game. Heard the score of TCU 20 V SMU 14. I can imagine the pep talk the coach gave before the game. "Fellows, we won't be going to the GMAC bowl, but that's fine, we value academics. So let's show our resolve and crush this winless team ranked 117!"

Guess the only one who showed up for the game was SMU.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Fantastic news! TCU has accepted a bit to the Fort Worth Bowl and today Boise State has agreed to play. The closest thing we will get to a mid-major playoff bowl game. Two 11-1 teams (Boise has a final game against Hawaii on Sat) who are virtually identical in the polls.

A big game for both teams as both TCU and Boise State are positioning for an invite to the Mountain West Conference. With good support by both teams at the bowl this is the best thing that could happen to both teams. It would be great for both to get the invite to the Mountain West.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I fully expect Boise State to kick the crap out of TCU.

On a side note, Tulsa is supposedly going to play in the Humanitarian Bowl!

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Neither but I suspect that the Big XII teams that had the oppurtunity to play there chose elsewhere. Being that the case, they took the best available at large team left or it got negotiated by the WAC and Big XII for some sort of swap.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
I fully expect Boise State to kick the crap out of TCU.
One would hope so. Or at least one from Boise would hope so. Actually an ass kicking like Boise State has given out the last few years might be a bit much to expect from an evenly matched team. But, all cylinders are firing so anything is possible. What was that TCU 20-13 win over SMU about?

Tulsa gave Boise State a surprise. The quarterback Dinwiddie got hit in the first half and said he couldn't remember the second half very well. An extremely accurate passer, he was off his mark. Hence the relatively close 27-20 score.

Anyway, bring on the HORNEY TOADS!!

Andy Hardin

Stunt Coordinator
I don't believe this had anything to do with the final exam schedule. TCU believed they should play on a bigger stage then they were invited to.

Now they can play Boise State on ESPN2.

(as a side note, I'm a huge College FB fan, and am excited to see what Dinwiddie can do against that D).

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
(as a side note, I'm a huge College FB fan, and am excited to see what Dinwiddie can do against that D).
He he were QB for Oklahoma he would be an easy Heisman candidate. He will finish his career as the all time 1A pass efficiency leader.

In 2001 he went up against Heisman candidate and future NFL #1 draft pick David Carr of Fresno State at Fresno when they were ranked #8 - similar to TCU this year. As a sophmore he bested Carr, killed his Heisman chances, knocked Fresno out from BCS consideration and set the stage for the 67-21 blowout last year. He is the most valuable player to ever compete for Boise State.

Maybe a bit small for a front line NFL QB, but probably a better prospect than Doug Flutie and match for Carr.

If he hadn't been pulled out of five blowouts in the third quarter, he may have passed B.J. Symonds of Texas Tech.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks