What's new

KP-46WT510-progressive signal from DVD looks worse (1 Viewer)

Tony-C

Auditioning
Hello there,
Brand new newbie here. I just recently purchased a KP-46WT510 TV and a SLV-D300P combvo DVD/VCR player. After hooking up the player to the TV via component connection, I noticed that the picture using the player's progressive signal output was not as good looking as viewing the picture interlaced from the player and using the CineMotion 3:2 pulldown mode on the TV. Using the progressive signal, the picture looked more blocky and the colors weren't as vibrant. If this has been covered before, I'd be great if you could link me to the appropriate thread and/or FAQ. Thanks in advance for any input and advice!
-Tony

nick_rh

Stunt Coordinator
Your TV is better at progressive-scanning than the DVD player is. I don't know what brand your DVD is, but if it's a combination DVD/VCR, it's probably got a pretty cheap progressive-scanner (aka line doubler). You can keep it on interlaced, or get a superior DVD player (check the A/V Sources forum for opinions on those...I just got a Pioneer 563A which definitely seems to provide a better progressive scan picture than my Panasonic PT-47WX53 does on its own, plus it retails for about $150 and can do DVD-A and SACD...pretty good deal!).

Tony-C

Auditioning
Thanks for the response Nick. Both the TV and the player are Sony. The wife wanted one of those combo players so we wouldn't have so much 'stuff' in our entertainment center. She let me get the TV so I got what she wanted! :)
-Tony

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Tony,

Most progressie scan dvd players have settings that turn the 3/2 pulldown on and off or allow the player to automatically turn it on and off according to the flagging on the disc. You might try checking the manual for you player to see how to change these settings and do a little experimenting. Most players default to an auto mode which may not work on all discs--for these you may have to manually select film or cinemotion mode.

The pq advantage of the better de-interlacers is usually only relevant to video based material or poorly flagged dvds.

Tony-C

Auditioning
Steve,
I haven't checked if my player has that option or not. It's a Sony player. Do you happen to know if Sony players have the ability to change the progressive settings? I'll see what I can find out. Thanks for the response!
-Tony

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Tony,

While I've never had a Sony progressive scan player my experienc with 2 JVCs and a couple of Panasonics is that they all had mode adjustments for progressive scan, usually labelled "video" "film" and a couple of "auto" choices. If that Sony of yours has 3/2 pulldown as I'm almost sure it does, there must be some way to turn it on and off. Being a Sony I wouldn't be surprised if they just called it "cinemotion" like they do on the tvs themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks