1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Kubrick collections

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by RAMBOZOTHECLOWN, Nov 12, 2013.

Tags:
  1. RAMBOZOTHECLOWN

RAMBOZOTHECLOWN Active Member

So I have been eyeballing the Kubrick collection, and I definitely want to get it, but I am a bit confused. There are two different sets one with seven films and one with ten. I can't seem to find the 10 film collection on blu ray. Has it been released on blu ray, or just the 7 film set?

2. Craig S

Craig S Premium
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Here's the history of Kubrick boxes in Region A (the US):

The original Stanley Kubrick Collection from Warner was in a white box and had 8 films: Lolita, Dr. Strangelove, 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, Eyes Wide Shut. That set was widely criticized for problematic PQ, among other things.

A few years later Warner released the 2nd Stanley Kubrick Collection (in a blue box this time) with improved PQ. This one had the same 8 films with a bonus disc featuring the documentary Stanley Kubrick: A Life In Pictures.

The above two were DVD only.

Once the Blu-ray era hit, Warner triple-dipped with Stanley Kubrick: The Essential Collection. This box has the 8 films mentioned above, and for the first time adds Spartacus to the mix for a total of 9 films. The Life In Pictures documentary is also included. This box is available on both DVD & Blu-ray. It is the most complete Kubrick box released to date. If you count the documentary, this is probably the 10 film set you referred to.

The 7 film set you are referring to is the Stanley Kubrick: Visionary Filmmaker Collection. It appears to be similar to the Essential Collection above except it drops the two non-Warner films (Spartacus & Dr. Strangelove) - I assume Warner's rights to distribute these expired.

All of the above are available on Amazon, although the Visionary Filmmaker Collection is not currently in stock.

3. RAMBOZOTHECLOWN

Craig, thanks for clearing this up for me. I definitely want The essential collection, and now I know what to Google. Appreciate your assistance.

4. Jari K

Jari K Well-Known Member

"Stanley Kubrick: Limited Edition Collection" (that's the official title) Blu-ray box is OOP, I believe. I remember that it was on sale on Amazon at some point so I ordered it. It actually seems that many times some of these sets go OOP after the sale (NOT always!) - they probably clear the remaining stock.

5. Craig S

Craig S Premium
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Oops! You're right - the "Essential Collection" is the DVD version; "Limited Edition Collection" refers to the Blu version. And while I also believe you're correct about it being OOP, it is available on Amazon (with Prime) from third-party sellers.

6. cafink

cafink Well-Known Member

7. RAMBOZOTHECLOWN

Yeah, I started looking around, and noticed that The Essential collection is a little spendy. I guess The Visionary Film Maker collection it is and then buy the two omitted films separate. It will save me at least $75.00. Unless I can find a set of yhe other for dirt cheap.

8. Jari K

Jari K Well-Known Member

Of course you can get it from Ebay, Amazon.com marketplace etc, but it's still technically OOP. :)

You can get the similar box set from e.g. UK where it's called "Stanley Kubrick: Visionary Filmmaker Collection". It's pretty cheap also:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-Kubrick-Visionary-Filmmaker-Collection/dp/B004MW57KA/
    It's missing "Spartacus" and "Dr. Strangelove" from the US set, though.

9. Sumnernor

Sumnernor Well-Known Member

Sumner Northcutt
    I got the UK collection and am very happy with it.

I also had no problem removing the disks.

10. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
  11. cafink

cafink Well-Known Member

I was wondering about that. Amazon lists it as an August 2000 release, by which time I expect that Eyes Wide Shut would have been out on DVD.