What's new

Kosher Coke, or Mexican Coke made with real suger cane (1 Viewer)

Dougofthenorth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Being in Canada sure sucks for choice & availability.

Being a diabetic Type 2, I am limited to Crush Orange & Crush Cream Soda
Extremely allergic to Aspartame, Acesulfame K & etc
Stevia = spastic bowel

There used to be Coke & Pepsi colas with Splenda (Sucralose) but alas - no more

What I wouldn't give for a Splenda cola once in a while... :wub:
- that was available up here

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Dougofthenorth said:
Being in Canada sure sucks for choice & availability.

Being a diabetic Type 2, I am limited to Crush Orange & Crush Cream Soda
Extremely allergic to Aspartame, Acesulfame K & etc
Stevia = spastic bowel

There used to be Coke & Pepsi colas with Splenda (Sucralose) but alas - no more

What I wouldn't give for a Splenda cola once in a while... :wub:
- that was available up here
If you're near the New York border, you might be able to find this line of diet soda, all sweetened with Splenda:

http://adirondackbeverages.com/Products/WaistWatcher/tabid/74/Default.aspx

Pepsi still makes Pepsi One, but it isn't available everywhere.

Dougofthenorth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Richard Gallagher said:
If you're near the New York border, you might be able to find this line of diet soda, all sweetened with Splenda:

http://adirondackbeverages.com/Products/WaistWatcher/tabid/74/Default.aspx

Pepsi still makes Pepsi One, but it isn't available everywhere.

Thanks, Rich

I am about 1hr or so away BUT with all the border & custom (both sides) hassles & delays nowadays,
I am not willing to put up with that nonsense for a cola. But maybe if RC had a Splenda cola :)
or if there was a Splenda root beer - damn the torpedoes full speed ahead... !!!!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Does anyone in the northeast know of any store, chain or independent, that carries a selection of ginger ales and ginger beers?

I thought my local supermarket used to, but there's nothing there now except those used as "mixers": Schweppes, Canada Dry, Seagrams, that kind of thing.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Charles Smith said:
Does anyone in the northeast know of any store, chain or independent, that carries a selection of ginger ales and ginger beers?

I thought my local supermarket used to, but there's nothing there now except those used as "mixers": Schweppes, Canada Dry, Seagrams, that kind of thing.
It just so happened a family friend visited the other night, and brought a few cans of a very ginger-tasting ginger beer I had never tried before. (We're on Long Island, he splits his time between LI and NYC, so I'm not sure where they came from - I've just asked and will let you know if I get an answer.)

I recently bought a Sodastream machine and I like their "Naturally Sweetened" line's Ginger Ale (made with cane sugar and not a blend of splenda as their "normal" mixes are).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Charles Smith said:

Charles, turns out the one I tried was called - Gosling's Ginger Beer - our family friend forget the name of the store he got it from, but it was just a local beer distributor on Long Island. If you've got either a beer distributor or beverage barn type place near you, check them out - even though it's mostly beer, those kinds of stores usually have a nice variety of different sodas, ginger ales, etc.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I think I encountered my first "freestyle" machine in the 50's and at 25cent movie matinees. The Vogue theater had this soda machine where a paper cup is plopped down and you select your soda flavor. I, and other kids, discovered that if you continued to punch the flavor buttons, the machine would start dispensing that latest button choice. One could keep punching buttons until the cup was full. The machine didn't overfill the cup.

At 8 years-old, I came up with some very bad flavor combinations…but I seemed to like them as I would continue to freestyle it. Ah, to be young and stupid again. :)

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I'm resurrecting this thread to report some belated bad news regarding Pepsi's Throwback line (of Pepsi and Mountain Dew), which were absolutely delicious.

The less-than-one-year-old "Pepsi (etc.) Made With Real Sugar" drinks are not, as most people have assumed, Throwback under a new name. I just tried both the Pepsi and the Mountain Dew and wondered what was wrong, so I did some quick googling. For this new line, they state that they have slightly altered the sodium and sugar content. God only knows what they don't state. Bottom line, they're different from Throwback, and for my taste, I won't be buying them again. Following the excitement over Throwback, I can't even imagine what the decision making process here must have been. Suffice it to say that the appearance of the current, contemporary logo on the bottles and cans, in spite of the name appearing in their antique script, can now be taken as a warning sign.

Thank God for the increasing popularity and availability of Mexican Coke (in real bottles, yet!). Coke was always my main drink, anyway. Take those away, and what will there be left to live for? :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I didnt notice that much difference.

Throwback is sweeter.

I wonder if they use beet or cane, or a shifting combination.

I just wish Coke would sell Kosher Coke year round. Mexican Coke is like $1.75 a bottle around here.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I'd be all right with that, too, except I only ever see the Kosher in 2-liter bottles and I greatly prefer drinking from the real glass bottle like I spent the first half of my life doing.

The Mexican bottles are generally four for $5 here, and some places (including Home Depot) sell it by the case for $21 or $22.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow guys, I started this thread way back because of the HFCS in soft drinks and was interested then in finding Pepsi with real sugar. Nice to see it still going.

Since then I managed to quit drinking soft drinks as an attempt to get healthier. But a year later I went to work for a new company and I found myself back on Pepsi.

I really liked the Throwback Pepsi. So interesting to see the Pepsi Made with real Sugar isn't Throwback with new badging. I actually like it. But now I'm curious what is so different about it from Throwback.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
schan1269 said:
Yeah, I don't do shopping clubs.

There are both Sam's and Costco in Merrillville, but never been in either.

What makes you so vehemently opposed to them? Costco is widely respected both as a terrific employer and a more reasonable negotiator with its suppliers than Walmart. I'd gladly support Costco over Walmart any day just because of that, not to mention the great quality of their produce, bulk pricing, and absolutely stellar quality of their photo processing and printing. I make my $40 a year membership fee back on the first two trips. It's the best value of any fee I pay anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks