What's new

Kosher Coke, or Mexican Coke made with real suger cane (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Jones Soda company puts out a whole line of products made with pure cane sugar. Not sure how widely they're distributed, but here in New England I usually find their products at Kmart.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Adam Lenhardt said:
As Passover season rolls around again, high fructose corn syrup opponents should be pleased to learn that Pepsi is testing the waters with a suger-cane based brand for year round sale: Pepsi Natural.
Nice! Although it will be in "select cities" I am pretty happy to hear about 'Pepsi Throwback' with the retro cover and sugar instead of HFCS. Throwback versions of Pepsi (and Mountain Dew) will be releases nationwide (yes!) starting April 20th. Good day to start, I guess. Heh.
If I see any of that in the stores here (central Cali) I will stock on it real well. :D
Thanks for that awesome find, Adam!

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I managed to get a few bottles the other day from the supermarket. Normally I try to avoid regularly drinking sugar or HFCS beverages but this only comes out a few weeks per year.

high fructose corn syrup opponents should be pleased to learn that Pepsi is testing the waters with a suger-cane based brand for year round sale: Pepsi Natural.
Although I'm pretty much a devout Coke person, it's an interesting idea and I wondered why these companies don't seem very interested in a real sugar alternative especially since HFCS is starting to become the next heatlh "whipping boy" and that there does seem to be some interest from people. I guess I realize that 99.9% percent of the population does not have any idea of history of sugar and HFCS in their soft drinks. So, how do you market it? For one, if I understand correctly HFCS is cheaper than sugar, so the real sugar stuff would have to cost more, so how do you get people to pay more? I would think that mentioning sugar must be marketing poison, and even if you did, what would you say, try our real sugar stuff because it's better for you than the stuff we've been selling you since the 80's.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
No problem, Scott!
Sugar and HFCS prices depend on the country. Mexico has a massive sugar cane industry, for instance, and has price subsidies that give sugar the competitive edge. All things being equal, sugar will usually be the cheaper solution. But the United States has heavy price subsidies for corn that make HFCS more economical.
The easiest way to market such a product would be to play the organic card. I'm not sure how large the crossover market it between soda drinkers and organic food devotees, though. And the agricultural lobby would argue that corn syrup is an all-natural product, despite the heavy processing.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
The easiest way to market such a product would be to play the organic card
I could a seperate company doing something like that, but why would Coke or Pepsi even want to segment the market for something that so few people are even aware of. It would probably just cause confusion in the marketplace. I wouldn't have thought they would want to go through all of that just for a product that costs more to produce with a minor difference in taste (that some people don't even like all that much, my wife for example).

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Jones Soda company puts out a whole line of products made with pure cane sugar. Not sure how widely they're distributed, but here in New England I usually find their products at Kmart.
Malcolm, Jones is fairly common here in the PacNW (and very tasty).

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Unless I'm mistaken, Canadian Coke is the same as Mexican and Kosher. That is... made with sugar cane syrup, and not HFCS.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
(Can't stand US coke... just tastes... wrong...)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Since this thread has been resurected slightly, I will reiterate my warning since Passover starts on Wednesday and ends on the 16th....
Stay away from the Kosher for Passover Coke so us Jews will have something to drink other than water and iced tea.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
nolesrule said:
Since this thread has been resurected slightly, I will reiterate my warning since Passover starts on Wednesday and ends on the 16th....
Stay away from the Kosher for Passover Coke so us Jews will have something to drink other than water and iced tea.
Warning?
Last time I checked it's a free country.

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
Ashkenaz Jews don't eat corn products during Passover, but Sephardic Jews do. So corn syrup isn't a problem for them. Me!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

In fact, concerning soda, some would say it's not really a problem for Ashkenaz either because their prohibition does not apply when corn (etc) is less than 50% of the ingredients. Ask your rabbi, though.
That said, I like the taste of K for P Coke very much!

Jimi C

Screenwriter
If it hasnt been said yet Pepsi just released its new thing for the summer. "Throwback Pepsi" made with real sugar. They have it in 20oz bottles so far.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I've been getting "Throwback Mountain Dew" the last couple of weeks. It tastes different, but IDK about better. I figured I'd stick with it to see if I develop a taste for it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Whoa, I've been away from this thread, didn't know it came back!

I've been seeing those commercials now for Pepsi Throwback, and during Prime time too. I have to wonder what Pepsi is up to. Are they just testing it out as it seems since it's just for a short time, or do they think this could become a regular product.

I have not seen any at my local grocery store yet. I'd like to try it out. If it's good, hope it sticks around.

One thing I like about the Mexican Coke, is that it keeps much better after a bottle has been open and left in the fridge over night. I wonder if that's due to the sugar and I wonder if the Pepsi acts the same.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Time for a much needed updated for this thread.

Not quite Coke but for you Pespi fans, check out what I found at my local Save Mart grocery store:

IMG00092-20101021-1844.jpg

There was a stack of one or two dozen cases of these. I picked up one case yesterday but I think I might go back today or tomorrow for another case. I've been looking for this stuff for years.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Whoa! In glass bottles, yet? I am there!

Oh wait. Save Mart where?

I'm a lifelong Coke drinker, but the 20-ounce Pepsi Throwbacks are such a great taste from the past that I keep a few around for when I can't find the Mexican Coke in glass bottles.

Users who are viewing this thread