What's new

Know what annoys me??? (1 Viewer)

Brent Cantrell

Stunt Coordinator
Went to demo some new speakers today, just wanted to hear a few to narrow some decisions down, not a buying day yet. Walked into store, (hadn't been here before), stated, have
X receiver, have X to spend, want to achieve X, wish to demo through something similar to my setup please. Instead, I'm shown the most massive separates setup I've ever seen, shown 2 front speakers listening to pseudo-jazz, and told, "you also get 2 surrounds, a center, and a sub", (after saying I want no sub, getting SVS), "SVS, never heard of them. OHHH, internet company, that explains it...". Then told, that the surrounds sound like the front, (they're dipole), and they won't be able to throw in the extra 2 speakers for the rear for 7.1. When I asked what they sounded like for movies(specifically action, horror, etc)they put in the Eagles HFO CD. And I get all this for only $400 more than my budget. This just burns the piss up out of me! I understand I can't get the best speakers on the market, but I wasn't exactly shopping for jensen's either. It wouldn't have been so bad, but this was a high end shop here in town. Anybody else ever have this problem? I just needed to vent a bit, anybody know of any good retailers in Atlanta?
------------------
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...lias=BCantrell

Eric Scott

Second Unit
It wouldn't have been so bad, but this was a high end shop here in town
I hate say it but that is his job. Nobody walks into a store and says, "sell me something for more than I want to spend." People normally want better than they can afford and it's not that hard to convince them to spend more.
I don't know about this guy, I listen to what people want but I "never" listen to what a person says they want to spend. In fact, when people start out stating that they don't want to spend any money, I tell them their in the wrong store, (then smile and proceed.) My average sale is more than twice what the customer intended to spend. I know that I have suceeded when I watch their jaw drop when see the bill, and they often verbalize their shock at spending so much! ("I had no idea...!)
Consumers (not customers) forget that we have a business and the object to make money. It is not my job to show and tell and waste time with people who are not going to buy. I spend about 60 seconds doing that and if I think I have a "shopper" I walk away and do my paperwork or something productive.

Brent Cantrell

Stunt Coordinator
Well see, I generally don't do business with people like you, (no offense intended). This line of thinking pisses me off, I of course realize that businesses exist to make money, however, I am the one in charge of how much they'll make off me. Jesus, do you really think like this? What's the big deal about letting someone stick to their guns without pressuring them into something they don't want? I'm not saying I don't want more than I can afford, but I'm on a budget, which I plainly told the guy. As far as ignoring shoppers, with all the rhetoric in here about listen, listen, listen before you buy, isn't that a little hypocritical? If the speakers sound good, and meet my criteria, the sale's done, no pressure needed. If you're not making enough off that particular set that you need to pressure me into something else, don't sell that set, it's obviously doing you no good. Bait and switch?

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Brent,
I think you're still fired up at another HTF member :). Don't take it out on Eric.
I kind of agree with both of you. Brent, remember that we members of the HTF (and AVS and other respected forums) are among the minority. Most people don't know what to expect to pay. They may have a budget but that budget, typically, relates to the Radioshack (I can diss them, I once worked there) and KLH speakers/receivers/etc that they often deal.
I do not work directly in a HI FI store, but do home theater and whole house audio consultation on the side. More often than not my clients are surprised at what a quality system will cost them. As a general rule I expect that they will spend at least 1.5-2x what their original budget was. This is not ALWAYS true though. I accompany them around to different places to demo equipment of all kinds and if they tell me that they cannot tell the difference from setup A ($1000) and setup B($5000 or more) then by no means will I try to convince them otherwise. But that is not usually the case. I don't mind, it's not like I was making anything off of the sale anyway :).
Something else that happens in some HI FI stores is that they cannot meet someone's budget. They offer the least expensive they have and it still comes out over budget. It happens. I'm not saying that is the case with what you dealt with, Brent (b/c clearly the guy didn't understand what you were after, or didn't care. That or maybe he HATES the Eagles and classifies that as Horror! :)). But it is a possibility.
I'll also admit that in my sales days (which I may be returning to!) that I would try to upsell my customers...sort of. I would offer something first that would provide a much better value, explain why it was a better value and then see what they have to say about it. If they were adamant about their budget then I would work down from there.
I too would also leave a customer be if I thought he/she/they were not interested in buying anything. But NOT without first inviting them to look around, interact with the equipment, and not hesitate to come get me (or any other associate) if they had questions or concerns. This helps them relax and feel comfortable and trusting. Which I think is the best way to be. I love this hobby and am ALL about helping others enjoy it too. I've found that this enthusiasm also leads to more sales and both a happier customer and a larger paycheck for me. It's win win!
wink.gif
Ok, I've rambled enough....
Dan Hine

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Brent,
Be firm. Tell the saleman, when he tries to lead you down the more expensive path, that you are simply not interested in anything besides what you asked for. If he "insists" on you hearing or seeing something else, turn and walk out. The point will not be lost on the guy that instead of making "some" money, he made "NO" money.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Oh, and another fun thing to do is study up on whatever you want to buy...then pretend your totally ignorant. So, when you feel like the guy is pressuring you on something you don't want, start wasting his time with an absurd amount of questions. I have corraled salemen for up to an hour and a half doing this, with no intention of buying anything, while a dozen other potential customers came and went. Its always entertaining to watch the guy looking at all the other people milling about, looking for an opening to get away from you and make some money.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Brent Cantrell

Stunt Coordinator
Honestly I wasn't taking my frustration over the other topic out on Eric, that kind of thinking infuriates me, I can absolutely understand educating someone as to quality and explaining why what they want won't meet their needs or desires, however, in this situation, we weren't talking about HTB's or low end stuff, I'm moving UP from entry level, (which I explained). But saying, 'I never listen to what they say they want to spend' and things like that bug me, that doesn't do much to make me want to give them my business. And we all know that spending upwards of 2500/3500 gives us plenty of options for a 5.0(no sub) setup. Just annoying, Eric, I wasn't flaming at you or anything, hope you didn't take it that way.

Eric Scott

Second Unit
quote: Jesus, do you really think like this?[/quote]You damned right! (No offense taken or intended.)
Brent, I wasn’t trying to get you more pissed off, I was only trying to give you my point of view from the other side. Now, if a person asks for something specific that I have, I will show it to them. Otherwise, back to plan A, (sell them as high a ticket as you can.) That is my job. I am in a high end store and people who come in know that the mark up is high and merchandise is expensive.
I guess I was expressing some of the frustrations I have with consumers, who come in and just totally waste my time. (I’m sorry if I made it sound like you were one of those.) Believe it or not there are plenty of people willing to take an hour of your time and have no intention of buying anything from you. As I said, I listen to customers requests and if someone makes it clear to me what it is they want, I will help them get it.
On the other hand, there is a kind of little waltz that goes on between buyers and sellers, and they both need know the steps, (or they can’t dance together.)
My workload goes well beyond selling, so I must manage my time efficiently and maximize each sale, if I allow a shopper to waste my time, then it the same as giving them merchandise for free. (That is my point of view.) When steady customers come into the store and need a small cheap item, if I am busy (making big sales) I will often just tell them to take it, saving both of us time and money.
[Edited last by Eric Scott on September 19, 2001 at 08:34 PM]

Brent Cantrell

Stunt Coordinator
I can understand your frustration as well, I've been in retail myself a bit. I've rarely shopped without knowing in advance a bit of detail on the subject, take cars for example, go in, state desires, (specs, performance, etc), and price limit. Now I'm not saying I expect to buy a Jag for 20,000 or anything ridiculous, I DO stay within reason, and I don't tend to window shop, if I am window shopping, unless there's a tech question, I always wave salesguys off(and when they leave me alone, it DOES make me feel better about shopping there), but when we get to the crux of the matter, sitting down and talking about price, I really resent the line of, "well for this much more.....if you spent X more....", know what I'm saying? And it's the same thing shopping for HT stuff (to some degree, I don't mean HTB stuff), and I was very straightforward with this guy, even to the point of making sure there was NO ONE in the store but us, they weren't busy. I'm just sort of tired of people trying to sell on THEIR terms, a lot of people have forgotten that it's a buyer's market when it comes to leisure items. I didn't/don't intend this to be a flame war with anyone, and again, don't take anything that way.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Eric, what if your next customer was that transvestite marine in the yellow dress you left waiting at the restaurant in that other thread? Sorry couldn't resist.
laugh.gif

(its a crossover thread, it happens)

Eric Scott

Second Unit
Steve, as long he "she" has money in "her" purse I'm willing to snatch take it. If "she" throws a fit when "she" hears our prices, I'll tell her, "Keep your panty hose on, Sarg!"
It is the policy of our store not to show a customer anything less than best money can buy, unless they faint when they hear the price!

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Hmmmmmm....Here's a brief scenario: Near where I live, there are two A/V stores. They both deal only in car audio and home theater gear. Let's call them store A and store B.
When I got out of school and got a job where I could begin to afford HT and car audio equipment, I visited both stores.
The associates at store A had the attitude that if I was just browsing or I was not going to purchase the most expensive thing they had, then I was wasting their time. I have had several friends work at this store and this is the practice taught by the manager.
The associates at store B told me, when I told them I was just browsing, to feel free to look around and don't hesitate to ask for any information on any item I might be interested in. They did not immediately try to steer me towards the most expensive piece of equipment they sold, instead they asked what they could do to fit my budget, and we went from there. I have also had several friends who worked at store B, plus I have had extensive talks with the manager of store B. The technique described above is taught by the manager of the store and I have commended him several times on the professional manner with which the customers are treated.
After 9 years, I have spent a grand total of no money at store A and roughly $20k at store B, while becoming friends with almost every salesperson and the manager. In addition, I currently have a $3k car stereo set-up in the works for the 2002 show season.
Sales techniques go a long way and leave a lasting impression on the potential buyer. I'll give my money to the guy who listens to my needs and works with me every time. No worries. :)
------------------
My DVD Collection

SteveMc

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, and another fun thing to do is study up on whatever you want to buy...then pretend your totally ignorant.
Heh, I have done this. Mostly because the guy was an ass and assumed I didn't know anything. He started berating me for buying my RPTV at SAM'S CLUB (pioneer sd532-hd5) and not an authorized dealer because I had only had it 3 months when i got some phosphor burn on the red CRT. He insisted it wouldn't be covered under warranty and that it was most likely a refurbished model...yada yada. He looked at me like I was a dumbass when I was looking at a 300 disc sony changer and I mentioned that kenwood is releasing a 400+ changer. "A Dvd changer?" Yeah!!! Oh accordign to him, since he knows so much, that the line doubler in my tv would look great with progressive scan. Uh, last I checked, the internal doublers are bypassed in progressive mode. GRRR!!! I hate sale people
------------------
Crash
"I don't even own a gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack."
Help us get the Friday the 13th films-UNCUT. Click Here or here

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
My last several HT purchases were made in the same store. Why? The salesman was very helpfull, I spoke to him over the phone, spent several hours listening and being undecided, and this went on for a couple of days. The guy was very patient, and never tried to make me spend more than the $500 bucks I told him I had the first time. We gradually moved from speakers that were well within my price range to setups that streched it to its limit. I ended up spending about $600 that first time, than came back a couple of weeks later for more upgrades. That was a very positive experience.
--
Holadem

Frank_W

Stunt Coordinator
Now I know why I do not like (most) sales people.
Your job, in your opinion, is so important LOL.
People come into a store (a place to browse, check
prices, ask questions etc.) and expect to be
treated fairly.
Remember, these shoppers probably have a lot more
money than you and more important jobs. Think about
it the next time when you are looking for a new
job.

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
Well when I go shopping for electronics I NEVER go to buy. If you have this in mind, then there is absolutely no way you can get talked into spending more than you wanted or not getting what you wanted.
I usually just say what i'm interested in and ask what the best price is. Then I say well I can get that for much lower on the internet. I usually just throw them a totally made up price just to throw them off and know that I am a dilligent shopper. Then the guys run back to their manager to find the VERY best price because they know if they can't beat it then I'm walking out.
What can I say, it works every single time, and no I don't feel bad about giving people a made up price, cause salesmen bend the truth all the time, so why can't I.
Aaron

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Know what annoys me???
What annoys me is topics that don't give a clue asto the content of the message.
------------------
Philip Hamm
Pat's the best!™
AIM: PhilBiker
click on the little green house to see the evolution of my home theater!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks