What's new

Kosher Coke, or Mexican Coke made with real suger cane (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Chas in CT
I've been waiting for Coke to get with the program, seeing the success Pepsi has had with Pepsi and Mountain Dew Throwback. Yes, it sure looks like they're making it a regular thing. Good for them! And, as always, I say that as a lifelong Coke loyalist.

I haven't noticed the Passover Cokes in the store yet, either, but now that a local store is stocking the Mexican GLASS bottled Cokes, I've converted (pun intended) to those. Because they, to me, fully represent the taste sensation I grew up with. I'm a happy boy. Also, once I started buying the Mexican bottles, I found that my remaining 2-liter Passover Cokes had a taste blend that was very rich, very delicious, but different from the perfect balance I'm getting now from south of the border.

I noticed a big display of "Mexican Coke" at my local supermarket, but looking at the labels on the bottles they still list HFCS as the sweetener. What makes them "Mexican" if they're the same formula as regular Coke? Just geographic location of the bottling plant?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
It can be confusing. The ones here have a glued-on paper label with the required US nutritional chart and ingredients, and I'm not near my stash at the moment but I think I've seen them state at various times either "HFCS or sugar" or just plain sugar. If they're really from a Mexican bottling plant, I think they're sugar, regardless. Someone told me the "or" phrase was a requirement but I know nothing about that. They might also state "sucrose" instead of "sugar", which is what's on the 2-liter Passover bottles here.

Don't be fooled by the regular glass bottled Cokes which, again in this area, are still stocked in small quantities in some stores. They are regular US Classic with HFCS clearly stated in the print on the glass.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'm pretty sure the mexi-coke has the ingrediants listed right on the bottle cap and lists only sugar as thesweetener.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
Originally Posted by Nelson Au
Throwback Pepsi seems to be much more widely available now and no longer a short term release. If I'm wrong, please correct me. I stocked up with about 10 cases, just in case they go away again.
Would that work in place of Passover Coke?
I got an e-mail from Pepsi about two months ago saying that Pepsi Throwback was now a permanent part of their line and would be available year round.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Bob Graham
I got an e-mail from Pepsi about two months ago saying that Pepsi Throwback was now a permanent part of their line and would be available year round.
Funny, as I've been looking for it in stores recently and don't find any.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for confirming that Bob.

Here I am stocking up on cases like some people stock up on cases of cigarettes!

Paul D G

Screenwriter
About two months ago I was down to my last case of Throwback. I had heard it was becoming permanent but despite some local stores apparently having it (according to pepsi's store locator) I couldn't find any. Then I saw an ad that some dollar store was selling it so I ran out and bought enough a dozen cases. Then last month I started seeing it everywhere. Just bought a 20oz bottle tonight at Walgreen's.

So glad it's back permanent now. It's a more pleasing taste than regular Pepsi.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Stopped by Walmart on the way home from work and they did have two 12-packs on the shelf. Must be they just got it in as I swear I just checked a week or two ago.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I was finally able to get some at the supermarket near my office. Must have just started stocking it as it was in a display in the foyer of the store.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Rise from your grave necro-thread!

So Coke Freestyle machines are turning up in about every restaurant I visit. And at every single one regular Coke tastes vile. Coca-Cola swears the lines stay clean but I can taste what the last person had before me. Death to these infernal machines!

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Tried it...didn't work. I've resorted to getting the lady at the counter to fill me up from the standard fountain they use for drive-thu customers.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I like the idea of the FreeStyle machines; and like its Cherry Coke mix. I wish it had a complete flavor options: why can't I make cherry root beer?The big problem is it's a slow system. Get behind a couple if kids exploring the machine like its a video game, and I can be waiting for a while to get a drink.If Mexican coke is your thing, Wegman's stocks it regularly in the Mexican food section.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
schan1269 said:
Flying J installed a flavor enhancer on their fountain. I'll do a chocolate cherry Pepsi.
A burger joint I went to in high school did custom syrups for soda. The chocolate-cherry root beer was a favorite. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks