What's new

KRULL Blu-ray on 9/30 (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
For those of you that have preordered -or- about to order, the price dropped to $8.99 on Amazon

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Initially I dismissed it as an Amazon error too Tino, but then I saw Mill Creek's back cover art which just says "1080p High Definition"...no reference to the aspect ratio at all...which is very unusual.

Mill Creek's own product page for Krull states 2.40:1 AR though, so at least that is encouraging...

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Doesn't kick back to the forum, but Barnes and Noble has this on pre-order for $5.43
ROclockCK said:
Initially I dismissed it as an Amazon error too Tino, but then I saw Mill Creek's back cover art which just says "1080p High Definition"...no reference to the aspect ratio at all...which is very unusual.

Mill Creek's own product page for Krull states 2.40:1 AR though, so at least that is encouraging...
The back cover art that Mill Creek posted on their Facebook page mentions 2.40:1 as the aspect ratio.
10500336_10152357269249773_2411557011012332306_n.jpg

They know the runtime listed is wrong, and said on Facebook that the film will run the correct length of 2 hours and 51 seconds.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Derrick King said:
Doesn't kick back to the forum, but Barnes and Noble has this on pre-order for $5.43
The back cover art that Mill Creek posted on their Facebook page mentions 2.40:1 as the aspect ratio.
10500336_10152357269249773_2411557011012332306_n.jpg

They know the runtime listed is wrong, and said on Facebook that the film will run the correct length of 2 hours and 51 seconds.

I read that initially as 2 hours and 51 minutes. And had to re-read it a few times before I got the "seconds" piece. It must be time for me to go to bed...

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Jason_V said:
I read that initially as 2 hours and 51 minutes. And had to re-read it a few times before I got the "seconds" piece. It must be time for me to go to bed...
Ha, that is how I initially read it when I saw Mill Creek's facebook post. I should have put 121 minutes, but I must have been too sleepy to consider that others would read it the same way I initially did.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
I'm really glad this is hitting Blu, but it's reeeeaaaalllly lame and annoying the extras weren't ported over from the DVD. Now I'll have to hold onto the DVD too.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just finished watching this film.

Completely new to me after not seeing it for about 20 years.

Brought back some good memories. After all, back when this film was
originally released, it was the "bees knees" among movie fans.

Today? Well, it holds up well for the most part. I love this film for the fact
that it's from the pre-CGI era, so as cheesy as the effects are (and the transfer
often shows its limitations), one still appreciates the artistic value of what was
accomplished at the time.

The best news I can share with all of you, as has been suspected, is that
Sony did this transfer and handed it off to Mill Creek. The transfer looks terrific.
The sound, though limited to 5.1 and lacking somewhat in dynamics, still offers
some very cool surround effects.

It was really fun revisiting this film. I think fans are going to be extremely pleased
with what Sony has done here. I suppose we can be thankful that this is being
released under Mill Creek, otherwise we could be paying more than double the price.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I just had to post a correction since I had a flashback when thinking about buying Krull. My friend and I saw Krull and Yor: The Hunter From the Future as the double feature. I also must have gone to the theater a lot in 1983 because as I was trying to find Yor (thought it was Yar), I was amazed at how many movies I remember that came out in 1983.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Krull showed up in the mailbox last night and I'm planning on spinning it tonight. I'm REALLY looking forward to it...

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Recently re-watched Krull for the first time in years, and the first time on Blu. Very impressed! I first saw this film in the 200X's (on the regular DVD), and feel this is a great '80's sci-fi/fantasy flick. The Blu has an amazing print, and one of the best Blu's of an '80's film. Vivid color & amazing PQ.

It's sometimes difficult to combine the sci-fi & fantasy genres, but I feel Krull pulled this off well. I liked how the Slayers initially used laser guns, but then when they were fighting in close quarters, they instead used swords.

Also, visually it was interesting how the Slayers were in black armor while outside the fortress, then when they were in the fortress the armor was white.

The Beast was a horrific monster, and it was disorienting trying to figure out how large the character was (he was primarily seen in the shadows, a distance from the other characters).

And, despite the fact that the Slayers & the Beast were "aliens" from another galaxy/planet, they appeared more like fantasy "monsters" than sci-fi aliens, which I'm sure was intentional.

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
For some reason this film never clicked with me, but if the Blu looks that good I may go ahead and give it another chance.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
For some reason this film never clicked with me, but if the Blu looks that good I may go ahead and give it another chance.
It's a good title to bring you up to free shipping if you're ordering something from DeepDiscount if you're just getting one item ...

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I have great memories of watching Krull back in the 80s and love the soundtrack. Every...single...time I put the disc in to watch the movie, I fall asleep. It's not the movie, it's me and I know that. Maybe this weekend when the dogs aren't home.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Krull is one of those films that was a staple of my younger days, but that displays its many flaws when I watch it now. It certainly has a lot going for it as far as makeup, effects, and that amazing score. It's just tonally uneven, the lead lacks charisma, and there are stretches where it's simply dull. With that said, I still enjoy popping it in every once in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks